Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
but with my 1911A1 US Army .45, shooting left handed, straight on at a target will sometimes get you a hot "smokestack" coming back toward your face, as will a lot of autos, shot left handed.
Yep, been there / done that. Takes a few times to get used to it and get over the flinch. It's one reason why I carry a revolver 90% of the time. I figure if I can't stop whatever is about to happen with 5 rounds, an extra 3 (assuming one in the pipe) with a 45 isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.

It's all about what you're comfortable with. I'm totally comfortable with a DA revolver. I have a great deal of confidence that my revolver is going to go bang not only the first time but the second (3, 4 and 5 if needed) times I pull the trigger.

While it is quite rare with a good firearm and decent ammo, I have still seen a few semi autos stovepipe. In my Ruger P90, I can most likely count on one hand with fingers left over the times it has happened (with well over 10,000 rounds through this gun) but if my life depended on the second shot I wouldn't want that to be the time it happened.

Revolvers actions are a bit more delicate but if well cared for and well set up, in over 35 years being involved in shooting sports, I can't recall any revolver (other than ones with mechanical problems) failing to go bang on the second shot.

Nothing against autos, I own a couple of them but I find myself picking up the DA revolver most of the time.

Let's all just keep up the positive thoughts that none of us will ever have to use one.

Jeff
Old 02-27-2011, 08:48 PM

I usually engage in a lot of thinking/introspection/daydreaming when I'm out walking thru the woods, and I can recall at least a couple of times I've walked up to the wrong vehicle --- after reading how many are packing heat, I'm gonna try to be a little more observant before I open "my" truck door.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:36 PM

The reason I never leave home without Mr. Glock .40

Annie might have gotten to him, but if he was on meth or some other drug it's doubtful that it would have stopped him. Mr. Kimber though. Another story.

Proof that National Parks are not "safe zones" any more than any other place in the world these days. Glad you are ok. I'd report him to the Park Service asap - the life you save may be someone else's. And some questioned why we needed to allow carry in the Park. Well, there you go folks. This is exactly why. If the intruder had been up to no good and had a knife or gun, and our fellow fisherman unarmed the outcome could have been alot different....and despite the cries of "blood in the trails" the only thing that has changed is that responsible gun owners now have the ability to defend themselves in the Park. Well, that and we got a little piece of the 2A Rights back.

PS - I aspire to some day own a Kimber. Nice choice in a sidearm, man. I suggest though that instead of just moving it closer to your right hand, that you actually keep it on your person though if you're legally able to do so and make sure you're trained up in drawing it - in addition to firing it. That way you don't have to reach for it further than your hip when a BG threatens to do you harm.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:15 PM

Hard to say, but I don't think he meant you any harm. If he had, he would have probably shown his hand when he opened the door. Even if I had of been armed I probably would not have shot him unless I had to. My wallet or a car aren't worth a life, or maybe both of our lives. All you pistol packing cowboys that think you are in a Dirty Harry movie need to experience a shoot out or fire fight one time, most of you just have no idea what's it's like to take someone's life. Guy was probably just some dummy on vacation that had a couple too many, or heaven forbid gotten high on something.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:51 PM

Flyman you've taken the unpopular side....but I'm leaning a bit to your side.

Philosophically speaking (as a Christian) I would hate to kill a person. I'm not talking about legality of the issue. Just purely from a spiritual/philosophical view point.

I would hate to walk up to someone on the creek bank just to chat and see them reach for their piece!

to casually discuss killing someone....
Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 PM

No victim of a violent crime ever had the luxury of "rethinking" his attackers intentions. They all say the same thing. They were pretty much totally surprised and mentally overwhelmed by a seemingly innocent situation. And guess what, the bad guy always plans it that way. He knows the odds are in his favor, easy pickin's!

