Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 06-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Default Question about drift boats?

I have been doing some wishful thinking about a drift boat or similar craft. I have never owned a drift boat but when I started fly fishing I have been "exposed" to them and I am very jealous when one floats by. I guess I have the fever. I have been researching online and 2 very different crafts have caught my eye. I like the look of the North Fork Outdoor's Outlaw avenger XX (Dave Scadden design). It appears to be a pontoon on steroids! I know it not technically a drift boat but it could get the job done. Not to mention it is $2,500 (trailer not included). The other choice is a Pavati Warrior. Have you seen this thing? My Lord is it nice and very pricey! I think it would be 14.5-17K not counting freight from Oregon.

I could use some advice or insight about the boats above and anything in between. I plan on doing a lot more research but your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,

DBK
Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 AM

you could always buy my hyde!!!!!! I'm wantting a raft
Old 06-18-2010, 10:58 AM

Lightbulb Idea...

Drift boats are wonderful fishing craft. I do hope to have my own brand on the market for the Eastern Folks one day

Have you looked in to buying an aluminum boat + trolling motor? You can get a great set up for under $500 with a trailer. Look at a semi-v to flat hull.

Craigslist is loaded with them; just check late at night or early in the AM if you want first shot on one. Forget the need for a motor if you just plan on drifting. I always hate having a gas tank in the boat and the noise is not good for the trout. Mount a good deep cycle up in the front or under the front seat and run some jumper cable (cut off the clamps) wires to the trolling motor. Throw a 60amp fuse in line for protection.

Another good idea is to flip the boat upside down on some saw horses and spray in some flotation foam under the seats.

That should get you by until I can start making my drift boats.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 PM

you guys might find this interesting. You need to get on some of the message boards from Oregon and Alaska. They make us look like rank amateurs when it comes to bickering. All you have to do is claim your drift boat brand is the best and then watch out. I think the Willie Boat Gang will send a hitman after you!! Be prepared to have your parentage questioned. I never posted anything (just lurked). I am not qualified to combat post.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
you could always buy my hyde!!!!!! I'm wantting a raft
Thanks Rod but I have seen a few of your posts and you use yours for a living. I think yours has seen a lot of "LOVIN" on the Clinch. If its still in very good shape then I do have interest. Set me straight if I am wrong.

Thanks,

DBK
Old 06-18-2010, 10:46 PM

Brand choice is up to the individual IMO. I row a hyde, and have always rowed Hydes. I like the way they are laid out inside and I like the way they row better then the others out there. Mike Bone who is a member here has had more experience then anyone else in this region with different styles of boats, from rafts to drift boats of all mfg's. He now rows a Clacka and seems to think it is the toughest of the group.

On inflatables, they are great for very shallow and nasty rivers with lots of rocks which would chew drift boats to pieces. For our 2 local tailwaters they work fine, but become a nightmare in the wind. One other thing is they stick to every rock they touch, where as a drift boat will slide over most if not all rocks.

I fish out of 2 different cats (pontoons) one is 12' and the other 16', both are great boats, but are sluggish to row in slow water and are seriously influenced by the wind. However, for the smaller rivers I do, they work perfectly and are invaluable.

I am heading to bed, but will take the time in the next couple of days to a much better breakdown of pros/cons of the floating crafts which I have spent considerable time in over the years. Which is a lot, and a bunch of different mfg's. Hopefully Mike will chime in and provide his opinions as well.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:07 AM

Lightbulb Neat Flying Boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I fish out of 2 different cats (pontoons) one is 12' and the other 16', both are great boats, but are sluggish to row in slow water and are seriously influenced by the wind. However, for the smaller rivers I do, they work perfectly and are invaluable. .
I think these are probably my favorites for tail-waters. I like the layout and they float very shallow. Have you ever had any issues with tears or punctures?

Something neat I found on the 'Net:
I wish I had one of these so I would not have to go upstream from the church. Looks like a cool idea. You could fly upstream and just drift back down with out having to worry about another vehicle. Only drawback is limited cargo and passenger weight. Anyone ever seen one of these on a lake or river? Not bad to have a boat and a plane for $15-25k and trailer.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 06-19-2010, 01:14 PM

Hey Shawn -

One other drawback - how you gonna cast out of that thing??

sb
Old 06-19-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
Hey Shawn -

One other drawback - how you gonna cast out of that thing??

sb
If you all want to put together some $$$ and buy one, I'll be glad to do the experiment for the next year. At the end of the year I'll provide a detailed explanation on the best way to fish out of it including casting techniques. Think of the great opportunities this thing would open up...you just need someone to try it out first...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 06-19-2010, 03:47 PM

Don't know where you live. If you put any kind of motor on a boat in Tennessee, you will have to register it with the state. Just thought I would mention it.
FWIW, I know of some who like Clackacraft boats. Boulder Boats has molded hull.