Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 PM

Default First try making articulated streamers.

I tried making up some articulated streamers for some largemouth, spotted, and some white bass (spawn in a river 5 minutes from my house. ) The fish in this river seam to really like white patters, (especially the white bass) with olive coming in at a close second. All this fly is, is 2 hooks, some white marabou wrapped around both hook shanks, some white thread, a few dumbell eyes, and some 20 lb. line to connect the two. They are MUCH easier to make than I thought they would be. I will definately try them in the trout stream too. Tell me what ya think....
Old 02-17-2011, 10:18 PM

nice work......Ive been trying the articulated streamers--stoneflies & hegi patterns this year.Fish seem to like the action.Olive is a real good color for the brownies.Be safe
Old 02-18-2011, 01:01 AM

What hooks are you using front and back? Are you having any trouble with the back piece fouling with the front piece?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:31 AM

Flyman, The hooks are #8. I think they are a little on the small side for this fly. I haven't had any problems with the back part fouling the front.

Olesmoke, I will try some olive. I like the action too. I fished a pattern similar to the one I have shown here on the lower tuck for smallmouth. They really seemed to like it. I think the 2 bigest problems I have are the hooks and eyes being too small.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:52 AM

Rainbow Warrior-

I'd like to see how you connected the front and back portions of the fly. Maybe take some additional shots with the front portion pulled back to show the construction of the rear portion. The recipe would be nice also. Thanks

Bill
Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 PM

rainbow warrior try the mustad 3366 hooks for the front either size 4 or 6 and I use any 2x long shank for the back because I cut it off at the bend.I dont want any tongue or deep hooks in the fish.You will miss some short strikes but the fish seem to like the quick release to fight another day.Be safe
Old 02-18-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
Rainbow Warrior-

I'd like to see how you connected the front and back portions of the fly. Maybe take some additional shots with the front portion pulled back to show the construction of the rear portion. The recipe would be nice also. Thanks

Bill
This is the best I could get. What you do it cut a piece of 20-25 lb. mono and tie one end in. I tied about 3/4" of it on the hookshank tightly and it held real well. Once you have it tied all the way to the bend of the hook, take the back part of the fly and put the mono through the hook eye. (the back part has to be tied first) Once you have done this, tie the line back on the hook shank. You leave a little loop, so the fly has more action to it. I hope the picture helps.
Recipe:
Thread: white 6/0
Hooks: should be a #4 or 6
body: white marabou wrapped like hackle
Connecting Material: 25 lb. line
Eyes: Dumbell eyes appropriate size for the hook.

The pattern is pretty basic and easy to tie. It just takes quite a bit of marabou.
Olesmoke, i looked at those hooks. I like them. I will have to order some and give it a shot.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:16 PM

send me an address andI will send you a few of each size to try before buying them.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:05 AM

Rainbow Warrior-

Thanks for the additional photo. Yes, I agree its hard to take a photo of that area, the marabou seems to want to go everywhere it can, even if its in the way. Also, thanks for the recipe. Its a great looking fly.

Bill
Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 PM

I love this topic. I have been working on articulated streamers for the past few months. My biggest issue is the fouling of the hook due to the fly's body snagging on casts. Here is the latest streamer I have designed that has given me pleasant results with the Brook Trout on the Clinch. Note: it is a hook to hook set up.

to choose, to respond, to change.”