I for one, absolutely and unequivocally, refuse to be a victim of crime because of the soft, squishy thinking of some people, who think they know how the world turns, but don't. Wishful thinking in one hand and a whole lot of nasty in the other hand, which one fills up first? Accepting being a victim is unthinkable! Preparedness is the best first defense there is. It's not just required, it's demanded!

As for being a cowboy, I do not consider taking the responsibility for my own safety and the safety of my family or friends lightly, as has been portrayed by a poorly illustrated, in bad taste comparison with a work of fiction. I have been to the well and it ran deep with the blood of many casualties.

As for someone thinking I am being a cowboy, how nice it is to sit back and ponder all these bulls#@t liberal philosophies, while men of substance are in the trenches daily, risking their lives trying to defend your right to do just that.

I know what it likes to be shot at by someone, as well as an attempted bayoneting, bludgeoning with a rifle butt, and hopefully (by the enemy) left for dead. But it didn't work out that way for him (sorry about that) and he was the one that dropped, many, many, times.

I know how long it takes to recover your hearing when a "claymore" goes off so close to you, to keep from being overrun by blood thirsty savages.

As General George Patton once told his troops, before a big battle, "It's not your duty to die for your country, it's your duty to see that the enemy dies for his country!"

Paraphrasing the general, I say, "It's not your duty as an free American citizen to accept a certain level of danger from crime, it is your duty to see that crime has a level of danger attached to, and directed at it, that will serve as a serious deterrent to the perpetrators, to make them think twice about their intended deeds.

As a Christian, it is my solemn duty and moral obligation to myself and family to appreciate and protect the life (lives) that the Lord has blessed us with. To shirk that obligation, would be a sin I could not forgive myself of. Even if that means a criminal has to die to protect my own safety.

Praise God, my conscience is clear! Praise God I am alive!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 03-01-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old east tn boy View Post
I need to restrain Ms. Annie inside the vehicle some way while we travel. Roaming free in the back is simply not safe for her or passengers. However, had she been restrained she could not have gotten to this guy. What to do?
I'm not interesting in commenting on the gun issue. OETB, get a crate to put in your vehicle. It will likely help keep her safe if your ever in an accident.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 03-01-2011, 10:06 PM

I understand both sides, and I respect each individuals right to choose the course of action they would take in this situation. I respect each and every one of your opinions, but I'd like you to understand that I'm far from liberal, I've been in the trench, I paid my dues as a Hospital Corpsman with the 2nd Marine Division, in the IV Corps region of Vietnam in 1970.

My use of the term cowboy and Dirty Harry was probably a poor choice of words, and I can see how it would be objectionable to some. If anyone found that offensive, please accept my apology. My choices and options may appear weak or indecisive to some, I simply believe me killing someone over a car, or over some small about of money that I might be carrying just not worth it at this point in my life.

Just to be clear, make no mistake that if my life or my family's safety was in question, someone else's family would be doing some slow driving and some sweet singing. I learned a long time ago to never mistake restrain as weakness for fear. BTW, keep your doors locked from the time you get into the vehicle until you exit would be a good deterrent.

Last edited by flyman; 03-01-2011 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: 42
Old 03-01-2011, 11:24 PM

"Dirty" Harry Callahan always gets the bad review. I've even heard police psychologists refer to him as a syndrome. Remember it is a fictional story. If one seriously watches the movies and analyses each fatal shooting Harry is involved in it becomes evident that he is on the right side. He even makes his own case "nothing wrong with shooting as long the right people get shot." This is fiction and for entertainment purposes only. I too have been shot at (and hit too). My bacon has been saved by a handgun before. Still we live in a society that at least partially condones giving the other fellow the "first break". By this I mean we should use great restraint on our trigger fingers. While this may be necessary I can't help but get the feeling (from some of these posts) that shoot first and ask questions later may have been considered. Taking a life is a serious thing and not to be viewed lightly.

Lee
Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I knnow what you are all thinking....Did i shoot 5 times or did I shoot 6...in all actuallity it was more like 14 times!! But its a movie...so do you feel lucky?