Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-29-2010, 07:05 PM

Default Need an opinion on new reel

I finally got to unwrap the G.Loom NRX 5 wt and now I am looking to put a NICE reel on the thing. I have been struggling with this since Christmas morning. I have never owned a really nice real so my experience is none with a quality piece of reel equipment (I don't think Hobb's Creek qualifies as a quality piece )

I have looked at Galvans, Hatch, Bauer, Lamson, and some Ross. I am very confused. I am "locked up" so I need some feedback on this.

I want something that is bullet proof when it comes to durability. I want a high quality drag, a good warranty, and something that looks good. My price range is $300-$750.

I do like the looks of the Galvan Spoke reels and the Hatchs but looks are not the most important by no stretch of the imagination. The Lamson Vanquish looks SWEEEEET as well.

So I would appreciate any feedback you guys can give would be great. I need the help and if I am going to plop some money down then I want a good reel.

Thanks,

DBK
Old 12-29-2010, 11:09 PM

Personally, I've never found the drag to be very important on anything below an 8 wt. So I cringe at spending that kind of money on the least important item in a fly fishing setup. However, I totally understand and concur with your standards. I too have always admire real quality in all mechanical things. And to diminish a Loomis with a "cheap" real would be akin to sacrilegious.

I like Abel, Bauer and Ross reels. But most any reel in that price range (especially the upper end) should be excellent.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 AM

I have always heard that you should put some line on the reel and give a quick pull to check the startup on the drag. Fly Fish America magazine has some great reviews of reels. You might try their website, http://www.FlyFishAmerica.com. One issue had a Hardy titanium saltwater reel for $8 grand! I didn't pay that much for my van!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 PM

I really like Ross reels. I have 3 or 4 Rhythms (now discontinued), and a couple Evolutions (replaced with the Evolution LT).

while I don't beat or abuse my equipment, I'm by no meas gentle with it either. It's made to use and I fish pretty hard during the summer months. My oldest Rhythm is on it's 4th season and still looks and functions like new. I fell last summer with one of the Evolutions on my rod and the reel landed right on a big rock in the West Prong of the Pigeon River. It was a pretty nasty fall. The reel has a couple scratches and one pretty good ding, but the frame or spool didn't bend and it functions perfectly. A little battle scarred but works fine.

My son has one of the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbors and it's also a good reel that is sturdy and well built.

Hope this helps.
Jeff
Old 12-31-2010, 12:28 AM

All those are quality reels, I might add a Hardy or Able to the list. Check how much the reels weight, are they easy to convert from left hand to right hand wind, type of finish, and the cost of extra spools. In the price range you are looking at, you don't have much to worry about.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:19 AM

i have that same rod , best 5 wt. that i have ever owned, including z axis, xp, glx, as for reels it needs to be black so i put a Abel super 4 with a SA gpx line. Abel has closed out the super 4,5, found a deal on a new one for less than $300.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:16 PM

I have a couple of Galvan OB reels...love them. Their drag is smooth and quiet...at least it was for the few fish I've had on that tested it. If you're a fan of the sound made by the Orvis click drag system, you won't like the Galvans as much...they (the Galvans) are much quieter. The Spoke is a great looking reel.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
i have that same rod , best 5 wt. that i have ever owned, including z axis, xp, glx, as for reels it needs to be black so i put a Abel super 4 with a SA gpx line. Abel has closed out the super 4,5, found a deal on a new one for less than $300.
I am sold on the super 5 if I can get if for around $300. I was only able to find it for $430. if you can send me the website or location then I will be picking that up. I can find it on Abels website for the $430 but somewhere in the $300 range would be SWEEET!

thanks,
DBK
Old 01-01-2011, 11:39 PM

Here is a Super 4 for $300.

http://www.redtruckflyfishing.com/on...s-super_series
Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 PM

I like the Orvis Mid Arbor Reels, but I read somewhere that Orvis is discontinuing them. Has anyone else heard this? I also read that they are discontinuing the Batten Kill Bar Stock trout reels.