Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-25-2010, 10:33 PM

Default Classic Wet Flies

Does anyone on here tie the classic wet flies and fish them in the park? If so, which ones do you use and how well do they work?
Old 12-26-2010, 12:40 PM

I don't tie but can remember my grandfather telling me that when he first started fishing in what is not the park all they fished with were wet flies....two that I used to use with him when we would fish together were a Ginger Quill and a Lead Wing Coachman....would work when nothing was hitting a dry.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:27 PM

I tie a lot of easy simple soft hackles and most of em' originated in England. North Country Spiders and such. I tie a lot of Blue Duns, Iron Blue Duns, Black Zulu's, Partridge and Orange, yellow etc. I don't tie classic winged wets much and if I do I use a clump of feathers instead of a pair. It's a lot easier and the fish doesn't care. In fact the more simple the fly is to tie the better it fishes for me. I don't bother much with natural looking flies or bothersome recipes. So I guess to answer your question. I don't tie classic wets much but a variety on those (Soft hackles), and yes they fish great.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:49 PM

Hans, I wonder what they will do on the Hiwassee and in the Tellico corridor? I guess I'll just have to research the patterns, tie some, and field test them. It's tough but someone has to do it!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 PM

John,

North Country Spiders and soft hackles work great on the HI and Tellico. Iron Blue Duns when the quills come out in spring. Partridge and Yellow for the yellow stuff later in spring and so on. I'm sure classic wets would work fine also. I'm not good enough on the vice but maybe flyman on here can speak on those flies.

On another topic, are you council chair for TU in TN nowadays? Thought I saw your name in the latest Trout Magazine.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 PM

That's right, Hans, I am the chair for the Tennessee Council for TU. I'm planning to visit the state chapters ASAP to get acquainted with the chapter officers and members. Since I'm retired, I might have to leave early and wet a line before the meeting.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 PM

Hi every one. I was reading the thread on Classic wet flies and thought I would share a few with you that I tye and fish with. I am a classic wet fly tyer and a columnist for the Catskill Fly Tyers Guild. I have been fishing classic wet flies for 22 years now and tyiing them for about 20. Hope you like the flies.

Sincerely
Andy Brasko

Old 02-26-2011, 11:22 AM

beautiful flies! i've been tying for about 8 years, but only tying trout flies for about 2 months. it's proving a lot more difficult than tying the larger saltwater flies or largemouth flies i cut my teeth on, but i'm getting the hand of it slowly. i've tied a few wets, both classic and a few of my own little variations while just goofing around on the vise, and tried them, but as i'm still new to both trout tying AND trout fishing, i've yet to land one on one of my own, but i'm confident once i learn the fish themselves that some of my flies will perform. again, NICE FLIES!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:40 AM

I love these as works of art! I think they look great framed. I have to admit; I have never fished any of these 'classic wet flies'. Very nicely done!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-26-2011, 10:04 PM

Those wet flies are amazing. I wish I had the talent and/ or skill to tie those beauties. Thanks for sharing!

You have to wonder what some of those flies are meant to represent. Some wet flies look like insects, others look like trout fins and others look like something different altogether (at least to me). What could they possibly be looking like to a trout?