Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 PM

Default Clinch 2/11/2011

Desperately needing some time on the water, I headed out to the Clinch this afternoon. I wanted to fish lower on the river, but the generation schedule was not very favorable for the early afternoon. So, I elected to start the afternoon up near the dam, and then migrate downstream around 4:00. There were a few midging fish below the dam, but none of the usual suspects were working. After a little while I made my way downstream to my regular fishing spot. Unfortunately the water was still higher than I am comfortable fishing so I just fished near the shore to prevent getting too far out into the swift current. There was quite a dramatic difference in the midge activity between the dam and lower river. Down low I didn't see a single bug floating above the surface, and therefore I saw no rising trout. Needless to say I picked up the skunk today, but hopefully I got it out of the way so I don't have to think about it again this year. Guess I will have to bite the bullet and go out on a Saturday with everybody else when TVA has a more favorable schedule.

One good thing about today is that I got to take the D90 out on the water. It is quite a significant step up from the D40, and am thrilled with the results. Can't wait to try and get some good fish shots this year with the new camera and good prime glass.

Here are two scenery shots from today. It sure was a beautiful day to be on the water. Hope that if anybody else got out they had better luck catching than I did.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 AM

Default Nice pictures

Travis,

It's good to get that skunk over with this early in the year.

I'm glad to see some actual fishing reports showing up.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 AM

Travis, thanks for "breaking the ice" , so to speak, on fishing the Clinch this year.

Does anyone know the trout stocking sites for the Norrs tailwater? Unlike for other streams the TWRA map strangely omits this info for it...

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/trou..._r4_trout.html

Do others have trouble with this page and links like I do sometime?

JF
Old 02-12-2011, 10:47 AM

Try this link for a map of stocking locations.
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/gis/Region4_Trout.html
Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Thanks, silvercreek. That page address works as does the link for the PDF for the "Norris Tailwater - Clinch River (30)" map, but there are no "black square" stocking points shown, at least when I view it.

JF
Old 02-12-2011, 11:41 AM

Sorry, I don't see any either. Hmmm. Page two with the access points is also missing.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:50 PM

With the cutbacks, they maybe had to outsource the web site to somebody's brother-in-law...hey I am all for cutbacks, so long as it doesn't affect the stocking.

JF
Old 02-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Thanks for sharing; nice pictures. Bet there is a huge turn out this weekend.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:47 PM

Travis,

I'm pretty sure that I fish just downstream from where you fish a lot --- at least that's what Rodney J told me. Hope you caught all the skunks outta that section as I'm planning my first trip of the year in that area next week.

BTW, great pics and exceptional camera!

Phil
Old 02-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnapp View Post
Travis,

I'm pretty sure that I fish just downstream from where you fish a lot --- at least that's what Rodney J told me. Hope you caught all the skunks outta that section as I'm planning my first trip of the year in that area next week.

BTW, great pics and exceptional camera!

Phil
Phil,

Thanks, and I hope I got them all out of there for the rest of the year. If that is what Rodney said, then it must be true. I see him down there all the time.

I probably shouldn't have even been fishing down there yesterday, as the water was easily a foot higher than it usually is at low flow. It made for some really tricky wading in some areas, and it would have been treacherous for me to get to my usual runs on the other side of the river.

It wasn't completely dead, as I had two strikes in the two hours that I fished. Unfortunately, I goofed up the hookset on both of them. I was fishing across and down, but the current was so swift and I had so much line on the water that I couldn't connect.

Give me a shout sometime if you want to meet up and wet a line. I prefer to fish on Fridays since I don't really like crowds. However, I will occasionally get out on a Saturday or Sunday if the fishing is good or if I have a score to settle against some fish..... If you ever see a guy down that way with two chest packs on (a Fishpond and an orange waterproof one for the DSLR that is hard to miss) come on over and chat.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler