Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-23-2010, 08:26 PM

Default Yellowstone Fisheries Plan

For anyone that enjoys fishing in Yellowstone or hopes to do so in the future, the new Native Fish Conservation Plan Environmental Assessment is available to read. I just posted my opinions on the plan on my blog so let me know what you think...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
For anyone that enjoys fishing in Yellowstone or hopes to do so in the future, the new Native Fish Conservation Plan Environmental Assessment is available to read. I just posted my opinions on the plan on my blog so let me know what you think...

I thought you were going to say they wanted to poison all of yellowstone lake to get rid of the lake trout or some other crazy stuff, good objective would be a horrible approach.

Yeah a lot of guys have been making films about those big browns. While I am not interested in read 300+ pages of that paper, doesn't this seem like a place to start to safeguards the two species mentioned?

I scanned the document. One thought I have, how are they going to get buy in to keep invasives out? If you are a guy in Tennessee who loves fishing the big browns in the upper Gibbon, what is keeping a local or guide from reintroducing them in a few years? It is a serious question they should be able to answer. Hoping it won't happen is like wishing the lake trout were never put into Yellowstone lake.

Sounds like they already made up their minds not to do a bounty thing on the lake trout, stupid in my opinion, just supports another cottage industry (commercial netters) who once established will never let lake trout go away since it will be their bread and buttter. The squawfish bounty is sure helping on the Columbia River and that is a much heartier species than the lake trout.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:32 AM

Thanks David, I'll have to give that at least a quick browsing when I get a chance.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:29 PM

Gutshot,

According to their own report, the upper Gibbon was historically without trout so it would not be a restoration. There are other streams in YNP that already have excellent populations of cutts and need more help to keep invasive rainbows out. Hybridization in areas where the cutts are still mostly genetically pure is a far greater problem than a stream that seems to have never had cutts in the first place. The meadow stretches of the Gibbon warm up too much in the summer for most trout anyway...the browns can better stand the warm water temperatures...

You bring up some valid concerns, the largest in my opinion is someone illegally reintroducing browns. All things considered I think it would be more a question of when than if...

I don't know if it will do any good or not but please make sure to send comments, especially on the lake trout bounty...I think thats a good idea and its a shame that they have seemingly let it go...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com