Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 AM

Default Fishery biologists

Did I not read somewhere that the fishery biologists for the park were going to hold a public meeting in Townsend sometime in the near future? If so, when and where?

My posts are worthless without pictures
Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 AM

Buzz,

Byron mentioned it in his 02/11/11 Fishing Report as follows
"If you are interested in the state of fisheries in Great Smoky Mountains National Park then Thursday February 17 at 7pm is a day and time that should be on your calendar.
Matt Kulp and Steve Moore - Great Smoky Mountains National Park Fishery Biologists, will present An Update of Fisheries Activities in GSMNP. It will be Thursday February 17, 2011 at 7pm at the Wears Valley Fire Department. The presentation will cover general trout biology, brook trout restoration status and future plans, acid rain update and a general comments and question session. FREE handouts, reports, and information will be available for the public regarding fish, water quality, brook trout restoration, and other Park issues."
I plan to be there.

JF
Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 AM

Default Jf

That's it. Thanks. I think I have plans for Thursday night. If not, I'm going to be there.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:11 PM

I checked with the better half at lunch. I have a yard pass for Thursday, so I'm going to skip out on work a little early Thursday and fish for a couple hours (around Elkmont), before heading that way. If anyone wants to join me, shoot me an email.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:47 PM

Buzz,

I'm thinking about heading that way. Not fishing but I would like to talk to you face to face about your past experiences and such, regarding your last few trips.

Last edited by tennswede; 02-15-2011 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: Clarification of subject matter.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:22 PM

Buzz or one of you fellows who plan to attend--I woulod urge you to ask Steve and Matt about the potential impact of rapidly expanding otter populations on trout in the Park in general and the speckled trout restoration specifically. I can guarantee you they have thought about it and feel certain they are concerned. Whether they will feel free to talk is another story. It's a touchy issue and there may be constraints from higher up. Anyone who thinks such constraints don't exist, incidentally, is living in la-la land. I know of a couple instances where careers in the gSMNP were hurt be a Park employee being too honest, too forthright, or too willing to follow the laws as written.

Hopefully some you who do attend will give use a report.

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:35 PM

Jim,

You know my view on otters so I can't help you there, can't speak for Buzz. Anyhow, otters should help with the thinning of the herd so to speak. Steve and Matt has advocated for fishermen to take home some of their catch, since most fishermen inside the park don't the otters will do it for us instead. A win win situation. We have had otters in my native Sweden since beginning of time. They suffered from PCB pollution and such in the industrial era but are now coming back. I haven't heard anything about otters decimating the trout population. This was a common myth in the late 1800's and spread from there. I suppose a lot of the European settlers took the misconception with them to the new world. Until the day when the Swedish and the rest of the Scandinavian rivers are empty I will not worry about it. There are plenty of fish for them. Yellow perch, abundance of crayfish, other miscellaneous carp fishes of all sizes. I'm frankly not worried about it. I think the acid rain problem is what you should spend your time worrying about if anything.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:20 AM

Hans,

It's more of an adventure about risking your life and limbs than an actual fishing trip, but I'll tell you all about it. It was all about getting there and back. I also wanted to talk to you about some of your trips this spring, 2 of them were on my "must do" list.

Jim,

I'm planning on asking about the otters. However, my current opinion about them mirrors Hans. Most of the streams I fish, could use a little thinning. If the fishery biologists, or any other expert, presents some information that gives me cause for concern, my opinion may change. However for the time being, I'll enjoy my otter sightings.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Thanks Buzz I would say that no matter what your opinion is of how the otters are impacting the smokies it would be worth asking the question at least if you are there since it is of concern to many on the board. Maybe Steve and Matt will say there is not a problem at all and know that cause of data they have gathered, or maybe they say it is a concern because of the data, or maybe they just don't know. In any case asking the question would be appreciated but those of us who can't attend and possibly put some other minds at ease on here like your alls.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 02-16-2011, 02:14 PM

Hans--We will have to disagree on this. Crayfish aren't available several months of the year (too deep in the ground). Otters are wreaking havoc in N. C. streams, and even NCWRC biologists acknowledge as much. The one factor you seem to be overlooking is that in your native country, as in the Smokies in yesteryear, trappers and other approaches (I have a journal of one guy who actively hunted them) kept populations in control. That control does not exist in the Park and I am by no means the only one concerned about this. Even if I'm flat-out wrong (and I'll need considerable scientific evidence, as opposed to opinion to convince me), it is a question well worth asking.
I've actually talked to Matt about this a bit, and at that point (18 months or so ago) he didn't have much hard research evidence to indicate otters wouldn't be a problem. On the other hand, I know of a goodly number of fishermen who have grown increasingly concerned, and a couple of streams in Graham County, notably upper Big Santeetlah, have deteriorated so dramatically that they are scarecely worth fishing--and this has happened in just the last four or five years. I don't think acid rain, although unquestionably a significant problem, has had that dramatic an impact in that short a period.