Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-02-2011, 01:55 PM

Default Wading boot reviews

I'm looking for a new non-felt wading boot for a trip out west. For the past 15 years my wading boot has been the Simms guide models of the past. Has anybody had experience good or bad with the Korker boots or Chota's newer non-felt soles. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:09 PM

I love my Korkers with the Boa lacing system. I feel that felt is still the best for traction, but the rubber and studded bottoms are pretty good too. Korkers' interchangeable soles make it easy to switch in seconds.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM

The Simms vibram soles with the new alumabite aluminum studs grip great. I am a huge fan of felt but have been really impressed by the aluminum cleats.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw37909 View Post
The Simms vibram soles with the new alumabite aluminum studs grip great. I am a huge fan of felt but have been really impressed by the aluminum cleats.
tjw...did you finally ditch your old korker cross currents??
After not getting any response from their customer service, I took some heavy duty upholstery thread and stitched mine back together this winter. I've only used them a handful of times since then, but they seem to be holding up ok. We'll see what happens this summer after some long hike-in fishing.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:48 PM

I still have them, but I never wear them (I am a boot hoarder). I found some Simms Freestones Felt and Simms Guide Felt boots half off and got a pair of each. The Guides are still in my truck and have been worn about 3 times. The new Korkers look much better than the old ones I have. The shop I work at just started stocking them, and they appear much more durable now.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 AM

Default My Thoughts on Wading Boots!

Most (Guide Model Boots) I have worn have been a little too rigid and stiff for me to wear frequently. The quality and build is worth about $50 more than your $100 boot; but, not $200-400. I recently purchased some new Simms (Blackfoot w/Vibram Sole) and considered a few key points in purchasing these boots. I usually plan on getting 2 years out of my boots and that is based on 50-75 uses per year.
  • How often you are going to use them?
You could go with a cheaper boot if they are allowed to dry before your next trip
  • Where are you going to use them?
Freestone style boots are more stiff for ankle support and I find them to be more constrictive on my feet I fish mainly in tail waters and I enjoy a boot that has more flexibility and not as much ankle support.
  • Felt bottoms are quickly going away.
So, look for traction options or the ability to add screw lugs. I am not a big fan of the changeable soles. My experience leads me to think it is something else to tear up. There are probably some good boots with this option on the market. I personally have never used them and my main worry is the malfunction of the fastening system. My new Simms Vibram-Blackfoot Soles are a little slicker than my old felt soles on the Clinch River. I will probably experiment with a few traction studs strategically placed.
  • It is best to go too big; then too small (IMO)!
Try them on with two layers of socks if you cannot borrow waders at the shop? I wish Simms made a size 15. They should allow your feet to breath and they should never be too tight. Your feet will swell and this will make your feet feel colder-faster and increase your chances of stumbling and slipping.
  • Stay away from the boot hook style shoe-lacing...
Snag city for your fly line and other things. I am not a big fan of the BOA - wire constriction systems. I wore that about 6-7 years ago when I wakeboarded every day in my wakeboard boots and they eventually broke or the wires eventually got a bend in them that interfered with the ratcheting device.
*Whatever you purchase; make sure you allow them to dry/air-out after each trip. Bring them inside during cold nights. Leaving them out to freeze will destroy them!

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 03-05-2011 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: formatting
Old 03-05-2011, 10:41 AM

I have an older pair of Korker's with studded cling-on soles. I wear these soles while on the Clinch and SoHo, and have never felt such stable footing while wading. I have recommended these soles to many people before. The studded version works great on the Didymo infested tailwaters in the area, but think I would stay away from studs in the mountains. Don't have any experience using rubber soles in the mountains, but that is something I have been thinking about upgrading to.

By the way, Korker's has changed their shoe and sole design from what I have, and wish I had waited until this new design was released. It is a much more secure connection from the boot to the sole.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-05-2011, 01:16 PM

I like a boot with a flexible instep too. Sure miss Danner River Grippers. anyone know a comparable boot now in production?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the information guys.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
I have an older pair of Korker's with studded cling-on soles. I wear these soles while on the Clinch and SoHo, and have never felt such stable footing while wading. I have recommended these soles to many people before. The studded version works great on the Didymo infested tailwaters in the area, but think I would stay away from studs in the mountains. Don't have any experience using rubber soles in the mountains, but that is something I have been thinking about upgrading to.

By the way, Korker's has changed their shoe and sole design from what I have, and wish I had waited until this new design was released. It is a much more secure connection from the boot to the sole.

Travis,

I got a new pair of the Redside Korkers boots last week. They have the kling-on soles (no studs) and the felts. I have to get them a try this coming weekend in The Park. I'll let you know how they feel, etc. My first kling-on trial, I have the older Wetland and Outfiitter boots with the regular felt and studded felt. The kling-on soles on these new boots feel very sticky walking on my artificial wood floor, I am going to try them in the Smokies and see how they do.

Neal

Last edited by pineman19; 03-07-2011 at 01:49 PM..