Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-02-2011, 12:01 AM

Default Fishin' Colorado 2011 - Need advise

Instead of our usual Montana trip this year we are thinking about Colorado. I fished the White river in'05 but don''t want to go back there.
We're looking for a central location where we can head out each day to a variety of streams within an hours drive. We prefer small to medium size wadeable water that doesn't have a ton of pressure. We'll be there for 7-10 days ....Anyone got any suggestions ...Breckenridge ? Silverthorne ? Gunnison ? Estes Park ?

Sure would appreciate any input Thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 01:18 AM

Gunnison...or maybe Durango... Personally I would stay on the west slope and personally really like the southwest part of the state. The San Juan mountains have so many great streams that have very little pressure. Gunnison is a great base if u want to fish a little north of there. You will have plenty of good options from small streams to big rivers as well as stillwaters... If you want some specifics on streams, shoot me an email and I'll be glad to share some of what I know about the area...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-04-2011, 02:15 AM

You might also want to poke around some over at OBN: www.outdoorbloggernetwork.com

There are a few good blogs listed there coming from CO, I think...

I'm hoping to get out there this year myself for my first trip West. Will it ever be the same afterwards? lol
Old 01-04-2011, 04:23 PM

Default The Upper Rio Grande

Its hard to beat Southern Colorado for variety.

I would second David's advice on Gunnison.

But if it were me, I would setup a campsite somewhere above Creede (maybe even above the Rio Grande Reservoir). There are lots of great tributaries to fish on the Upper Rio Grande, if you are willing to do a bit of hiking. A very under rated fishery....

If you want to stay in a hotel/motel, Durango would be another good choice. Lots of fishing options within an hours drive, without as much hiking.

Also, another overlooked stream is the Conejos River. Lots of great fishing and in a beautiful location. Camping and Lodging options abound. Lots of good tributary streams, as well.

Best time of year would be Mid/Late July to Mid/Late September...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 01-04-2011, 06:42 PM

Default CO trip

If you do visit Durango area, don't forget the San Juan river is about 25 miles south, that could always be a day trip. In July lots of good dry fishing and browns and rainbows are common at 18 to 22 inch. big predictable tailwater, not like the Arkansas area.
Rocky Mountain Park is another great area. A couple of years ago I stayed in a cabin on the Big thompson, good brown fishing. In Rocky Mountain Park, you may see people but the idea is to go high, plenty of cuts, browns, brookies and bows. Once you climb a few feet you usually do not see another soul. My wife got a grand slam the last day we fished. Also plenty of other streams in the area outside the park. Tosdd Hosmann has a couple of good books on Rocky Mountain National Park and surrounding streams
Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 PM

Aspen/Basalt is within range of the Frying Pan, Roaring Fork, and Colorado Rivers. If you go during the drake hatch there it can really be something.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 AM

THANKS to all of you for your input. I will keep all of your ideas close so it will make the decision process a little easier. Right now we are leaning toward Gunnison but I haven't done any research on the Durango area yet. I have ordered a brochure from the Gunnison Chamber of Commerce and that might help too. I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOU ....Bob
Old 01-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Default Colorado 2011

I've fished Colorado every year since 2006 and I've fished the Front Range from the Cache le Poudre to the Rio de los Pinos and everywhere in between. I now spend most of my time exploring the high country.

I have, however, fished some of the more popular streams too (Blue, Arkansas, Southe Platte, Colorado, Conejos, Rio Grande, Frying Pan, etc.). If you want my recommendation; if you want medium-sized, wadable rivers I would stay in the I-70 corridor somewhere around Dillon/Silverthorne.

With that as a hub, the Blue tailwater is in your backyard and I've caught some really nice fish here. You are a little over an hour from the Colorado, South Platte headwaters, Arkansas, Eagle, and (my favorite destination) RMNP.

Others have suggested Gunnison, I have friends that also enjoy that area but the only place I've fished there is the fish hatchery (Roaring J ??) on the East River in search of kokanee salmon.

If you want some "local" advice, I would recommend this small forum:

http://coloradomountainfishing.com/forum/index.php

Most of the guys on that forum ar backcountry anglers too, but I'm sure they could offer their opinions on the popular waters.

I'm heading out the first two weeks of August, but other than a trip to the southern part of the state in search of big Rio Grande cutts, most of my time will be high in the backcountry of RMNP.

Good luck,
Chris
Old 01-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Thanks Chris, Im looking at the I-70 area as well. I appreciate your input....Bob
Old 01-08-2011, 07:31 PM

i always suggest the creed area and even northern nm.

Rio Grande, Gunnison, Small Streams, Rio Costillo just to name a few.... Arkansas isnt far from there either. Email if you want more details.

DD