Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 02-22-2011, 12:59 PM

Default NEW to trout, but not to the FLY!

been a fisherman since i was 3, on the fly since i was 8. except for a few family trips to the mountains when i was a kid, i've done almost no trout fishing. i've been in charleston, s.c. for the last 9 years, and i've landed sails, tarpon, dolphin, tuna, bonefish, snook, hundreds of redfish, seatrout, flounder, sheepshead, amberjack, spadefish, barracuda, albies "false albacore", tons of largemouth and bream, and numerous other species on the fly. my wife, myself, and my two kids moved to townsend in late november from charleston, after a brief camping trip here where we fell in love with it and were looking to relocate from charleston anyway after the economy went south. on day #1 here in town, i went to LRO where paula hooked me up with a TFO 4/5 and an orvis battenkill, a box of assorted flies, and gave me a few tips on how and where to search for these critters. the same day, i landed 3 decent/average fish in the area of our campground where we were stationed. since, i've caught several more on the fly, including one just outside of townsend that went 21". however, i'm quite the "rookie" at this stuff, and am still far more comfortable on the deck of 23ish flats or center con, or stalking the grass flats of sullivan's island looking for tails waving in the air.
Just wanted to introduce myself, and anyone who is willing to throw a few tips my way would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to make a trip up little river trail (i've walked it several times already, but not fished it) in the VERY near future, and if anyone would care to join me i'd GREATLY appreciate the company and always enjoy making new friends, especially in the fishing world. feel free to contact me if you are interested, or just to say hello! I am welcome to all interaction when it comes to fishing, and one can never have too many contacts or friends in this world! GLAD TO BE HERE!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Welcome aboard, wizard. I'm still pretty new to fly fishing in general, but I love it and have big plans for hitting the park hard and often this year. If you don't mind fishing with someone who's still learning themselves, I'd be proud to buddy up with you sometime. Are you available for fishing during the week at all? I work most weekends through the spring and summer, but can sometimes slip away during the week for a day of fishing. At any rate, I'm sure I'll run into you at LRO or on a creek or somewhere sometime in the future and will look forward to meeting you in person. In the meantime, enjoy the forum. Lot's of good folks with helpful attitudes plus a great wealth of info to share and a general willingness to share it.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:36 PM

I am currently free to fish pretty much any day at the moment. I have to be back by 3 most days to meet the kids coming home from school, but other than that, i am free to fish. I will be re-joining the working world very soon, and things may change at that point, however for now I can fish anytime, and weekdays are great due to the solitude. let's get together and buddy up, i'm ready when you are!
Old 02-22-2011, 08:17 PM

Wizard,
Welcome! With a resume like yours adapting to trout should be no problem. In fact, it sounds like you're already there. Great to have you.

Lee
Old 02-23-2011, 12:38 PM

Hello there
Welcome to the board
lets here about your fishing experiences. I am one of the out of the area guys who has to live vicariously through others efforts (most of the time)
Old 02-23-2011, 02:09 PM

will do. posting a report tomorrow, i'm taking that trip up little river trail tomorrow. will post results (even in they are embarrassing) after i return. missing the salt at the moment, a buddy landed 8 reds back in my old home waters yesterday, 6 of them on the fly. <SIGH>
Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 PM

Hope the rain doesn't blow you out; good luck!

Don't know that I could have given up the awesome fishing of Charleston for itsy bitsy trout though.

I moved here from Maine (where my Mom has more than three feet of snow now); the trout were okay but the only saltwater fly fish were stripers and they haven't migrated that far north for many years.

Maybe I'll bump into you some time
Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 AM

we left charleston for several uncontrollable circumstances, not by fishing choice! i will miss the salt very much, and will most likely make several trips each season to hop on board with my old friends and stock up the freezer with dolphin and wahoo. while i will miss the "bigger" fish, i've always had a special place for that feeling i get in a small mountain stream, the peace and solitude, as i throw a dry out and wait for that "itsy bitsy" trout to decide that my poorly tied imitation MIGHT be a real bug this time!... so, i'm not too terribly upset, and we as a family are happier here than we were in charleston since things got tough down there. it's a simple life, but it suits us
Old 02-26-2011, 11:54 AM

Wizard; we know exactly what you mean! Maine became an economic dump for me and my son (we are entreprenuerial type and self empowered/employed) and would rather be "pre-positioned" here for an economic recovery than up North.

The folks down here also have better values.

When I figure out how to fly catch stripers below Loudon Dam you'll have to come along.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:16 PM

i did a lot of striper fishing on my home lake of lake wateree in south carolina. i also have been doing a lot of research on the dams here, and plan to hit the melton dam area in the next few weeks myself. you'll have to come hop aboard and we'll get our feelings hurt together!