Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-12-2010, 09:53 PM

Default Winter Tying

What you guys tying up this Winter? Here's a couple of patterns I tie a lot of in Winter:

Too much thread on that last one.

This one turned out ok:

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 12-12-2010 at 10:23 PM..
Old 12-12-2010, 11:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

Ive been tying all my favorite patters but im substituting CDC in them. They look great, tellico's, pheasant tails, princes... CDC makes em all look better! Ive tied over 150 so far, with my goal being 500. Sounds like alot when I say it, but I went though 400 last summer alone.. I tie more of some patters, and less of others. Ive been putting it off, but id say soon Im going to have to start tying the quill gordons and blue quills...when this snow clears Im going to have to make a major material run to LRO!!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:35 AM

Impressive 2weight. I don't tie that much. More like 50 for the year. I may tie more this year though.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 12-13-2010 at 11:04 AM..
Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

how often do you tie? I try to tie a few every day, even if its just a half a dozen flies. I also understand that most people dont use nearly as many flies as I go through. But I have had folks lose 16 flies in one trip before, so they add up fast!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 AM

I've mostly been tying quill gordons and little black stoneflies.
I'll try to put up some pictures tonight.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
how often do you tie? I try to tie a few every day, even if its just a half a dozen flies. I also understand that most people dont use nearly as many flies as I go through. But I have had folks lose 16 flies in one trip before, so they add up fast!

I don't tie very often. Just enough to get me, my sister and fishing bud through the year. I do need to tie more now that I've gotten my sister into it. She can lose three flies in ONE hole!
Old 12-13-2010, 12:28 PM

I usually tie everyday no particular pattern. I just like to tie. Right now I am tying Mabel Abel's for a swap of traditional Catskill style dry flies. Next I will probably tie some s/h's using some Bison under fur and picric dyed Partridge. That fly was working pretty well on the Chattooga last week.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
I've mostly been tying quill gordons and little black stoneflies.
I'll try to put up some pictures tonight.
Lookin forward to it, Granny.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
I usually tie everyday no particular pattern. I just like to tie. Right now I am tying Mabel Abel's for a swap of traditional Catskill style dry flies. Next I will probably tie some s/h's using some Bison under fur and picric dyed Partridge. That fly was working pretty well on the Chattooga last week.

Way above my abilities for now. Would love to see pics.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:29 PM

95% of my fishing is for warm water species with emphasis on crappie, bluegills and largemouth bass.

I tie some trout flies, but usually end up buying enough to get me through while I'm at LRO. I did tie up a bunch of quill gordons for a spring trip last year. I tie a lot of BHPT's and Hare's Ear nymphs and Tellico nymphs.

I use them for both trout and the warmwater species in the creeks around here. Size's 14 - 18 for trout and 10-14 for the others.

I do also tie some griffith's gnats, adams and midge patterns down to size 20 for tailwaters and days in the Smokys when nothing else seems to be working.

But most of my tying over the winter wil be poppers, gurglers, crease flies, various foam bugs, soft hackles, woolie worms, woolie buggers and various flashy shinny streamers that more or less represent baitfish.

I may give spinning deer hair another try. After about 2 dozen abject failures last winter, I had 8 or 9 flies that were passable. Even the ugly failures produced some nice bass last summer so the fish are not as picky as I am, but they sure were ugly at first.

I'll be posting photos over the winter as I get the tying stuff sorted out again and get my tying station set up for the winter.

Jeff