Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 AM

Post Aquatic Sampling: Clinch River (2/26/11)

I seined the Clinch Saturday and tried to get a few pictures of the aquatic life.

Air Temp: 50 Deg.
Water Temp: 48 Deg.

• The adult midges were coming off rather large (~#18-20 hook).

• The midge pupa I found were olive midges with lightly orange tufts on each end. They were typical in the size #20-22 hook range.

• As usual; there were plenty of scuds and these guys were averaging around size #12-16 hook range.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-28-2011, 12:26 PM

Good info and nice pictures to boot. Thanks for posting it.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:32 PM

Really great photos. You say the midge pupa were olive? Do they have a brownish tinge to them? I do not mean to bore anyone with these questions, but these midges have been giving me a fit trying to match everywhere I have been fishing. Thanks again for sharing these photos.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 PM

Thumbs up

Great info, nice pictures, and Madison thanks for sharing.
I've never met you but always your post and hope to run into
you on the river someday.

God bless ya, tnh2owader
Old 02-28-2011, 04:41 PM

Nice!
I'd like to see the scud against a rule. In my experience the scuds I'm seeing are #20's if not smaller. I've yet to have a successfull day scud fishing. Woven scuds, orange scuds, pink scuds, pearl scuds, big scuds, little scuds, I've tried 'em all.
On underwater video scuds seem to dart around like crazy and have a low mortality which makes a dead drift (to me) seem improbable. Twenty years ago I could watch large rainbow browse like cattle on bottom vegetation (in the weir pool) literally burrowing for scuds. Not anymore sadly.
Does anyone remember when the weir pool yielded nice fish all day (including a 28" bow caught by a friend)?
The weir pool is on the mend but will probably never see the glory days of at least 15yrs. ago.
On a side note, if you notice your old zebras not producing, try ribbing the fly with a single strand of thread vs. a bright silver or gold wire. Note the absence of a protruding rib on the pupa in Shawn's pic. I know the most successfull s. holston midge pattern (the "stripper") has no wire. I'm currently midgeing with a dirty tan thread body with a single strand of black thread for the rib and a nickle bead. Infinite combinations are possible but this is my "go to" bug. Oddly enough, the fish gobble purple threaded bodies as well.
There, my secrets out.
Thanks for the pics.

4X
Old 02-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trico View Post
You say the midge pupa were olive?
These midges are light olive with orange on each end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx View Post
Nice!
I'd like to see the scud against a rule. In my experience the scuds I'm seeing are #20's if not smaller. I've yet to have a successfull day scud fishing. Woven scuds, orange scuds, pink scuds, pearl scuds, big scuds, little scuds, I've tried 'em all.
Are you thinking of the cress bugs or scuds. The cress bugs are the small-rolly polly looking bugs. The scuds get quite larger. I saw a few the size of a nickel curled up.

Here are more pics.

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-28-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx View Post
Nice!

On a side note, if you notice your old zebras not producing, try ribbing the fly with a single strand of thread vs. a bright silver or gold wire. Note the absence of a protruding rib on the pupa in Shawn's pic. I know the most successfull s. holston midge pattern (the "stripper") has no wire.
4X
4X,

Ahhhh, the stripper midge. Love that little fly, just haven't had the success with it on the Clinch as the SoHo. Also, you comment about the scuds seems to be my experience as well. 15 years ago you could catch fish all year long on Dr. Emert's BH Hare Ball pattern or a #16 scud in gray or orange. Those were also the three most popular colors I was asked to tie back then too, so they were obviously the hot patterns. I can't remember the last time I caught a fish on the Clinch using a scud, and I fish in areas that scuds should have an obvious presence.

I too have been tying/fishing a version of a zebra midge sans wire rib, I have been using midge size clear tubing to rib with. Then I apply about 3 coats of clear fingernail polish, and the tubing gives it a unique segmented look but without the obvious protrusion you get with the wire. I tie these on TMC 2488 hooks size 16 to 22. Also, doing this and tying a small tuft of gray poly or CDC to the head makes a nice little buzzer pattern.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-28-2011, 07:19 PM

Shawn --- thanks for posting the pics ... that's good stuff.

Travis --- the stripper has been a very productive pattern for me and some others on the Clinch as well as the SoHo.

Phil
Old 02-28-2011, 07:31 PM

Shawn- I was seeing scuds. Didn't sample too hard and often though.

Travis- Good idea. I reckon your fly's still skinny enough? I use flexament to get the
sheen and durablility.

2488's rule. I'd like my car tag to say "2488".
2457's miss fish!

I've mentioned this before on this board but it still amazes me the subtle differences in a simple midge pattern's appearance can fool a trout yet all of these flies have a comparatively large metal hook sticking out their arse! (?)

4X aka 2488
Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 PM

Trout obviously see the hook; they want to eat and don't think in negative values.

If it's in the right place at the right time and the color, size, shape, silloutte etc. create enough positive attributes they don't consider the hook.

Some fish might require three "positive indicators" to eat and other perhaps more. Few flies actually look like real bugs... BH midges don't look much like the real bugs... (Thanks Madison) but they do "suggest" a bug with enough positive attributes to entice a trout to feed.

The negative values trout do consider are not so much in the fly but the fly fisher being sloppy; drag, lining, splash and walking about like you are leading a parade.

Everyone has hooked fish by accident.... meaning the trout ate when they should not have taken the fly..... like when a dry is skating across the surface.... sometimes there is no accounting for anything.... but I'm grateful.