Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Not trying to hijack this most excellent thread, but just a little offer - some outdoor blogger friends and I are having a Smoky Mountain Trout Camp get-together this coming spring. If anyone might be interested in joining us, LRO board members are more than welcome... Link: http://southernblueridge.wordpress.c...ay-20-22-2011/
Old 01-11-2011, 09:46 PM

We're going to be a little north of ChemEangler in Gunnison Co., Plan on fishing the Black Canyon along with a number of smaller waters. We'll have 1.5 miles of private water on the Tomichi that is in front of the home we are renting for a glorious 10 days
Old 01-13-2011, 03:59 PM

Default Trip for 2011

Old Tom and I are going Yellowstone in the middle of July for a week and a half. Hoping for some long days fishing the Lamar & Slough.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:49 PM

I dream year round of my annual Canada trip for Musky and Smallmouth. This year, there will be a nice twist if I can get busy in the shop.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:14 PM

You're not the first person I've heard say this. I've made an annual trip out to MT/Yellowstone for the past 4 years. I'm thinking about trying CO this year. Do you fly into Denver and drive down to Durango or is there a closer airport? Is there a lot of access in CO besides RMNP?
My ideal fishing is similar to the water in the Ne part of the park in Yellowstone. Slough, Lamar valley, Soda Butte. Is there anything similar in CO?
I'd rather not have to pay a guide to float every day too.

Last edited by Tiger fly; 01-15-2011 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Mispelling
Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 PM

Albuquerque will be your closest airport to Durango. Easy nice driving of 3 1/2 hours. Just make sure you got gas and water. Desert between, Albuquerque and Farmgington NM and very very long distances between gas stations if they are even open. Beautiful country and you can make a stop at Navajo Dam for some fishing on San Juan tailwater.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:02 PM

When I fly, I fly into Denver and I've found Frontier airlines (Denver is the main hub) to have the cheapest flights. From Denver, Frontier also has two flights a day to Durango.

I can't recommend any waters in that area of the state, the closest I have been is Gunnison. Although over three hours from Durango, the Conejos is very similar to the Lamar - minus the cutthroat.

Good luck,
Chris
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 PM

Would love to visit/fish Alaska. We'll see if that comes to fruition this year!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:53 AM

The trip I am most looking forward to is an annual reunion of my grad school buddies. Everyone meets up here in Knoxville and we spend the weekend fishing the local tailwaters and in the Smokies. It is a great time and a great way to catch up with good friends who now live further away than I would like. This annual reunion has helped to keep several friendships strong despite living hundreds of miles away from each other.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:10 PM

Alaska is great !Fished the Naknek river at the Naknek River Camp out of King Salmon.
Was a great experience. Did it the last two summers. This place was very affordable. Great fishing. Great service!