Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-24-2011, 07:24 PM

Cool the report i promised (don't get too excited)

Didn't make it all the way to the LR trail as planned, was worried about getting caught in the passing rains too far away from the ride home! fished along the roadsides, between the Y and elkmont. first spot i stopped at, had 2 hits in the first five drifts, but couldn't hook up on either. thought to myself "this is gonna be a GREAT day!"... but, i was wrong. i'm still a rookie in the trout game, but it still hurts to have to post this. fished for 4 hours in several different areas, never had another strike. took a small swim trying to retrieve my strike indicators and lost my footing, the water is 30 degrees below COLD.
both those hits came on a beaded pheasant (or possibly the hare's ear under it?) but they proved to be much smarter than I am today. did have a small hatch come on of about 30ish over a half hour in one area (don't know my insects well enough yet to positively identify but they were about a size 16?) but never saw a single rise. tried an adams, a parachute, and BWO in similar sizes anyway, but to no avail. STILL NICE TO GET OUT THERE THOUGH... hope some of you got out and managed better than i did.
Total for the day:
2 missed strikes,
2 VERY cold legs and feet,
1 sprained ankle,
1 lost pack of strike indicators,
about 10 pictures of the scenery,
1 priceless day shared with the wife in the smokies stream,
and the knowledge that it doesn't take CATCHING to still LOVE FISHING!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:17 PM

You were out there. That's better than being stuck behind a desk.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 PM

Wizard,

Winter in Park isn't exactly easy fishing for anyone, much less someone just getting started. Got skunked more than once when I got started and the Little River (roadside) is still a tough river for me, in big part because I don't fish it much cause I like peace and quiet and that's hard to find on Little River Road most of the year.

Quills will be hatching soon, give it a another lick and you'll break the skunk. Consider using Quill Gordon wet flies during the heavy hatches, they often hit the emergers as good or better than the adults.

Good luck,

Neal
Old 02-24-2011, 10:27 PM

Drove the east prong of Little River from Townsend to Sugarlands and back yesterday. Did not see a single fisherman going up or coming back. Very few people in the park right now.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:23 AM

I still had a great time regardless of the goose egg catch count... all of the streams are proving to be tough on me at the moment; i can spot a lone redfish cruising a flat from 200 yards, approach stealthily, and 8 out 10 times get him to take... but i can't seem to get the hang of where these little mountain critters like to hang out. i'm in the learning to read the water process, so far i'm just "seeing" water, not "reading" it i guess lol... If little river is a tough one for a newbie, what would be a better one to start building some skills and understanding on? (i don't mind a trek if that is necessary). can anyone suggest a better learning water for me, where i might not come home smelling skunk?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old east tn boy View Post
Drove the east prong of Little River from Townsend to Sugarlands and back yesterday. Did not see a single fisherman going up or coming back. Very few people in the park right now.
I bet with the rain you'll see a bunch of kayakers out there the next few days.

I get extra enjoyment when the park is empty. You can make record time and it just feels more like a wilderness experience.

If these temps keep up, it just may be spring
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 AM

ok so you did not manage to catch anything you still come out way on top since you took your better half with you to do some you like to do but now it was a "we" experience.

Besides that LR is hard to fish(IMO). Go by LRO get a map and chat them up and I'll bet they point you toward better water for this time of year.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
I still had a great time regardless of the goose egg catch count... all of the streams are proving to be tough on me at the moment; i can spot a lone redfish cruising a flat from 200 yards, approach stealthily, and 8 out 10 times get him to take... but i can't seem to get the hang of where these little mountain critters like to hang out. i'm in the learning to read the water process, so far i'm just "seeing" water, not "reading" it i guess lol... If little river is a tough one for a newbie, what would be a better one to start building some skills and understanding on? (i don't mind a trek if that is necessary). can anyone suggest a better learning water for me, where i might not come home smelling skunk?
Hello,

I would suggest the "plunge pool" type streams. West Prong Little Pigeon WPLP, the Greenbriar. The lower sections of these streams are typically rainbow water, brookies become more common as you head upstream especially on the Greenbriar and on Walkers Camp Prong and Road Prong which merge to create the WPLP. I would suggest the Sugarlands area of WPLP early in the season, the Quill Gordons were hatching down there mid-March last spring, I assume it'll happen earlier this season.

Good luck,

Neal
Old 02-25-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
Hello,

I would suggest the "plunge pool" type streams. West Prong Little Pigeon WPLP, the Greenbriar. The lower sections of these streams are typically rainbow water, brookies become more common as you head upstream especially on the Greenbriar and on Walkers Camp Prong and Road Prong which merge to create the WPLP. I would suggest the Sugarlands area of WPLP early in the season, the Quill Gordons were hatching down there mid-March last spring, I assume it'll happen earlier this season.

Good luck,

Neal
Great advice on the plunge pools, typically easier to sneak up on them. Remember to fish the back of the pool first (the part closest to you). You need to catch the sentry and release him downstream or he will warn all other residents of the pool.

Hang in there, successfully fly fishing for trout in mountain streams ain't exactly hard, you just need a little more experience. Each time you fish, you will get a little bit better. You will continue to catch more and more fish and also you will continue to catch bigger and bigger fish.

Every time I fish, I get a little bit better than I was the last time I fished (unless it's been a while, then I usually catch a few trees before I get back in the swing).

Remember, most importantly, when fishing small streams, stealth is the key. Wild trout spook very easily. The smaller the stream, the more critical the stealth becomes.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:36 PM

Hey Wizard...good information on the plunge pools...another great piece of water for this type of pocket water fishing would be Porter's Creek over in Greenbrier...lots of pocket pools and plenty of small trout to keep the skunk off while learning to read the water....stay away from those slow, deep pools for now...you want something where the trout don't have a whole lot of time to inspect your offering...I learned from my cousin and grandfather and most of what I picked up was just watching them...I am sure you could hook up with someone on the board and tag along with them sometime...fastest learning curve is to go out one time with a guide and milk him for all he's worth...it will come and when it does enjoy yourself.