Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-20-2011, 09:41 PM

Default Has anyone fished Deep Creek or Oconaluftee lately?

I was thinking about heading to GSMNP next week and fishing one of them. I was just wondering if anyone has fished either lately and how was the fishing? I know it's slow this time of year.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:41 PM

ifish4wildtrout,

I have not fished the Luftee since late October when the browns and brookies were spawning. Several very large fish were taken near Smokemont campground, Bradley Fork. The stretch between the bridge turn off to Jorb Corp Center and the Oconoluftee Visitor center is an excellent stretch of river for big browns. I use a weighted golden stone nypmh for these cold water beasts. Your mileage may vary! Good Luck!

Park in the Job Corp lot to the right after you cross the bridge. Go down to where the parking lines stop on the river bank side. There's a path way to a deep pool with undercut rock (deep green water) almost straight ahead. You'll see the path to the river. It's not far. I caught a 4 pound brookie out from under that cut rock. He's still there as far I know. This spot gets some pressure from a couple park employees, but they are C&R types. Paul and Frank. Give my regards to them and the river. I wish I was going with you. Further down is a deep chute and some undercut bank on the steep bank side at the north end of the visitor center parking lot, up against that side of the river. I always get some big browns there.

Further down, the Raven's fork confluence if you can wade it. Watch out for Cherokee enterprise waters. I'm not sure where they start; the south end of the confluence I believe.

I have been monitoring water levels on the Luftee since November and as of today water flow is at about 356 cubic feet per second, down from over 4000 cfs on January 1. A lot of snow melt I presume coming down the mountain with several high water events in between. Here's a link.

If you get some big fish, take some pictures and post them. Okay! Above all stay warm and safe and catch some fish!

For Realtime Data at this station go to:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=03512000

Whitefeather
Old 01-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the info. I have never fished that far downstream, I may have to give it a shot. I have always started at or slightly below Kephart and fished up.

I hooked a beastly brown there in October. After about a 5 minute fight, he broke the hook off my nymph.