Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 01-06-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
I have the Hennessey ultralight asym it weighs right at 2lbs with 2 stakes and the fly. I must say I sleep way better in the hammock but when I go fishing I prefer my tent for a place to ross things. I have to put my pack on the bear cables when I use my hammock. I use a hefty garbage bag over the pack and let it hang like a skirt after poking a small hole in the bottom. When I tent I either use my Six Moon designs Lunar Duo at 46 o/zs or I will take my new Tarptent moment right at 2lbs with tent,fly.poles and stakes.

I use ultralight pack a ULA Circuit it's about 3600 Ltrs but I must say Osprey packs do carry very well and the Argon 80 and the Aether 70 both are good choices and will hold and carry plenty of gear for overnight trips. With either hammock or the tent I have my pack weight right at 29-32 lbs thats with carrying waders,vest,rod,reel,net...I just bought the new Korkers Chrome wading boots I am hoping to be able to hike into the backcountry using them to save even more weight.

Just remember pack carefully and remember ounces turn into pounds quickly but carry what your comfortable with and enjoy.
Oh the Henry Shires Moment... Man that is a caddilac of tarp tents. I want one of those! Better have Dawn guard it while you are out fishing man...

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 01-08-2011, 12:38 AM

So I have a question. How do you keep from getting squished in one? I have tried but it gets real tight around my shoulders.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 01-09-2011, 10:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Most people don't know how to lay in them you have to kick your feet off to one side and your upper body over to the other kinda like a diamond and it actually opens up and allows you to lay mostly flat even sleep on your side like I do. Tieing them the right height off the ground and making sure the ends are even help as well.

I also forgot to mention that when I take the hammock VS the tent I leave another 1lb of weight behind because I don't need the inflatable sleep mat.Thus allowing for extra bourbon and good cigars.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 PM

Spotlight is right if you lay in them straight it will curl you up like being in a banana peel. You can't hang it tight you have to leave lots of slack or "sag" in it aka hang it high on the ends like Spotlight said. Then lay in it diagonally. If you get it right you will be laying totally flat like on a bed and it will be unbelievable. If you have it wrong then your back will be bent or bowed and you won't be laying flat but curled.

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 03-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Default I am not a ground dweller

I love hammocks! I have a ENO Single nest and a Grand Trunk Ultralight. I use a Campmoor silnylon tarp year round. In fact I stayed in my hammock four nights in January in northern Minnesota this year. I was very warm! The keys are insulation under the hammock and a warm water bottle in the sleeping bag. It got down to -26 and I was fine. Blackbird and Hennessy are OK but a light weight hammock of any kind id fine. Good thing about living here is the bug net (ie. extra weight) is not needed.

I use a Golite Jam pack. My base weight for summer backpacking is 12 pounds plus food and water.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:56 PM

I'll chime in, albeit a bit late. I have a Hennessey Hammock (expedition asym w/ undercover system + snake skins) + a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. I really like both, and the one I take depends on the scenario. With a little practice and advice, you can sleep fine in a hammock regardless of the weather (at least round these parts). If it rains a lot, a vestibule sure is nice for keeping gear dry. I've pitched my hammock w/ the snake skins over the hammock part just to use the rain fly for chillin in a rain shower, and it worked great, but it is a bit crowded for any more than 2 people. I will say, however, that I have back issues and trouble sleeping on the ground but I sleep better in my hammock than I do in my own bed. Comfort level is second to none if you are well prepared for the conditions.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:59 AM

I've been considering either a hammock or a bivy for a while to lighten my load further; waders and boots add 5 pounds to my pack so I want to find things to offset the weight for early and late year trips. My current tent is a GoLite Trig 2; a hammock could save me close to 2 pounds.

I have been using a REI Cruise 60; the Flash 65 is an improved version of this pack. I would highly recommend looking at that pack.

-Matt-
Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
I've been considering either a hammock or a bivy for a while to lighten my load further; waders and boots add 5 pounds to my pack so I want to find things to offset the weight for early and late year trips. My current tent is a GoLite Trig 2; a hammock could save me close to 2 pounds.

I have been using a REI Cruise 60; the Flash 65 is an improved version of this pack. I would highly recommend looking at that pack.

-Matt-
I use a Flash 65 too and it has served me well also fairly light compared to most packs out there. I think it weighs about 2.5 lbs and holds 65 liters. I think I save weight in the warmer weather using my hammock/tarp combo (ENO single nest with Jacks r Better 8x over my tent but in colder weather it is about the same since I have to drag along underquilt and larger tarp also.

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 04-01-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post

-Matt-
I've never slept in a bivy, but I've laid down in one a buddy had laid out and didn't like it at all. A hammock with a rain fly at least gives you a "shelter" and there's very little weight penalty if you go with one of the ultralights.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 PM

I'm the guy with the Warbonnet. I really like it. I tried a hennessey several years ago and froze my hiney off. I now use an underquilt which I think is almost essential, especially for me since I sleep cold.

If you all are still pack-shopping, keep in mind the size/bulk of your current gear. I bet that most sleeping bag purchases (for backpackers) come about when someone buys a new pack and their old sleeping bag is too bulky. I know that happened to me. Your stuff is heavier/has more volume than you think...

--Matt