Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 PM

Default Townsend smallmouth

I have never fished for smallmout with a fly rod. I'm wanting to try on the little river in townsend but dont know when to start or what flies to try. Also is my rod ok? Scott s4 9' 5wt i have also heard people talk about the pigeon river through sevierville from chapman hwy to the knife works. Any help at all would be great. Thanks guys
Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 PM

I am not familiar with those waters, but I have fished for smallmouth on the fly a few times. My favorite fly has been the tequeely streamer. It's flashy and has yellow rubber legs. Your basic wooly buggers and clousers do just fine too. Depending on what time of year you go, you can try some poppers in the morning. I like chartreuse. One tip would be that their eyes are light sensitive, so try casting at shady areas. As for you rod, it should be fine. If you hook a big one it might horse you around ao little, but it's manageable...hope I have helped a little.

Garrett
Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 PM

Last year I was fishing on the east prong of the Little river about a half mile up the road toward Gatlinburg from the Y. I caught a smallmouth bass on a bead head pheasant tail nymph dropped off of a parachute Adams dry fly. It was my first smallmouth bass on a fly rod and first in the park. It was pretty small, about half a pound, but I sure was surprised that I had caught it on a nymph.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 AM

Smallmouth are pretty dormant in cold water. When water temperatures get around 55-60 degrees their activity really increases.

They will hit just about anything, but seem to prefer minnow imitations like the murdich minnow, clouser, woolybugger, etc. in white, chartreuse and with flash. Of course poppers are always good too in the summer.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 AM

For smallies, I had good luck with a Prince nymph or a BHPT as mentioned. I was actually fishing for trout and caught smallmouths instead. The fun thing about smallies is that they put up a heck of a fight when hooked.

Harry Murray, of Edinburgh, VA, fishes for trout & smallies with a fly rod. He's written numerous books, of which one is "Fly Fishing Techniques for Smallmouth Bass." I just finished reading the book, and the techniques are markedly different than trout. You might want to get a copy for $20.

Bill
Old 02-26-2011, 01:31 PM

Olive wooly bugger with a gold head in size 8-10. also a sz 4 clouser, let the hair extend half again past the bend of the hook, in chartruese and white w/ a few strands of silver flash in between the two. i've caught more smallies than trout in townsend since i moved here in november, so i've experimented a little with it on the fly end and both of these have proved deadly. the farther downstream you get from townsend, the more fish i seem to find, and the average size seems to increase a little as you get down too...
Old 02-26-2011, 01:46 PM

forgot to mention, tie the clauser kinda sparse, so it has a thin profile. it makes a difference...
Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the advise. I'm gonna try to get out there soon. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 PM

I have a lot of luck around here fishing black Wooly Buggers and black Chicago flies. All of our smallie streams here have hellgramites and I think these two flies imitate them pretty well. I also fish Black Nose Dace and Clousers with silver or gray and a little black. Crawfish pattersn are also a must have pattern around here. I tend to stick with a 4 weight on most of our Kentucky streams, but if I fish Elkhorn Creek I go with a 6 weight because of the chance that you will get into a bigger fish on this stream.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 PM

KY Tim,

I used to fish the Elkhorn all the time in the 80s and early 90s, when I lived in Lexington. I loved that water. Is it still in good shape?