Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Default Fly Tying Kit

Is there a trout fly tying kit that is recommended for a beginner or should you buy the tools and supplies seperately? and If I need to buy the items separately what would be recommended to start with? I would like to tie nymphs at first and then tie dry flies.

I have scanned through the General Fly Tying section and have not found the answer to my question.

I know that LRO offers beginner fly tying classes but I live several hours away and cannot attend the class easily.

Thank you for the help.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:10 PM

I know that I as well as many others started tying with on eof the basic tying kits found at any number of sporting good stores. The one I have I got from my father-in-law who had it sitting around for a couple of years and never used it. The vise that comes with these isn't great, but gets the job done. I haven been meaning to get a new a vise but still am using the one that came with the kit. I don't know the break down price wise, as far as if it is cheaper to buy the kit or the individual tools. I know that Gander Mountain has a tools only kit (as to many other places) if you want to buy all your materials separately.

Speaking of the materials, the kits usually come a rather small variety of materials so be prepared to buy some extra materials if you already have some particular flies you want to tie. So you will be buying materials regardless of if you get a kit that includes them or just the tools.

Mine came with book that had some really difficult to follow instructions, and I almost gave up on tying after trying to follow them. However instructional videos on you-tube, and web-page tutorials saved the day so to speak for me. Hugh Hartsell's webpage was a great source of information for me because he has a great hatch chart some good tutorials with lots of explanatory pictures (and now some videos too). Also the back issues of the little river journal have one or two good tying tutorials in each issue.

Hope this helps some.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:53 PM

Try doing a search for fly tying kit and you will come up with a lot of info. Here's one I found that looks pretty good. For my two cents, I would not get the kit, but buy separate items.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...fly+tying+kits
Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 PM

I recommend to new tyers to buy the materials separately. What happens many times in kits is you will get material and hooks that you will never use. Pick out a few patterns and buy those materials. Such as a wooly bugger, a few nymphs.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:24 PM

Thank you for the replies.

I was not impressed with buying a beginner's kit and felt that the kit would contain several items that would never be used.

The forum web address from Silvercreek was what I am looking for since it list the tools and supplies needed.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:33 PM

Another consideration. I do not know how deep your pockets are, but if you buy a quality vise and tools and decide fly tying is not for you, you can sell the quality stuff. That will limit your loss. Cheap stuff will not sell and you will be out the entire amount.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:28 PM

jrgator-

I understand your predicament. For my birthday last March, my wife got me a Renzetti Traveler vise with a pedestal mount, and a Dr. Slick tool kit that had all of the tools that I would need for now. She did a lot of research BEFORE she bought anything. (She knew that she would be fishing with what ever I tied!) What ever vise you get, get one that can rotate the fly 360 deg. so that you can see and tie on the bottom of the fly. The first thing that a fish sees is the bottom of the fly!

I agree with others that most of these so-called kits are crap! With a cheap vise, poor tools, and lousy materials. Don't waste your money or time on those.

Get quality stuff, and it will make tying more pleasurable. If you decide later that you want to sell it, you'll get decent money for it.

For lessons, I would check to see if there is a TU chapter near you. They usually have a session once a month or more. There are also good books, and Hugh Hartsell's instructions and now his videos are outstanding and at no cost to you.

Hope to see some of your flies on this Forum in the near future.

Bill
Old 01-12-2011, 06:27 PM

I agree you should think about buying the tools and some materials separately rather then a kit, Start off by tying something like a zebra midge. In this case you only need some black tying thread, some beads and something like TMC 2487 hooks in a couple of sizes such as 16 and 18 and you will have some flies that will catch fish anywhere. Look around and talk to some others and get a feel for what you want. I can't say you save money by tying your own! You do have a lot of fun and enjoyment!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:47 PM

Looking back, I'm glad that I did not get a "kit". It would have been wasted money. The link that silvercreek provided has some great information in it.

As far as learning goes the internet is an incredible resource and can be more help for a newbie than books. Pictures and descriptions are great but video of someone tying can be way more valuable in my opinion.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 01-12-2011, 06:54 PM

To follow up to my earlier post, get a book called "the fly tying bible" by Peter Gathercole. It has a 100 patterns for dries, wets, nymphs, etc, and has step-by-step instructions in color. Also explains tools, materials, when to use what, and tying techniques. I use it as my "go-to" reference on a regular basis. Also Orvis Books has a good tying book.

Bill