Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-25-2011, 06:03 PM

Default Flying with rods

I had the misfortune to try to carry my 2 piece Orvis rod on a Delta flight to Utah. They told me I would have to check it and seeing it was my third bag they charged me $50.00!!
I complained that I had seen many other people carrying rods onboard but they would not budge. I wrote a letter to Delta when I returned but they said the gate agents have the final say. Needless to say, I shipped the rod back UPS for $4.00!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 PM

Has anyone checked out these travel bags from Fishpond?

https://littleriveroutfitters.com/st...829&quantity=1

A cheaper alternative to the hard sided case since most of us already have a hard case for our rods anyway. I need to see one of these in person though.

I will be taking multiple fishing trips in the near future, and I am seriously weighing my options. The benefit of the hard sided cases is that I can also store my reels, spools, fly boxes, tippet, etc. in them. Don't know if these soft cases will handle all of that.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-04-2011, 11:42 PM

Stopped in at LRO today on my way to fish, and as I walked through the door I saw one of the Fishpond Dakota cases sitting there with a 25% off sticker on it. It was a 2010 model, and Fishpond changed the color combinations for 2011. Daniel said that it had been there for a long time, and it was about time somebody snatched it up. I am thrilled with it.

This isn't my first Fishpond purchase, and I am sure it will not be my last. They produce very high quality merchandise that is very user friendly. Tried out my rods in it when I got home, and even my 9' 8-wt saltwater rod with a fighting butt fit easily into this case. Can't wait to take it on the next trip.

FYI..... I believe Daniel told me that there was still one more of the Dakota cases left and maybe even one Orvis Safe Passage rod case left at the 25% off rate. So, if you are looking for one of these cases, you may want to give LRO a call and see if they still have these sitting around.

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-10-2011, 09:37 PM

I usually drive on all my fishing vacations, so packing enough gear safely isn't an issue. I fly for family vacations or business travel. Either way, I'm never without a rod or two. On family and business trips, I usually pack one spinning rod and one fly rod, depending on where I'm going. I always check the airline I'm traveling for carryon specifications, to make sure the rod tubes will fit. I usually make my own rod tubes out of heavy pvc from Home Depot or lowes, that way I can cut them to the right length. I also have this little gem, it allows me to carry multiple small aluminum tubes with me thru the airport. I have a 2nd small carryon with my reels, but I put my flies/lures and fishing tools in my check in just in case something isn't kosher and it would get pulled at security.

Word of note, if you ever fly to Key West. The commuter flights into Key West are very limited on luggage. One carryon and one check in use to be the rule. Last time I went, I made a very strong rod tube for 5-6 rods, packed it really well, and shipped it ups to my hotel and took a return shipping label with me for when I was done. Cost about $80 at the time. Funny thing is, ups broke my rod tube(not the rods). I filed a claim and they bought me a new one.

Good luck
DW
Old 03-11-2011, 09:37 AM

Travis...... I was in there on the 5th and didn't even think to look. Lol. I'll make sure to look the next time I'm there.

Fisherman00...... thanks for the info, need all I can get.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knik View Post
Travis...... I was in there on the 5th and didn't even think to look. Lol. I'll make sure to look the next time I'm there.
Knik,

If you know what you want, call and they will ship it to you for free. I wanted to see the Orvis and Fishpond cases side-by-side before making my purchase. LRO, as I expected, had them both there so I was able to do just that. The Fishpond case had a much higher quality feel to it than the Orvis case. The Dakota zippers and materials were more substantial, and very well built. Plus I am not a big fan of the clear plastic pockets on the front of the old Orvis case. I do quite a bit of business travel, and most all have the same carry-on dimensions restrictions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermen00 View Post
I always check the airline I'm traveling for carryon specifications, to make sure the rod tubes will fit.
Linear inches is the L + W + H, so 45 linear inches could be 12" x 10" x 23", or 31" x 9" x 5", or any other combination that equals 45.

United: 45 linear inches
Delta: 45 linear inches
US Airways: 45 linear inches
Southwest: 10 x 16 x 24
Continental: 45 inches

Fishpond Dakota: 45 linear inches
Orvis Medium Case: 45.5 linear inches
Orvis Large Case: 51 linear inches

Email ChemEAngler

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 03-11-2011 at 05:31 PM..
Old 03-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knik View Post
So, how do you guys transport your rods when flying? (Carry-on/ checked baggage)

What rod bags/tubes do you like for this type traveling?
I attach my rod tubes to my backpack and I never have a problem.

I spend more time worrying about who I travel with than about the rods as the first takes care of the second. Southwest and Alaskan airlines are the best, least hassle options.

I travel mostly with spey rods and one of those is a four piece 15 foot rod. I have another 10 foot four piece that I put into a cardboard tube and tape closed. I have had up to four attached to my backpack which contains my waders, wading boots, reels, fly lines, and flies. Tying material not including hooks is placed in there as well with sun glasses and cameras.

Everything else gets put in the bottom of a military duffle bag with all my clothes on top. It they want my tying hooks and other tools, they are gonna have to dig hard for them. The return trips are worse as the clothes are often dirty and fish slime covered.

For full rods, when I go offshore saltwater, I ship by UPS. Do it from home and take it to a local UPS place. You will save a ton of money and avoid the "franchise fee."

Any other questions?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
I travel mostly with spey rods and one of those is a four piece 15 foot rod. I have another 10 foot four piece that I put into a cardboard tube and tape closed. I have had up to four attached to my backpack which contains my waders, wading boots, reels, fly lines, and flies. Tying material not including hooks is placed in there as well with sun glasses and cameras.
My goodness, that must be one heavy pack! That is a lot of stuff to put in a backpack, and to have fit within the carry on size restrictions.

I think it would be easy to pick you out in an airport.

I typically check my waders and boots. That is because I usually have a backpack full of camera gear, so I can't take along a third bag for waders and boots. However, it is something I have thought about trying for a while. When having large carry-ons it is a huge benefit being a Delta Sky Priority (or other airline preferred customer) member, because I get to board first and it is easy to find carry-on space.

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
My goodness, that must be one heavy pack!
It is but they don't weigh carry on bags now do they.....

As for Delta, I am not a fan they have gone out of their way to (hi Paula) cause more trouble than they are worth giving them business. If you fly southwest you sign in the day before and most times will have the back half of the plane to divide your bags into the overhead space. The nice thing about the airlines is women with large purses. The airlines specify a carry on and personal item, that can be a purse. If the women get a big purse I get a big second bag for other things. On big offshore trips it is my reel bag which weighs upwards of 60lbs when full. You just have to make sure that it looks lighter when you carry it....lots of people would be shocked if they knew my carry on baggage weighs around 100-110 lbs.

I would never put my waders in checked baggage, especially with Delta. You are asking to ruin a trip if you do that, especially if like me the final destination airport is still hours from the fishing.

The greatest sin in destination fly fishing is not having your gear with you at all times.

Mail the extra camera equipment, better to catch fish than take pictures of not catching fish.

I got my most recent backpack off of sierra trading post. Get one with an internal frame and good back support. I also look for one with lots of tie off points and strings and such.....makes attaching the rod tubes much easier...
Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
It is but they don't weigh carry on bags now do they.....

As for Delta, I am not a fan they have gone out of their way to (hi Paula) cause more trouble than they are worth giving them business.
Gee whiz, gutshot, was that your attempt at a clever way of baiting me?

Paula