Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-28-2011, 06:38 PM

Default How to fish midges

How do you guys fish these small midges? I'm going to fish the clinch this coming weekend and I want to become more efficient with these. I have had limited success and would appreciate all knowledge you can give like depth, size, weight or no weight, indicators, where to fish (riffle, run, pool) ect. I have a few zebra midges in size 18 and 20 Thanks guys for your help.

Last edited by rbreedi1; 02-28-2011 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: add
Old 02-28-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreedi1 View Post
How do you guys fish these small midges? I'm going to fish the clinch this coming weekend and I want to become more efficient with these. I have had limited success and would appreciate all knowledge you can give like depth, size, weight or no weight, indicators, where to fish (riffle, run, pool) ect. Thanks guys for your help.
Personally I fish them in tandem with multiple midges. Probably 95% of the time my midge fishing is in slow deep pools. By slow and deep I mean my indicator is usually set at least 4' above the bottom fly, and the current is so slow you can take a break and eat a sandwich before you have to cast again. Ok, so maybe that last analogy was a bit extreme, but you get the point. Midges are most common in the slower moving water, but this also requires lighter tippet. So, I typically use a 9' 5X leader with a 3' 6X fluoro tippet attached to the end. Then any additional flies are dropped about 12" below that fly. Nothing will help more than getting out there and making an obvious attempt at learning how to midge fish. I did this 3 years ago, and I have reaped the benefits from it 10-fold. It is amazing how often the lessons I have learned from those painful days of midge fishing have helped me on all the area tailwaters, and even occasionally in the Smokies.

Hope this helps.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 PM

A lot of people use #18 black w/ red wire gold head or #18 black w/ silver wire silver head. I like to fish them 1.5' - 4' below a dry fly. Use something you can see like a #14 or 16 parachute. Any fly that you can see well will work. I like the faster water around shoals but a lot of guys fish the slower water. There was a post a few days ago by troutslayer3393 where he was fishing slower water and caught some nice fish. If you use yarn as your indicator i would use the smallest piece i could, but thats just me, i don't like using a tennis ball for an indicator.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:51 PM

The midges in the 18 th 20 that you have are the way to go. To catch the large fish I prefer to fish the deeper, slower runs. I usually fish 2 midges about 4-5 feet below an indicator for the deeper water.

For me, the two biggest keys for success on the clinch(or any tailwater)
Is #1-Dont get seen by the fish
#2-Make sure your drifts are drag free

Black/silver, Red/silver, and olive zebra midges have been the best colors for me recently.

Hope you wear em' out
Old 02-28-2011, 07:54 PM

To fish a dropper the easiest knot to secure your bottom fly to the top is:
Substitute your index finger for an imaginary hook eye. Loop your tippet material around your finger and tie a loose version of whatever knot you would normally tie to a hook eye (I prefer the improved clinch knot). Slip this premade knot off your index finger and loop over your hook bend on the upper fly. Wet, cinch slowly, and clip the tag end. I separate my top and bottom fly by 8"-10". I feel a short span tangles less.

I fish a tandem rig nearly everywhere/everytime I fish subsurface. Not only does it give the trout two choices for meals but, (IMO) most importantly, you are adding extra weight that happens to also have a hook in it.
Another thing, slow your cast down if you don't want to get tangled up all day.
As far as best water? Move around! Sometimes they're in the shallows and sometime in the troughs. 50ft. can make the difference in some areas.
Best of luck. When you've got the right bug, rig, and drift, midge fishing is the easiest fishing there is with a fly.
Heck, rent a video, youtube-it, or buy a book and that'll help too.

4X
Old 02-28-2011, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the information guys, it is extremely helpful. I greatly appreciate it. Looking forward to giving these midges another whirl.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM

General rule of thumb (to be modified based on stream speed) is to drop your fly 1.5 times the water depth. I like to use a dry fly as an indicator if I'm fishing the same water depth but since you can't move the dry up or down to change the depth of your midges its sometimes preferable to use an indicator (ball type or yarn).
Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer3393 View Post
For me, the two biggest keys for success on the clinch(or any tailwater)
Is #1-Dont get seen by the fish
#2-Make sure your drifts are drag free
Exactly and well put!

*This one does pretty well too...I just revised this pattern.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-28-2011, 10:35 PM

Good looking pattern there Shawn!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:57 PM

WOW! Shawn......That looks like the real thing. Is that finger nail polish over it? and/or what is the best stuff to use to get that look?