Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 PM

Love this thread.

Biggest fish I've caught in the park was a 14" brown. Actually, it wasn't me, it was my smart aleck teen age son (but I did put him on the fish so I can claim it right??). He caught it just upstream from the Metcalf Bottoms picnic area. It was a brute and fought like a much larger fish.

He has caught much larger fish, but that fish was a real treat coming from the Smoky's stream.

Jeff
Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM

Rog 1 and Bran--There was also a trophy stream on the N. C. side in the same time period. It was Bradley Fork, and rest assured it had 16-inch (and bigger) rainbows in it. As a teenager I caught a few rainbows of that size and larger in Deep Creek and hooked a bunch. Unfortunately I knew so little I didn't understand how to play a fish from the reel (and my reel only had a click drag anyway).
As for keeping trophy fish, even as wall hangers, there's no need today. Some quick measurements and a couple of photos can lead to a plastic mount which will last much loner and look much better than the old-time skin mounts.

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 PM

What a great thread! I've yet to catch my Smokies monster, but I'm sure he's out there...and I may never get him, but that's ok. If I catch a few and get to enjoy the mountains, that's enough for me. But those are some monster fish! Thanks for sharing that Hugh!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:06 PM

I hope I'm not doing anything wrong by posting a hyperlink to this picture and some of you probably know this fellow in this blog but here's a sweet speck that supposed to be a southern strain form the Smokies:
http://www.donkeyjawposse.com/2007_09_01_archive.html
Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Ahaa, after I linked it I saw it had a link to "LRO comments", duh! Anyhow it's worthy of a "monster trout" thread for sure! Congrats to the gent that caught this brute!
Just another reminder that they're being caught, they're there, all the pieces just have to fall together on that one single cast.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:17 PM

Looks like the real thing to me. And also, after a few clicks, tells me where to NOT bother fishing this year. Do we really feel the need to disclose every special place on the internet? I mean, don't get me wrong - it's not this is a "secret location" but couple it with that photograph and....well,....whatever....
Old 01-15-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
Looks like the real thing to me. And also, after a few clicks, tells me where to NOT bother fishing this year. Do we really feel the need to disclose every special place on the internet? I mean, don't get me wrong - it's not this is a "secret location" but couple it with that photograph and....well,....whatever....

Who decides what places are special ?