Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 AM

Post Clinch River Report: 01/19/2011

Clinch River Report: 01/19/2011
  • Air Temp: 38 Degrees
  • Water Temp: 47 Degrees (Consistently Stable)
  • Barometer: 1012.25 Millibars (Rising)
  • *Full Moon @ 4PM

Fished the Clinch for about two-hours yesterday evening. It was a little cold and windy at times. Glad I had my neoprene gloves.

Fished a streamer above the weir dam for a bit. The water was stagnant and the mountain had shaded most of the light. I saw some fish rising; but, I could not present my streamer without spooking the fish consistently. Plus, my fingers were not up to stripping line in the cold-guess I am a wuss

Changed locations to one of the tourist spots and found some sheltered areas that allowed me to throw some dry flies. Fish were rising very will and they were on to my black trico spinner.

Photo borrowed from the internet that closely matches my fly.

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 01-20-2011 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: Wrong date in original post:0
Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 PM

Shawn,

I felt a shiver up my spine when I read your post. Looking out the window at yet another snow storm, 24 degrees, might have helped a bit, LOL. The Clinch is on my short list of places to visit in the future. I 've gone by there many times on my way to the Smokies. One day I plan to stop and sample it! Any suggestions?

Whitefeather

Old 01-20-2011, 01:34 PM

I too went fishing yesterday but on a private spring creek in Northern Ohio. It was 24 degrees. I used some size 18 midges. The fishing was great but I had to keep cleaning the ice off the guides or I could not cast. I have only fished the Clinch a couple of times. Each time was where you were. Thirty eight degrees sounds real pleasant right now! If you don't mind me asking were you fishing from a boat?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 PM

I was wading the whole time. The water was actually warmer than the air temperature. I fished in the low 20s on a 7 mile drift about 2 weeks ago. It is not too bad if you are prepared, but, some say I am obsessive.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 PM

Shawn,

Your winter fishing escapades continue to impress even a yankee like me! I fished the Clinch in one of the "tourist areas" on Monday and was surprised at the level of surface feeding going on. I managed to coax a few fish with the classic zebra midge fished below a dry fly over a few hours. Nothing dry I used seemed to work.

Do you think your Trico immitates an emerging midge or black fly? It looks like a cool fly and it may have done the trick for me.

Dave
Old 01-21-2011, 06:19 PM

I have seen fish here latly that are full of black fly larva. And even adult black fly. That little spinner in a size 20-22 should be killer come march if not now.

You boys that are fishing this weekend catch one for me would ya ? I'm laid up with the flu and fishing is out for me this weekend!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciVol View Post
Shawn,

Your winter fishing escapades continue to impress even a yankee like me! I fished the Clinch in one of the "tourist areas" on Monday and was surprised at the level of surface feeding going on. I managed to coax a few fish with the classic zebra midge fished below a dry fly over a few hours. Nothing dry I used seemed to work.

Do you think your Trico immitates an emerging midge or black fly? It looks like a cool fly and it may have done the trick for me.

Dave
Dave, I used to wakeboard year around on Norris Lake. My brother and I would put about 1,000-1,500 hours a year on our boats. He wakeboards without a wetsuit in the annual charity fundraiser in Knoxville in January. I am not that tough. My nephew rides without a wetsuit too. He started riding in the January weather without a wetsuit we he was seven.

Unfortunately, I had to give up wakeboarding after destroying my back and suffering a massive blood clot on my spinal cord.

Actually, I do not think the Trico was really imitating any hatch. I was throwing to a good rise and they were actively feeding and its size and shape were similar to the small midges I saw coming off.

The actual midge hatch was creme/brown ribbed in is size 20. Take the Trico pattern above and use creme/brown ribbing and you will be on them. Or just use a griffith's gnat. Keep the fly dry and on top of the water too!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:00 AM

Tougher men then me fishing right now. Hope y'all are having fun, and save a few for those pansies like me who only fish in short sleeves.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:30 AM

Wolfy ol boy did ya come out from under your rock to see if you could see your shadow or what? Havnt heard from ya all winter
Old 01-23-2011, 08:14 AM

I snuck out of the lair for a few minutes to see if the sun was still around.