Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Default Tying flies again Thanks JoeFred

I would like to thank fellow board member JoeFred for his, and my brother in laws giving spirit during the Christmas season. It took me a couple of months to redeem my Christmas present, but I now have a new vise to continue my habit of wasting thread.
JF I will be sending you an email soon about getting together for a maybe a Spring fishing trip.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:12 PM

Brook Fan, your set up looks great and the thought of us fishing in the spring again is especially so.

JF

PS. I like the photos in the photo.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:04 PM

Nice set up. I'm green with envy!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 AM

flybum62
Thanks
It's amazing what a power sander and some stain can to do to a desk. My goal this year is to find an old wood chair in a yard sale to repair to complete the set.

JF
You will be happy to know that Jonah likes to watch the Saturday morning fishing shows with his dad. I feel the force is strong in this one. However, I'm not going deep sea fishing with anyone named Jonah.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 PM

Is that an Anvil vise? They are made in a town nearby and I am thinking about buying one. How do you like it?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Yes, It's an Anvil vise (Apex model) and I really like it so far. I've had it about a week and I've tied several flies on it and have no complaints with the grasping or rotation functions. I would recommend.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 PM

Default About that Anvil....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahighlan View Post
Is that an Anvil vise? They are made in a town nearby and I am thinking about buying one. How do you like it?
I have a new Anvil as well and really like it...but if you have a chance to lay your hands on it before you buy it, I recommend that you check the thumbscrew that adjusts the tension on the rotation... it seems that mine had been overtightened and has a "bump" in the rotation out of the box, which tends to loosen up the rotation on its own after a few revolutions.
I'm hoping some use will smooth it out some...If not I plan on contacting anvil.
Otherwise....I really have no complaints.! Love it Hold hooks like a champ, and I ALWAYS put way too much tension on the shank with thread....hasnt pulled one yet.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:47 PM

Anvil is made in Columbus, IN. My in-laws live there. The vise comes with a C-clamp & a base.

Ahighlan my email is : smallstreamfisher@hotmail.com contact me!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook Fan View Post
Yes, It's an Anvil vise (Apex model) and I really like it so far. I've had it about a week and I've tied several flies on it and have no complaints with the grasping or rotation functions. I would recommend.
Ed of Bass Pro Shops Sevierville store fly shop considers this vice one of the best for its price range.

JF
Old 02-14-2011, 03:00 PM

Well I have caught spring fever thanks to my new vice. For the first time I went fishing with a fly that I tied. Never had before, because I was afraid they would come apart in the water. I fished the same streamer for about a hour and a half and it still looks good enough to place back in my box. While I landed no fish the water was clear enough that I could watch the movement and sparkle of my streamer. The pattern looks good and the fish will eventually come.