Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Default not a report! (til tommorrow!)... need advice on flies to take

Taking off to hit the little river trail tommorrow, need advice and the "don't leave home without these" list for this time of year in that area. long time fly-guy but new to the area and to trout (read my new member post). Can't stand it any longer, and i'm going to throw the whip for a couple hours tommorrow. any advice from you regulars on fishing the trail this time of year and what must-have flies to take along and in what size? will post a full report on the day's events after returning tommorrow afternoon. any advice much appreciated. first ever trip to the higher waters for me, what should i expect?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM

If it were me I would take a bead head pheasant tail size 16 if I could only take one fly. Maybe some little midges and quill gordon dry as Byron said on his report (yesterday I think). Good luck by the way. Are you new to the Townsend area?

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 PM

They were taking #16 flashback pheasant tails with gusto last Saturday. I would start with that or a regular BHPT.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 PM

thanks to you both, those were on the list, but it's nice to know i was on the right track. Chem, were you on the LR trail? Crock, yes, i moved here in the last week of november, about a mile away from LRO (love it here now that it's warming up) and only just became a member on here a few days ago. (although i hit LRO on day 1 lol) I only recently discovered the forum... once again, thanks for the input, glad a few people were willing to help out the newcomer.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:57 PM

Flashback hairs ear maybe?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 PM

I fished Tremont today about a 1/4 mile up the gravel. I caught two nice bows on a BHPT #14 and two small guys on a Blue Quill Wet #16. Also tried a Blue Quill #16 Dry, Para. Adams, Klinkhammer Olive with an olive flashback hare's ear drop, and a black stimulator - none of these got any hits. It looked like there was a hatch of blue quills (though they could've been quill gordons) but no surface activity; I guess the water was still a little cold.

Got checked for my license and took a nice swim (just had to verify that the water was indeed cold).
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 PM

i've ALREADY gotten my new license for 2011 (don't wanna take any chances i'll forget) so i'm all set on the license front; I'll take your word for it on the cold water (i hope) and try to fight the urge to do a "skin check", although i can't find any wood to knock on so i'll just keep my fingers crossed. i figure i'll start the morning out with a PT, beaded or not depending on the lie, and maybe a zebra. after that, i'll just kinda see what the day throws at me, like any other i guess. Still new to this so i'm a rookie in a pro's game, but i'll let you all know about the trip after i get home. (with lots of luck, i'll maybe have a pic or two). takin the wife along to wet her VERY FIRST fly lines. i'd give a day full of nice fish comin' my way just to see her land a few! tight lines to all...
Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
Chem, were you on the LR trail?
Nope, I fished a few places on west prong and Laurel Creek.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 PM

I am not a big nymph fisherman. So; I would roll the dice and throw dry flies.
  • Griffiths Gnat
  • Any BiVisibles
  • Stimilators
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 AM

I saw alot of early stones on the water Monday. I wouldn't be with out some 14 or 16 dark elk- hair caddis or the like. I caught my biggest fish on a dry MOnday, so their looking up.
Lynn