Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-25-2011, 11:45 AM

Full moon has for sure been extended this month. We always have loons in the store around the full moon but this month has been above average. Still be careful out there, wish the dog would have bit him in the arse. Maybe next time he'll make sure he has the " right " vehicle.
Lynn
Old 02-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Glad you and your dog made it through this without harm. I agree with others that it should be reported, to protect any possible future victims.

You can never know when something like this happens whether it's just an innocent mistake or a well rehearsed ploy to a hijacking or worse. It is known that our NPS has a criminal element that grows and manufacture drugs(meth) in some areas. There have been murders on the AT. This is why I carry my 1911A1 with me when in the park. No expectation of police protection, especially in the wild.

My yellow lab would have taken the guys face off, as he was trained to guard my tractor trailer and attack upon any attempted intrusion. My black lab would have licked him and begged for a "treat."

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 02-25-2011, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the info on this made me re-think where I keep my Bersa Thunder (glovebox) and possibly moving it a bit closer to me in the driver door or elsewhere. You never know where someone will appear I always kind of assumed they would try to get to me through the driver door and I would move deeper into the passenger side whilst retrieving the Bersa.

Newfound Gap does seem like an odd spot for carjackings though. Seems weird that criminals would go that far when there are thousands of easy targets much closer by in town. I tend to think it probably was a mistake but luckily you were ready and didn't have to find out for sure. I wonder how many carjackings happen in the Smokies each year? Probably not too many in Cades Cove cause of the lack of a fast getaway.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 PM

And I have been wandering thru the woods worried about bears, wild hogs, and snakes....... Do you think the guys was high on something?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:19 PM

Only problem with Mr. Kimber is that if he's with you when you wade fish he might help sink you to the bottom if you slip and fall.... maybe I need a Mr. Kel-Tec?
Old 02-26-2011, 12:00 AM

Regarding the intruder, I tend to think it might have been an error. Consider the totality of circumstances........this is too weird. To all of you who carry part time, full time and all the time remember this. To absolutely be prepared you must absolutely carry all the time without exception. This means on your person ready for business. The one time you get lax about it could cost you everything. I know this is harsh and out of the realm of casual. But think about it anyway. The life you save....................

Lee
Old 02-26-2011, 10:46 AM

Default unusual happening

After another day of thinking this one over I still can't decide if it was a mistake or intentional. He was pretty casual about it, no big laugh or embarrassed apology like most of us would react with. It was as if this happens all the time and oh well, no big deal. As someone has suggested, he might have been a little bit high? Walked away pretty straight though. But this one sure has bothered me.

I need to restrain Ms. Annie inside the vehicle some way while we travel. Roaming free in the back is simply not safe for her or passengers. However, had she been restrained she could not have gotten to this guy. What to do?

I didn't deploy Mr. Kimber fast enough. I'm right handed, gun was on my left. I am going to relocate it on my right and closer at hand.

I could have done a better job of noticing my surroundings but you can't watch everything all of the time. As someone has posted, you go to the park to relax, not be nervous and suspicious of everybody walking near you.

I will be back in the park early next week and will stop at the Sugarlands visitor center to report this. I'll post their response after I talk with them.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I didn't deploy Mr. Kimber fast enough. I'm right handed, gun was on my left. I am going to relocate it on my right and closer at hand.
I either carry my Ruger P90 .45acp or my S&W J Frame 357 mag. Messers Smith & Wesson are quite handy in the self preservation department.

Regarding where to keep Mr. Kimber, one thing I would highly recommend is weak hand pracice. You should be just as comfortable shooting with your left hand as with your right, especially at across the car distances.

Now, if you're doing fine target work of course, you'll most likely be better shooting with your dominant hand and eye (are you also righ eyed?). However, for close up encounters, please take time in the coming months to get to the point where it doesn't matter which hand Mr. Kimber is in.

One of my buddies is a state trooper and he told me that of the self-defense shootings he's known about (very few by the way) they were so close that the firearm was either in contact with the bad guy when the trigger was pulled or the muzzle was inches away from the bad guy.

What I'm getting at is target accuracy isn't as big of a concern as just squeezing off a couple rounds and at those ranges it shouldn't matter which hand the firearm is in.

Also, range time is almost as relaxing as fishing.

Jeff
Old 02-27-2011, 12:02 AM

Jeff, old east tn boy,

Some excellent advice you posted Jeff! But there is a slight bug-a-boo you forgot to mention.

I don't know about Kimbers (sweet guns) or how they eject, but with my 1911A1 US Army .45, shooting left handed, straight on at a target will sometimes get you a hot "smokestack" coming back toward your face, as will a lot of autos, shot left handed.

Firing it "across" your body at a ninety degree angle to the other side of the car with the left hand might be worse. Never had to actually to touch one off. The muzzle of a .45 looks like an oil drum when it's pointed at you and unless someone is "high" they will back off in a hurry, as did one clown that tried to jump in my car at a red light back years ago!

I'm right handed, but back in my younger days I shot better groups at 50 feet with my left hand than with my right. There was that occasionally smoke stack to contend with and it led to a flinching movement after I got the first hot one in the face. Ouch!

But in a emergency situation the possibility of a left hand eject to the face is far outweighed by the benefit of protecting yourself.

My uncle (retired policeman of 37 yrs.) told me that I if I as going to carry a gun, I should eat with it, sleep with it, breathe with it, etc. In other words do everything with it and keep it close at all times, night and day. He said if you do that and always have it with you, you won't be grabbing at thin air when you really need it and get yourself killed. I took his advice!

I have had to draw down on four different occasions in over forty years of carrying. The guy I mentioned earlier, once on a lone mugger, once on a trio of muggers, and once on two drug crazed guys high on dope in a parked car at a gas station, the police thought they were getting ready to rob. Instead they bolted when I drew my weapon, peeled out in their car, and slammed head on into the front of a state police cruiser that was coming into the station, as they were trying to get out. The passsenger (who was a wanted felon) in the front seat of the gold firebird had his hand on a pistol (illegal), but was knocked silly by the impact of his head to the windshield.

I held them at gunpoint while the officer pulled himself out of the cruiser, slightly injured, but expectedly shook up. He called for backup and when they arrived, I gave them my statement and got the **** out of there.

You just never know about these things and if you're still alive to wonder about it, then thank the grace of God and the presence of Mr. Kimber, or Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson, or whoever you choose to be at your side.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 AM

Well....

I suppose the real message we all should take from this account is to PRACTICE SITUATIONAL AWARENESS!

While I loathe traveling through this world suspicious of everyone, everywhere and all the time... the fact is that we all must be at both a state of readiness and awareness of potential threats.

Several years ago I was the victim of a violent crime; my pistol was in my truck but I was on a sidewalk with my family on Halloween. I didn't know that someone was planning to do me harm.... even if I had been armed it would have made no difference as I was rendered unconscious from behind.

Now I try to practice situational awareness as a normal part of my lifestyle. Only you can watch your own back.