Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
.. (Thanks Madison) but they do "suggest" a bug with enough positive attributes to entice a trout to feed.
? - Did I suggest something you were referring to...?

I agree with your post; I do not think you have to use the active (aquatic pattern) to catch fish. It just helps increase your efficiency. Plus; it is fun to tie different patterns.

One of my favorite tiers is Hugh Hartsell. I enjoy looking at his website and examining each of his flies. Each has a moment when it will excel and other moments when it would catch fish regularly. I like his variety and creativity and sometimes simplicity....
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx View Post
Nice!
I'd like to see the scud against a rule. In my experience the scuds I'm seeing are #20's if not smaller. I've yet to have a successfull day scud fishing. Woven scuds, orange scuds, pink scuds, pearl scuds, big scuds, little scuds, I've tried 'em all.
On underwater video scuds seem to dart around like crazy and have a low mortality which makes a dead drift (to me) seem improbable. Twenty years ago I could watch large rainbow browse like cattle on bottom vegetation (in the weir pool) literally burrowing for scuds. Not anymore sadly.
Does anyone remember when the weir pool yielded nice fish all day (including a 28" bow caught by a friend)?
The weir pool is on the mend but will probably never see the glory days of at least 15yrs. ago.
On a side note, if you notice your old zebras not producing, try ribbing the fly with a single strand of thread vs. a bright silver or gold wire. Note the absence of a protruding rib on the pupa in Shawn's pic. I know the most successfull s. holston midge pattern (the "stripper") has no wire. I'm currently midgeing with a dirty tan thread body with a single strand of black thread for the rib and a nickle bead. Infinite combinations are possible but this is my "go to" bug. Oddly enough, the fish gobble purple threaded bodies as well.
There, my secrets out.
Thanks for the pics.

4X
I remember those days. The weir pool drained a whole lot drier back then. Trout would herd up like cattle feeding on those bugs.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:28 PM

Shawn Madison

YES, the actual bugs in your photos... IMO most beadhead midge look totally unlike real midges... the "typical" zebra has a tapered body, is not translucent and the wrong color will still actually catch trout.

I wonder what would happen if I fished a bead head midge that ONLY had a bead attached? Maybe they just like shiny stuff?

When folks don't catch fish it is easy to claim trout are fussy, particular, stubborn or just not hungry.

Personally I try to focus my attention on really big stupid fish that are partially blind.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Check out this video of hatching midges that Highpocket posted a month or so ago. Notice how very bright the head is. I suspect that might be a trigger for trout.
http://www.midcurrent.com/video/clips/cutter_midge.aspx
Old 03-01-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
Check out this video of hatching midges that Highpocket posted a month or so ago. Notice how very bright the head is. I suspect that might be a trigger for trout.
http://www.midcurrent.com/video/clips/cutter_midge.aspx
I agree 100%! This bubble they ascend with looks eerily similar to a bead head to me.

4X
Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Trout obviously see the hook; they want to eat and don't think in negative values.

If it's in the right place at the right time and the color, size, shape, silloutte etc. create enough positive attributes they don't consider the hook.

Some fish might require three "positive indicators" to eat and other perhaps more. Few flies actually look like real bugs... BH midges don't look much like the real bugs... (Thanks Madison) but they do "suggest" a bug with enough positive attributes to entice a trout to feed.

The negative values trout do consider are not so much in the fly but the fly fisher being sloppy; drag, lining, splash and walking about like you are leading a parade.

Everyone has hooked fish by accident.... meaning the trout ate when they should not have taken the fly..... like when a dry is skating across the surface.... sometimes there is no accounting for anything.... but I'm grateful.
Dang, I hope you're right!

4X
Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 PM

I wonder if anybody has tried to tie a pattern with a bead head and a tail dangling from the hook rather than wound onto the hook. The dangling tail would mimic the swimming action of the midge a bit better....a tougher tie but it might be worth looking into.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:20 AM

May I suggest you fellas get a copy of The Underwater World Of Trout. It is very insightful and probably the best trout video I have in my collection.

If you are just trying to catch fish; then that is another story. Most fly fishermen tie the fly for the fly and enjoy playing the game of deception and attraction.
to choose, to respond, to change.”