Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-20-2011, 11:19 PM

Default Small stream fly fishing setup?

Hey folks,

I am looking to purchase a small stream fly rig. I have narrowed my search down to:
Orvis Clearwater II 7' 4wt med action
St Croix Imperial 7' 4wt fast action
TFO Professional 8' 4wt fast action
TFO Finesse 7' 9" 4wt med action
I plan to couple one of these rods with a Orvis BBS II reel
I am open to suggestions...don't plan to purchase until first or second week of March
Any comments?

Charles
"Often, I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, briar scarred, sunburned, mosquito-bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand, have I been in a place that was less than beautiful."

Charles
Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 AM

LA Manta-

I think you're on the right track for setting up your rig. You do want a shorter rod, 4 wt, and a fast action. I base that upon the fact that the small streams usually have brush & trees along thlem and your back cast will be limited unless you like catching squirrels. You will probably have to make your casts with a roll cast and a fast action will help you load the rod quicker. And you probably will not be casting very far.

Good luck.

Bill
Old 02-21-2011, 12:38 PM

Yep sounds as if you are on the right track all of those rods are a good choice. My small stream rod is an 11 ft Tenkara.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckytroutbum View Post
LA Manta-

I think you're on the right track for setting up your rig. You do want a shorter rod, 4 wt, and a fast action. I base that upon the fact that the small streams usually have brush & trees along thlem and your back cast will be limited unless you like catching squirrels. You will probably have to make your casts with a roll cast and a fast action will help you load the rod quicker. And you probably will not be casting very far.

Good luck.

Bill
I like a slower rod for small streams personally. I have more control on short casts.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:29 PM

I fishe the Smoky's with a 8' 2wt TFO. I love to fish the small streams. The 8' gives me length to keep line off the water and the 2wt.givens an awesome feel, I also use an Orvis reel.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 PM

I'm on the team that a slower rod is better in the backcountry because it loads with less line out and typically role cast better. As far as length, I think that is a personal preference depending on if you like to dap or cast. I like to cast so tend to go with someting ni the 7' range with a medium action. It kind of works out nice since I like bamboo and that is about the optimal setup. I've made and fished shorter and longer rods and usually go to either a 7' 4wt or a 7'6" 5wt rod.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:42 PM

I agree with the others that like slower rods. I would go for the TFO Finesse probably out of those choices... Try casting them all and see which one you like though because everyone is different...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 PM

Charles,
Although I enjoy using 2 and 4 wts of various lengths I find that using 5 wts gives me a little more versatility. I have them in 6 to 10 ft lengths and usually select the longest one I think I can get away with that day. It depends on the type of water I'm fishing. Lots of books have been written about small stream fishing!

Lee
Old 02-21-2011, 11:58 PM

My small stream rod is a 7'-3" 2-wt TFO finesse series. It is what I like. Others prefer faster rods or longer rods. You need to go to LRO and test out a selection of rods and see what works best for you.

You can buy a rod based on our opinions, and absolutely regret your choice. Go physically put your hands on all those rods, preferably side-by-side, and make your decision then.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-22-2011, 12:17 PM

Default Small Stream

LA MantaRay12,

I am certainly not a casting expert nor a rod expert. However, I believe that a slower action rod does work better in conditions requiring a lot of short casts an roll casts. I agree with others that you need to go and compare the rods. I would make sure and do some roll casting during that process. I have a TFO Finesse that I use in the mountains on small streams. It is a great rod, but my casting method may vary significantly from yours. You don't want to make a decision that you regret later. Good luck and good drifts.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.