Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 PM

Default Unusual happening

I decided to do some site-seeing yesterday instead of fishing. Ms. Annie and I drove up to Newfound Gap to see if there was still snow on the ground. I pulled into the big parking lot overlooking NC side of the park, shut the engine off and hit the door unlocks thinking Ms. Annie might want to stretch her legs after all the riding. Before getting out and still seated behind the wheel I grabbed my camera bag and was digging around for my little point-and-shoot when the passenger side door opened!

Now Ms. Annie is a smart dog but she hasn't yet figured out how to open a car door. Besides, she was in the back seat and the front door was opening! I looked up about the same time she starts growling to see this guy start to climb into the car. He had one leg in and was about to ease his rear end into the seat when Ms. Annie goes into full blown attack mode and starts over the console after him. Meanwhile I am reaching for Mr. Kimber in the door pocket thinking if she doesn't stop him I will. I think she stopped him because I never got the gun out of the door before he starts backing out of the car and apologizing something about "Sorry dude, wrong car."

He walked away but never got into another car. My vehicle is a silver SUV; the only other silver vehicle in the lot is a minivan a good 60-70 feet away, in the opposite direction he walked! Young guy, mid twenties, stocky with a black beard. No one was walking with him. I was parked away from other vehicles near grass for the dog to relieve herself on. A few people around but not near me.

Hmmm ... a total moron or a car jacker looking for an easy target in a remote place. I'm convinced he didn't see the dog (tinted windows) until he started in. She's 70 pounds, has big white teeth and was showing most of them to him.

Be careful out there folks. This one caught me totally by surprise. Lesson learned; never unlock the doors until you are ready to get out!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 PM

Very strange indeed! Crazy times, and crazy people out there.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Weird people out there for sure, ya never know what people are thinking....... or if they even are.

Thumbs up for Ms. Annie!!! Sure glad you had her with you.

How much snow is left up there by the way?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 AM

What a great thing you had her with you. That is definately strange but just confirms the crazy world we live in.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 AM

No snow at all in the parking area but about a mile up the AT the trail had quite a bit in shady spots. Trail itself was pretty slick in spots from packed snow due to foot traffic.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old east tn boy View Post
I decided to do some site-seeing yesterday instead of fishing. Ms. Annie and I drove up to Newfound Gap to see if there was still snow on the ground. I pulled into the big parking lot overlooking NC side of the park, shut the engine off and hit the door unlocks thinking Ms. Annie might want to stretch her legs after all the riding. Before getting out and still seated behind the wheel I grabbed my camera bag and was digging around for my little point-and-shoot when the passenger side door opened!

Now Ms. Annie is a smart dog but she hasn't yet figured out how to open a car door. Besides, she was in the back seat and the front door was opening! I looked up about the same time she starts growling to see this guy start to climb into the car. He had one leg in and was about to ease his rear end into the seat when Ms. Annie goes into full blown attack mode and starts over the console after him. Meanwhile I am reaching for Mr. Kimber in the door pocket thinking if she doesn't stop him I will. I think she stopped him because I never got the gun out of the door before he starts backing out of the car and apologizing something about "Sorry dude, wrong car."

He walked away but never got into another car. My vehicle is a silver SUV; the only other silver vehicle in the lot is a minivan a good 60-70 feet away, in the opposite direction he walked! Young guy, mid twenties, stocky with a black beard. No one was walking with him. I was parked away from other vehicles near grass for the dog to relieve herself on. A few people around but not near me.

Hmmm ... a total moron or a car jacker looking for an easy target in a remote place. I'm convinced he didn't see the dog (tinted windows) until he started in. She's 70 pounds, has big white teeth and was showing most of them to him.

Be careful out there folks. This one caught me totally by surprise. Lesson learned; never unlock the doors until you are ready to get out!
Wow! That is very unnerving! Did you report it to the rangers or the police? If not; it may be worth making a report now. I would assume there was something odd in his intentions for such a brazen episode! Glad your dog was with you and took care of you as well! I believe I would had shown the pistol in a neutral stance and asked that he stay until you could discuss it with authorities. - I say this in hindsight. I just want to help stop and catch these people.

Glad you took the time to share this story and to remind others of these situations! I am very glad you are ok. I wonder if he tried it again later...?
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 AM

My lab would have licked the guy on his neck; if I left him in the truck with keys he would drive off with anyone on the hope that a McDonalds was in his future.

Mr. Kimber is a friend of mine as well, extremely reliable and always handy.

I think that it would have been good to watch the guy for a while so he didn't victimize someone less prepared.

Don't blame you for not messing up the interior of your vehicle or putting a red stain on the Park.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 AM

Hope you reported with description to the Park LE Rangers. If not please do. Maybe innocent enough, maybe not. I am sure they could keep an eye out for such a person with your good description.

My lab as well would have lifted her right paw to shake with him.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:46 AM

Default weird

Something like this, but way less dangerous happened to me this winter.

In my neck of the woods the amish are driven around by "English" van drivers. I was sitting at a pharmacy waiting and at the end of the parking lot was a van waiting. Out walks an Amish man, opens my door, and climbs in! I look over and say "hi". He had a startled looked then began laughing. I wasn't worried at all..... same story but different characters. my encounter was a comedy...your's was not.

Do you think he was just "not too bright" or was did he have malicious intent? Glad you and your dog are ok.... he coulda been a thug, yet I'm glad he didn't get shot. I don't think you'd want to deal with that either.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:30 AM

It is a sad state of affairs when you can't go sight seeing without watching your back! Back in the 1980's my wife and I use to hunt Montana and camp on a couple of ranches. One night at about 3:00 AM I heard someone and grabbed my S&W M19. Two escapees from a correctional facility in South Dakota were going to steal my truck. I "talked" them out of it and went to the ranch house with them and got in touch with local authorities. It sounds like Ms. Annie is a great companion and having Mr. Kimber doesn't hurt either! Be safe!