Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 01-10-2011, 09:23 AM

Default projected hiking trip help!

I got a couple non-fishing buddies who want to go hiking this April. We looked at the Cosby area. But the plans are still tentative. Do you guys have any advice for me? Here's the details....

Five day trip.
hike then sleep at night in the backcountry.
Do maybe 5-7 miles a day (I guess that's a good mileage for a day?)
And the point of my post....I want to be near fishable water for a lot of the trip.

It's a tall order I know, but if anyplace on the WWW could help, it's here!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:33 PM

jross,

If being around fishable water is a priority, I would go for the Cataloochee area over the Cosby area. Just more streams in the Cataloochee area, with the opportunity to catch all three species on a wide variety of streams. Cosby Creek is the only major option in the Cosby area and Indian Camp Creek. If you considered the NC side, I would look at the Deep Creek drainage.

Neal
Old 01-10-2011, 07:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

My advice would be to purchase what they call the brown book it's called Hiking Trails of the Smokies. It gives mileage and elevation gain and loss which will help you better plan your days. if your not an avid hiker don't plan on making any good time on trails with steep elevation especially if your pack weight isn't around the 30-40lb range.

The book will also tell you about key points along the way and info on the backcountry campsites. be sure to fill out a permit make a reservation if needed and tell someone when you expect to return home. other than that have a great time. Planning a trip is half the fun.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 PM

jross--Both of the previous replies offer some useful advice. I would note that the book spotlight mentions has some errors, although a lot of them were corrected when it was revised. Still, it is inexpensive and quite useful. A much better trail book, although it is pretty well impossible to find, is Ken wise's Hiking Trails of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (for those of you who don't own the book, you might be encouraged by the fact Ken has about finished his extensive revision).
I think, given your parameters, you can do much better than Cosby. Pineman's suggestion of Deep Creek is an excellent one. You could start at the top, proceed to Poke Patch the first day (4 miles via the Deep Creek Trail, 6-7 miles via the Fork Ridge Trail), and then change campsites every day or two. There are lots of choices, and if you wished you could make a side trip to spend a night at the new campsite well up Indian Creek. Cataloochee has a whole network of both trails and streams.
You might also want to acquire a copy of my book, Fly Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It gives detailed information, including distances, on every watershed on both the N. C. and Tenn. sides. Sounds like a fun trip.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 01-11-2011, 08:25 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
I got a couple non-fishing buddies who want to go hiking this April. We looked at the Cosby area. But the plans are still tentative. Do you guys have any advice for me? Here's the details....

Five day trip.
hike then sleep at night in the backcountry.
Do maybe 5-7 miles a day (I guess that's a good mileage for a day?)
And the point of my post....I want to be near fishable water for a lot of the trip.

It's a tall order I know, but if anyplace on the WWW could help, it's here!
Well if your non-fishing buddies are avid hikers and if your wanting to stick to Cosby. Night #1 34, over to Big Trees and Brookie fishing on Indian Camp & Otter. Night #2 at 29. Night 3 either Cosby Knob shelter, or down Camel Gap to 36. Then 37 or Cosby Knob on the hike out for night #4. That will give you 2 days to fish the headwaters of Big Creek, and show you 2 great places in the park.

Or if your really hardcore head to Tri-corner(night 1), drop down L Fork(beach under cliffs night #2) to 3 Forks (night 3), then up R fork to Tricorner (night 4)

On the other hand if your friend aren't experienced backcountry campers, or if you can take 2 cars to avoid a loop, I can think of many better places I would spend 5 days & 4 nights such as the before mentioned places.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:59 PM

Jim, I got your book and i've been consulting it quite frequently. and thanks for the advice everybody. I'm trying to get them to look at the Deep Creek area. I think according to the map, it looks the best for me. The hike planner thinks we could get up to 10 miles a day.

Last time I carried too much stuff. This year I think I'll carry a lot less.

But for the life of me I can't figure out why my buddies would go all the way to the Smokies to walk in the woods and ignore all the water!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
But for the life of me I can't figure out why my buddies would go all the way to the Smokies to walk in the woods and ignore all the water!
You should really try to help them out with their problem. If you go through with your proposed 5 day trip there should be plenty opportunity to show them the light.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 01-13-2011, 06:22 PM

I have had people ask me repeatedly if I have walked a certain trail and my patented response is if there isn't a creek at the end of it I haven't made the hike.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
. I would note that the book spotlight mentions has some errors, although a lot of them were corrected when it was revised. Still, it is inexpensive and quite useful. A much better trail book, although it is pretty well impossible to find, is Ken wise's Hiking Trails of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (for those of you who don't own the book, you might be encouraged by the fact Ken has about finished his extensive revision).

i was wonderin about wise's revision book............

quite honestly though, i've found more errors in his book, than the little brown book (i've been using editions from the 90's on though.......buying each new revised edition when it comes out).....

the brown book is the best 20 buck investment a smoky mountain hiker can make.......