Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-18-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
Maybe I didn't read it right... They are going to kill all the fish in lynn camp again?? wow... Out of curiosity, what strain of brook trout did they put in? Whos job was it to obtain these brook trout? Does this man or woman still have a job? If so why? They cry about the posibility of someone adding rainbows to the creek, and they didn't even stock it with the right type fish themselves? What can we say, its a government job... Maybe we'll get to fish that area again in 30 or so years.. What a waste of time, money, and not to mention the thousands of aquatic organisms they are killing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus
- They will be removing the brook trout from Lynn Camp Prong and re-poisoning it again this year in an effort to re-re-introduce the southern strain of brook trout.
My understanding from what Buzz posted is that they will remove the brook trout that have already be restocked, then repoison the stream, then put the originally stocked brookies, plus some fresh stock, back in. I may be totally wrong, but that's the way I read it.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
..Did they give any indication as to whether there would be a presentation in N. C.?...
This side of the Park is the focal point, it would seem, of most of the skepticism about otters and, for that matter, other things. It invariably seems that the N. C. side gets fewer hearings, fewer presentations, less money, and less attention...
Jim, the March 3 Community Presentation I mentioned was an item on a general schedule handout. No others were shown for through November. I'll see if I can learn more from Matt.

I asked if due to budget cutbacks, travel, fuel prices, etc. were they being prevented from conducting any activities on the NC side that are being done on the TN side. Both Matt & Steve said there was no such restrictions. The data they presented seemed to bear that out. Matt did remark that they would like to have done trout distribution and other surveys on Raven Fork, but it's remoteness, size and the amount of staffing that would be required makes that pretty much impossible.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post
My understanding from what Buzz posted is that they will remove the brook trout that have already be restocked, then repoison the stream, then put the originally stocked brookies, plus some fresh stock, back in. I may be totally wrong, but that's the way I read it.
Stana Claus, you're spot-on with what I heard.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Fred--Thanks. There's certainly some validity to the cost "explanations" in terms of the current economy, but that's precisely the sort of excuses folks on this side of the Park have heard for decades and, frankly, are tired of hearing. One thing for sure, the money which has, it seems, in essence been wasted on the first go-round of the Lynn Camp Prong experience would have covered a bunch of presentations on the Tar Heel side, not to mention stream surveys, etc.

On another matter, unless I missed something, none of you who were fortunate enough to be able to attend has provided any information about the rationale for the current creel regulations (in terms of size of fish, numbers for a limit, or possession numbers). Were those subjects addressed at all?

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
On another matter, unless I missed something, none of you who were fortunate enough to be able to attend has provided any information about the rationale for the current creel regulations (in terms of size of fish, numbers for a limit, or possession numbers). Were those subjects addressed at all?
Yes, the question about a 5 fish creel was asked. Several explanations were given, and none of them made much sense to me, but the one I understood the best was that surrounding states wanted there to be at least something, so they said "5", and that is what it is. Not much of a scientific explanation, but I gathered it was just a number pulled out of the air. Matt and Steve did suggest that something may be going on in the near future with some of the watersheds as an "example" on fish limits.

Sometimes, I need questions like this to remind me what all was discussed last night.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 PM

Buzz,

Thanks for the report and the detail you shared! Because of your report, I am certainly hopeful that the otter will not be a future problem to trout in the future.

If specific details of how they accomplished the "study" and what facts they actually certified were forth coming it would certainly help to cancel out some of our (my) fears. (otter)

Hopefully, Hans and all the others who posted that the otters weren't a "big deal" were correct and we can all breathe a little easier.

Great job reporting on the meeting!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 PM

To add more to my last post. From what they said, it sounds like they have a a creel limit more for public perception than for any biologic reasons.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 PM

It was very heartening to see that I'm not the big "fool" on here. I'm not as old and experienced like some on here, but I'm no young boy either. I have experience from several countries around the world and I was pleased with yesterday's presentation.

I'm not going to stand on a soap box and tell you all I was right, but it gave me my honor back. They even referenced studies from Poland which would be the Eurasian Otter. I.e. my argument stand. The european otter and the american are not that different from each other. As for Jim's claim that there are no crayfish available, the presentation agreed with me. They eat crayfish all year like I said.

Sorry folks, I said I wasn't going to say more about this, but when someone beats you with a stick, you need to defend yourself.

Now, everyone, let's go fishing this beautfiul weekend and realize that we need to all be out there as a cure for the cabin fever that is now rampant.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:50 PM

"It was very heartening to see that I'm not the big "fool" on here. I'm not as old and experienced like some on here, but I'm no young boy either. I have experience from several countries around the world and I was pleased with yesterday's presentation.

I'm not going to stand on a soap box and tell you all I was right, but it gave me my honor back."

Hans,

You never seemed like a "fool" or lost any honor in my book!

In fact, you stated your opinions and beliefs as valid points of argument and that was quite honorable in my opinon, because you did so with dignity and genuine concern. You deserved your vindication by sticking to your guns!

Next time I'm down that way I'll let you know on the forum in advance and perhaps we can do some fishing together or have a cup of coffee over lunch!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather

Last edited by whitefeather; 02-18-2011 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: spllng
Old 02-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Fred--Thanks. There's certainly some validity to the cost "explanations" in terms of the current economy, but that's precisely the sort of excuses folks on this side of the Park have heard for decades ...
Jim, it was I who used the cost possibilities as a lead in to my question. They were not excuses cited by Matt or Steve. They maintain there is no issue. Sorry for the confusion. Sometimes my attempts at tactfulness in posing questions at such gatherings backfire on me.

The only "excuse," if one wishes to call it that, was in regard to Raven Fork (earlier post). I have not make the trek up that impressive drainage and based on the topo map and lack of trails, it won't be one of the streams I will be volunteering to help with.

Fred

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-18-2011 at 01:36 PM..