Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-15-2011, 11:47 PM

Flyman,
Well said my friend. Very good, we all need to stop and look a that little video often
just to keep things in perspective.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 PM

Flyman I loved the video and it speaks a lot of truth. I learned this past year that in the mountains the rod makes little difference at all it's just a stick to dabble a fly from and can easily break on rough and tumble mountain streams so you should go cheap. A cheap rod in the mountains will catch just as many trout as an expensive one unless you are in wider open streams like little river or deep creek but not so much on sams creek or road prong. Learned this after leaving my rod at camp and catching specks with great ease on my sons $10 spider man rod with tippet tied to the end lol. However tailwaters as CinciVol said he is fishing are a different story and a more expensive/fine rod may indeed serve you better there.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Flyman that was comical!! I love the part at the end where he asks do you have money for gas and he says no, but I have a new fly rod! It's all about the toys I say. A nicer more expensive rod ain't gonna make you catch more fish. I love my temple Fork 5WT pro series casts like a dream. I just bought a ZG Helios I had it out this weekend it's very forgiving so i must say there is some difference but like Crockett said......in tight streams you don't need a fancy rod.

I still am laughing at that video.....
Old 02-04-2011, 05:49 PM

I have a nice TFO 8' 2 wt, $149.00, not to bad a rod for the price. Especially since I use it only for a week in the Smoky's.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 PM

How about a Cortland Endurance 10 ft 4 piece 4wt for $125.00?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:45 PM

flyman-

I'm still laughing. Everyone should watch that video.

Good equipment helps, but it still boils down to skill of the user! Glad I'm not in marketing or advertising, I couldn't keep a straight face while dealing with the B.S.

Bill
Old 02-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Back when I got started fly fishing in 1980, I spent a couple of hundred dollars on several rods. None of which felt right. After receiving a good promotion at work, I decided to treat myself to a T&T 8ft 5wt. Top of the line, top in price. I wondered if I was being foolish paying so much for a rod. Could it be worth it? When the rod arrived and I cast it, I could not believe the difference. In a moment of monumental stupidity I lost it and promptly replaced it. Still have it and it is still my go to rod after more than 20 years. I've never kept track of it, but I'm sure I have spent more on leaders than what the rod cost me. Find a rod that you truly love regardless of price, and take care of it. You'll find it is the cheapest part of this fly fishing game. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 PM

CinciVol: Did you buy a rod yet. If so what did you end up getting?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 PM

I like TFO rods. I had a 5wt Professional but it was on the fast side for me. I traded it for a "Signature", also 5wt and it is really nice. All that being said, I don't think the action makes a ton of difference for fishing in the park, especially up high in smaller streams.

I've got one you can borrow if you would like to use one awhile until you buy.

-Matt
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
I like TFO rods. I had a 5wt Professional but it was on the fast side for me. I traded it for a "Signature", also 5wt and it is really nice. All that being said, I don't think the action makes a ton of difference for fishing in the park, especially up high in smaller streams.

I've got one you can borrow if you would like to use one awhile until you buy.

-Matt

I will borrow it to go to the Clinch or SoHo with you Matt. I need to expand my horizons and stop being such a mountain snob. Seriously when I get my Korkers back from the chinese sewing sweatshop where they are reparing them we should go.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...