Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Default Clinch 1/22

It has been an unusually cold and wet winter in east TN. I hate global warming!

Made it to the Clinch yesterday, and found a few that were willing to bite. All were caught on a #22 zebra midge, but it was very slow going. Only saw one rise while there, and managed to get him to take an olive zebra that drifted past his rock. Nothing of any size, all were from 7 to 11". I have a couple areas down low that I can fish when one generator is running, and only fished for a couple hours before the wind started picking up. That forced me off the water pretty quickly. Unfortunately the water was just dropping to typical 0 generator level when I had to leave, so activity may have picked up then. All in all, it was a rewarding day since I had to work hard for every fish. Considering the high sun, temp, absolute lack of risers, and high water, I consider it a successful day on the water.

Sure was nice to get out on the water, and was a much needed break from the stress of my recent trips to Joisey!

FYI..... Water temp was 42 deg, and air was 35 deg

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 01-23-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
It has been an unusually cold and wet winter in east TN. I hate global warming!

Made it to the Clinch yesterday, and found a few that were willing to bite. All were caught on a #22 zebra midge, but it was very slow going. Only saw one rise while there, and managed to get him to take an olive zebra that drifted past his rock. Nothing of any size, all were from 7 to 11". I have a couple areas down low that I can fish when one generator is running, and only fished for a couple hours before the wind started picking up. That forced me off the water pretty quickly. Unfortunately the water was just dropping to typical 0 generator level when I had to leave, so activity may have picked up then. All in all, it was a rewarding day since I had to work hard for every fish. Considering the high sun, temp, absolute lack of risers, and high water, I consider it a successful day on the water.

Sure was nice to get out on the water, and was a much needed break from the stress of my recent trips to Joisey!

FYI..... Water temp was 42 deg, and air was 35 deg
That wind bummed me out too... I really screwed up my strategy and hopes for the day.

I got 47 degrees above Coal Creek and 45 at Peach Orchard for water temperatures. The big boys were definitely on the bottom. Spoke with a bait fisherman and he was slaying them off the bottom. He pulled in two larger browns ~18-19 (looked like slot fish) while I was there. He was using minnows on the bottom.

I had one decent fish in the upper teens break me off while I was fumbling for my net in the boat. In hindsight; I think I tied a crappy knot in haste and from being cold.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 01-23-2011 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Dang ADHD...
Old 01-24-2011, 02:32 PM

Shawn, sounds like you have some polar bear in your family tree!

Glad to read that you are getting out some. I am getting ready to move to Powell in a month or so which puts me in after-work striking distance from the Clinch. I'd love to fish with you some time after my move is all settled.

Take care, Dave
Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciVol View Post
Shawn, sounds like you have some polar bear in your family tree!

Glad to read that you are getting out some. I am getting ready to move to Powell in a month or so which puts me in after-work striking distance from the Clinch. I'd love to fish with you some time after my move is all settled.

Take care, Dave
Dave, you are welcome to fish with me any time bud. I try to promote a happy atmosphere with no pressure to follow any fly fishing standards. All that I ask if that you have a good time, pay it forward one day, and never exhibit a poser/narcissistic fly fishing attitude! I can handle anything; except for a cocky, poser (10-stickers in on the ride; Rod/Reel Branding on the water marketing, and an obnoxious attitude). There is nothing wrong with that attitude as a person; I just do not want to be around those kind of people when I fish. Money is no object. I will take a young, eager beaver with a Bass Pro Shop-Combo any day for a fabulous trip on the river. Most often; their ears are pinned back and they will appreciate and utilize any help you give them.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
except for a cocky, poser (10-stickers in on the ride; Rod/Reel Branding on the water marketing, and an obnoxious attitude). .
This reminds me of the frat boys I had the pleasure of following down the river one day last summer. Truck had so many **** stickers on it, I bet you couldn't see out the windows. It was like a floating infomercial, and they were real jewels of etiquette as well. Sadly all those stickers, poor attitude, and new gear didn't allow them to catch but a couple of fish. All the while us guys with faded gear and no stickers pounded the crap out of fish from start to finish.

I feel your pain on the Stock car sticker freaks.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
This reminds me of the frat boys I had the pleasure of following down the river one day last summer. Truck had so many **** stickers on it, I bet you couldn't see out the windows. It was like a floating infomercial, and they were real jewels of etiquette as well. Sadly all those stickers, poor attitude, and new gear didn't allow them to catch but a couple of fish. All the while us guys with faded gear and no stickers pounded the crap out of fish from start to finish.

Well, I guess I was venting a bit from some of my previous experiences. I think you should do whatever makes you happy as long as it does impinge on others! When I was younger; I was probably one of those guys and trying to find myself and my own style. I guess experiences and life's lessons helped me to be the person I want to be and not be defined by society's influential traits.

I rarely fish with someone because it is hard to find someone that is genuinely a good person. Lately, I have found a one or two new fishing buddies that I relish their company on the water. I cannot imagine being a guide with a boat full of jerks. I guess I would probably drop them off on the bank and give them their money back. Well, in a safe spot...

Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 AM

Shawn, I appreciate the invite. I agree with you that finding a good fishing buddy is one of life's great challenges. I have exactly 3 (including my brother) and I have known all of them for over 30 years. Unfortunately they are all still in Cincinnati despite my best efforts to drag them South!

As for gear snobbery, until a month ago my go-to rod was a Pfluegger Medalist that I bought at Dicks for $40 (incl. reel and line...). I have to say it worked pretty darned well and I would gladly trade the fancy new rod I recently bought for more fishing time on my calendar even if it was with my old rod. Unfortunately, the new rod did not come with a time-maker...

Dave
Old 01-25-2011, 12:56 PM

That time maker would be a great feature!

I have found that I have stopped fishing with a couple of friends (we still are) because of philosophical differences. Mostly I can stop fishing and just enjoy the place (warm and cold water) and they are about the counts. To each their own but we don't go out together anymore...
Old 01-25-2011, 06:40 PM

cincivol and streambound.... i agree a good fishing buddy is a rare find ....for me it was my dad for 40 years till i moved from pa ......
i was lucky enough to meet 2 guys on the caney a liitle over 2 years ago.....they have become not only my best fishing buds but very good personal friends.......we joke and razz each other about cast and fish caught everytime we fish together...... every day spent on the river with them is a pleaseant memory if we catch fish or not... i myself recently moved from crossville to fountain city and the distance from them will make trips to the caney a bit tougher to make and not near as often as in the past ...hopefully i will be lucky again and find a fishing buddy over here for the clinch and other rivers on this side of tn ...
dan
Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post

Now Jordan how would your sorority sisters feel about you dogin frat boys on a public website?