Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-22-2010, 07:04 PM

Default Looking for Caney Fork advice..

About 20 minutes ago, me and a couple buddies decided to try the Caney tomorrow. None of us have ever visited this river, so.. I was hoping someone could give us advice as to where a good access point would be. A land address would be nice, but anything would help. I believe its near the Crossville area, but thats about all I know.

Thanks ahead of time,
Ryan
Old 12-22-2010, 07:20 PM

Not much of a window.

http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakein...bmit=View+info

Unless you fish at Betty's Island early and the dam late.

Land address? Look at the online TWRA map.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
About 20 minutes ago, me and a couple buddies decided to try the Caney tomorrow. None of us have ever visited this river, so.. I was hoping someone could give us advice as to where a good access point would be. A land address would be nice, but anything would help. I believe its near the Crossville area, but thats about all I know.

Thanks ahead of time,
Ryan
You can usually fish the dam area about an hour and a half to two hours after generation shuts down. I just use midges and sowbugs. Midges in black or olive wrapped with gold or sliver wire and bead head work best for me. Size 16 or 18 should do it. I use a indicator also.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:30 AM

Exit 268 Buffalo Valley Rd coming on I40 West from Knoxville or I40 East from Nashville). Go down the ramp and go left (coming from Knoxville) about 3-5 miles until you come to a 3 or 4 way stop go right and past the gas station and up the hill. About half way up the hill you will see a road to the right that will take you past the corp of engineer buildings to the parking lot. Park and walk toward the small bathroom building and/or port o john. You will see a trail (gravel?). Follow that trail until it dead ends into a set of wooden steps (bout half a mile...ignore the steps on the left and down the hill if you see them. They are older and there is really just some backwater right there). Once at the steps at the end of the trail, wade out about 3/4ths of the way across the river (depending on depth at the time) and start fishing. You can usually wade out about 20-30 minutes after generation stops.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 12-23-2010 at 10:01 AM..
Old 12-23-2010, 01:02 AM

I think BRF has you informed on location pretty well. I have fished the caney a few times this year. The fishing seems to be only OK this year. That is just for me though. If I were to fish it I would start out with a #14 BH Grey Sowbug up top w/ a #20 black, dark grey, or olive Zebra midge. If the fish are picky, try the sowbug with no beadhead. I have also done well with pheasant tails and very small glo-bugs as a dropper. (#16-18 usually). You can really use whatever. The classic wooly buggers in brown, black, olive, or white do well. This time of year and as it gets colder the fish really seem to like the white ones.
Good luck!
Garrett
Old 12-23-2010, 10:49 AM

This might help.