Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-13-2011, 12:21 AM

I'd go with the TFO pro series, I own a 5wt and an 8wt, fantastic rods, and you can't beat the pricing. Lifetime warrany too.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 PM

You may wish to look at the new Winston Passport. George Anderson, the owner of the Yellowstone Angler in Livingston, Mt., just did a review on this rod in a 5 wgt. It sells for 199.00 I believe. You can go to their website and read about the Passport. It and numerous other rods were tested in their 5 wgt "shootout". If your interested you can also call the store ask about the matter. I have found them very helpful in the past. Always fun shopping for new gear!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:02 PM

That caught my eye also. LRO sells Winstons. Not sure if they have the Passport, but I bet they could get it.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trico View Post
You may wish to look at the new Winston Passport. George Anderson, the owner of the Yellowstone Angler in Livingston, Mt., just did a review on this rod in a 5 wgt. It sells for 199.00 I believe. You can go to their website and read about the Passport. It and numerous other rods were tested in their 5 wgt "shootout". If your interested you can also call the store ask about the matter. I have found them very helpful in the past. Always fun shopping for new gear!
If it is anything like the Ascent, I wouldn't give it the time of day. I bought a 9' 4-wt Ascent that felt good casting at the store when compared to 2 other similar priced rods. However, after one full day flinging double nymph rigs on the Clinch, I felt like my arm was about to fall off. Blasted thing weighs in at around 4.5 ounces. In fly rod terms that is a heavyweight. I think part of the problem for me was that when I test cast one at LRO, I was using a lightweight standard arbor reel. I also attached a ridiculously heavy Orvis Mid-Arbor to mine that weighed in at 6 ounces before line and backing was added.

So my point is to be sure to test cast whatever it is that you are looking at, and if possible do so with a similar reel you plan to use.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 AM

I've heard a few good things about Echo rods. I've never used one in any way, but they may be worth a look.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM

Here are the final results of the 5wt shootout done by yellowstone angler -> http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Pho...trodreview.htm

The RLW Passport did really well against other rods that cost 2 to 3 times more. I believe its a new rod for 2011, so LRO might not have it yet, or it might be a rod they've decided not to stock for one reason or another.

Chemeangler, I believe the characteristic you are talking about is its swing weight, which it did fairly well at (8 out of 10), unless your agony came from high-sticking the nymphs. Then again, we are talking about a budget friendly rod here, so we can't expect to fish nymphs all day and not be a little sore.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:13 PM

My recommendation is a St. Croix Avid. Not sure what that will run you these days, but it's a solid rod for the mid-range price level( if its still is mid-range). I have had two avids both purchased in the early 2000's, and I fished both hard - then gave each one to a different friend and they are still fishing them today. they are well built and cast very well. $600 rods are nice rods, but as someone else has already said, the fish don't care how much you spent. And if you have good taste in friends and fishing buddies, neither will they.

Owl
Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 PM

I like the new St. Croix Imperials. Just under $200, lightweight. I have a 8'6" 4 weight, 4 pc and have used it on tailwaters and mountain streams. Good warranty, have always like St. Croix's service. I would like to get 4 pc five weight in the same rod for use on tailwaters and larger mountain streams.

Neal
Old 01-14-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
My recommendation is a St. Croix Avid. Not sure what that will run you these days, but it's a solid rod for the mid-range price level( if its still is mid-range). I have had two avids both purchased in the early 2000's, and I fished both hard - then gave each one to a different friend and they are still fishing them today. they are well built and cast very well. $600 rods are nice rods, but as someone else has already said, the fish don't care how much you spent. And if you have good taste in friends and fishing buddies, neither will they.

Owl
The fish don't know but there is a reason they are more expensive. Much more enjoyable and easier to use a nice rod I'd say.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:00 PM

I saw this on another forum and thought it was almost perfect for this topic.
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7795583/

Last edited by flyman; 01-15-2011 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me