Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 PM

Post VIDEO: The Effects of Poor Line Management

This is probably the biggest issue I see in early Spring for my casual fly fisherman. It is imperative to clean/treat and stretch the loops out of your fly line. Additionally, be attentive to keeping a nice taught line in your drift so that it does not sag and disturb the fish. I made a short video this past weekend that illustrates a bad drift and it helps to illustrate the transmitting of sound underwater.

I like to keep my fly reel/rod inside during the winter months. Also, I try to clean and condition it before a trip if the line has been coiled for more than a month. You can use a slightly damp rag to wring out the coils if you must do this inside. One warmer days; I usually wrap my line around a tree and let the sun free up the energy stored the line.

http://www.facebook.com/v/10150155085073319
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 PM

I would think that tree bark would be an abrasive. Me- I just fish. Never gone to all that trouble in 48 years. The line straightens out after a few casts. I use furled leaders so no problem there.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
I would think that tree bark would be an abrasive. Me- I just fish. Never gone to all that trouble in 48 years. The line straightens out after a few casts. I use furled leaders so no problem there.
--------------
Sorry to those that could not access the video; I had to change the settings to everyone. The link should work now.
--
The tree bark would be abrasive; but, I wrap my around a nice popular and let it stretch.

I truly believe stretching your fly line and treating it every so often will greatly increase your casting control, presentation, and line management. One easy way is to unravel your line in your home and to use a damp wash cloth to smooth out a foot or two at a time. Then, just reel it back on the line after treating the line with a conditioner. Most of the fly lines are made of some type of petroleum distillate and they 'gas off' or 'leach' over time. This all depends on how the line is stored and the conditions it is used. If you have been fishing for 48 years; you may still be using silk...? That is some great stuff; but, out of my price range.

I understand trying to keep things simple. But, I see this issue with about 85% of the fisherman on the water right now. Most of them have kept their rods in storage all winter and the line has formed the proverbial coil loop of the reel.

Just trying to offer a point of view from my vantage point. I am no expert. I just thought it would help a few people understand why they are not catching as many fish as the next guy with the same fly.

*A good test to see if you line needs stretched and conditioned is to let it drift - extended in fairly calm water and to try and pull the line taught and slightly release the tension with your free hand. It should remain straight when you release the line and the leader connection should remain straight and extended. Also, it should be floating completely; unless you are using a sinking line/tip.

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 02-23-2011 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: P.S.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:56 PM

Shawn good post. one thing that I do to help with line memory is to put the line around the ball on my trailor hitch and walk backwards to stretch the line back out. Caution must be used not to apply to much pressure, if your line is dry rotted ever so slightly this can cause major damage to the lines.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
Shawn good post. one thing that I do to help with line memory is to put the line around the ball on my trailor hitch and walk backwards to stretch the line back out. Caution must be used not to apply to much pressure, if your line is dry rotted ever so slightly this can cause major damage to the lines.
That trailer hitch is a dang good idea. Learn something new everyday!
Where's the big ones Rod? I can't find those June fish(?).
See you on the river, stay out of my riffle!

4X
Old 02-24-2011, 05:44 PM

Ha that makes two of us I havnt turned a fish over 16 inches yet. They'll show up in a month or so. I havnt been down around your runs yet this year. Might sneek over there and plow up the bottom with a big pt soon! Stay after them
Old 02-24-2011, 06:48 PM

About the trailer hitch thing...
I doubt the Prius/Subaru/BMW gang even have a chrome ball.
I guess they'll have to scan the woods for a nice smooooth barked poplar.
I like to clean my flyline in nice clear riverwater and stretch it with nuclear rainbows.
Rod- Please stay out of my riffle. I'm saving it for June!

4X
Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 PM

Nice underwater video. In MHO I think it is important to clean your fly line on a regular basis.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 PM

Thumbs up

Clean mine every couple trips and put Line Speed or SA conditioner on 'em. Usually stretch line out b4 using on some part of the truck, mostly the trailer hitch. Best way to stretch a line is to hook and play a 15"+ fish for awhile on 6X.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnapp View Post
Clean mine every couple trips and put Line Speed or SA conditioner on 'em. Usually stretch line out b4 using on some part of the truck, mostly the trailer hitch. Best way to stretch a line is to hook and play a 15"+ fish for awhile on 6X.
That is why you are so successful with the fly