Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 02-18-2011, 09:34 AM

Default fishing license optimism

I think the new fishing licenses go on sale today. It seems funny to buy a license in order to go wade and fall on slick rocks and get skunked . I measure
my fishing success in number of bites instead of number of fish. There is nothing like seeing the fish flash ,and feeling that tug of a bite. So it is with high hopes and optimism I renew my fishing license and my tetanus shot.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM

I'm right there with you, rivergal. If you divide the cost of the licensing by the number of fish I caught last year, I think I ran somewhere between $1 - $2 per fish. Hopefully I can get that average down a good bit this year.

If I may add a piggyback question - Does the outlet that sells the new license get a cut of the proceeds like they do with lottery tickets? If so, that may alter my plans for where & when I renew.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:43 PM

I have finally seen TWRA patrolling the Tourist Stretch of the Clinch the past few weeks. I believe a few fish mongers were lit up with some tickets last Friday. I went many years before I saw the first TWRA Agent on the river. They have been doing a great job in the past couple of weeks on the Clinch.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-19-2011, 09:26 PM

Shawn, I was checked for the first time in fall on the Clinch or any tailwater in TN. I was just Leaving Miller's, parked in the grass field, pulled up just as I was leaving, looked in the bed of my truck, said they were looking at fish people were keeping. I was glad to be checked.

Neal
Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post

If I may add a piggyback question - Does the outlet that sells the new license get a cut of the proceeds like they do with lottery tickets? If so, that may alter my plans for where & when I renew.
About one dollar & you have to be bonded to sell the license which is a pretty good chunk of change.

Grumpy
Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM

Question Revenue Question

I always dread having to purchase a new license. However; the fishing license revenue + federal funding are the greatest contributors to maintaining healthy fishing streams and tail-waters. The Smokies get a few more dollars by uncle sam; but, they are well spent and their wildlife officers are top-notch.

*Interesting note; last year's 2010 TWRA Fishing Regulations noted that 90% of the funds come from license sales and federal excise tax.

**Does anyone know who gets the income generated by the TWRA Agents issuing fines? I know the county courts get a big chunk in the court costs. I was just wondering if they got the fine revenue too...

From the TWRA Website:
Quote:
Hunting and fishing license sales and federal excise taxes comprise almost 100 percent of the TWRA's operating funds. Thank you for buying a hunting and fishing license. Without your support, Tennessee would not have the abundance of fish and wildlife that we all enjoy.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 AM

Default never been checked

I am 60 years old, and have never been checked in the park, on the Clinch,
or Tellico area. I even bought one of those lanyards to wear around my neck
that has a clear plastic license holder !
Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergal View Post
I am 60 years old, and have never been checked in the park, on the Clinch,
or Tellico area. I even bought one of those lanyards to wear around my neck
that has a clear plastic license holder !
Rivergal; well - atleast you have help to support one of your passions

I think it should be required for everyone to wear their license in a visible location as most other states require. This would help create a policy that would help police itself.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM

I was born and raised in Ohio. You were required to wear your hunting license in a holder of some sort on your back. As stated, many states require your fishing license to be displayed the same way. Kind of difficult if you don't wear a shirt! That big safety pin could hurt! I have several old licenses that were my father's- going back to the early 50's.
A good idea but will it fly as a law?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post

**Does anyone know who gets the income generated by the TWRA Agents issuing fines? I know the county courts get a big chunk in the court costs. I was just wondering if they got the fine revenue too...
Shawn

Talking to the local agents a few years back, they said if they issued a $180 fine, TWRA would get $12 out of it if the judge found them guilty.
Seems as if most judges are pretty lenient towards TROUT regulations, heck, if you go into any court room anymore, they're to lenient. That can lead to a whole other discussion though.

Grumpy