Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 PM

Default Ghost nets

Which model do you guys recommend? I've been checking them out online and saw several models on their site. Also looking for a recommendation on a magnetic attachment for my vest.

Last edited by rbreedi1; 03-03-2011 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: add
Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 PM

Kind of depends on where and what kind of fishing you typically do. I have a Cutthroat Float Tube ghost net, and absolutely love it. However, it is my tailwater net is not suitable for use in the mountains.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 PM

Well, I got sick and tired of picking small midge hooks out of the mesh net I had...... and droppers were the worst. So I picked up one of the Bodin's at LRO, problem solved.

Put a "Tight Line" magnetic release on it, the large black one that has the grooves around the edge, and it has worked well for me. I tried to keep the "linkage" that attaches the magnet to the net as short as possible, just one key ring.

Down falls 1) When in a hurry and busting through Rhodo, a snagged bag will come off. Had to back track a few times when I noticed the weight was missing..... lol

2) Darn thing is always pulling my lanyard up around my neck.... hate that. Small piece of string from wading belt to lanyard fixed the problem though.

I'm thinking that mine is the "Gallatin", has more of an oval shape to it, price of the bag is worth not fighting hooks in my opinion. Anymore, I only carry it on the tailwaters or if there is a chance for larger fish, it stays in the truck when on smaller waters.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the info guys.. I'm mainly looking to have it for use on tailwaters. Knik, hooks snagging my mesh net now is a reason I'm looking into these ghost nets. It can be a pain in the rear!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 AM

I like mine The nets are light weight, and the rubber bags are great if you fish droppers. I use the Frying Pan model, I like the more traditional rounded hoop, and the size of the net. The standard size and shape of one like the Madison is fine for smaller fish, but if you are catching 20"+ fish (large fish will flop out of the smaller and shallow net bag) on the tail waters I would step up to the the Tailwater model, or one of the larger hoop ones like the Frying Pan. Brodin's site kinda guides you through you choice.

There are several good magnetic gadgets out there to attach the net, I'm not sold on any one more than the other. I just want to be able to grab the net with one hand and release it.

Last edited by flyman; 03-04-2011 at 01:09 AM.. Reason: 42
Old 03-04-2011, 10:01 AM

I love the ghost nets. They are great for fly fishing and allow for quick catch and release. Plus; no net snags by your flies.

I usually do not carry a ghost net when I am in my boat and with others; I had one get broken and it hurt. So; I just use a cheap net so that I do not have to worry about it.

The magnet connection is great. I changed my set up so that the tip of the net has a magnet lashed to it with a zip tie and the handle hangs down. Most people use this setup. however; I attached the handle rope to a carabiner that clips on to my left-side strap of my chest pack. I find that this helps give me more range of motion with the net and it does not conflict with my line management.

If you are hiking with a net; you should think about wrapping it in a bag or wearing it under your vest will hiking in to your spot.

SM
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 03-04-2011 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 PM

I forget which model I have. It's more "squared" off looking. I bought it from LRO a couple years back. Daniel or one of the guys may be able to look up the history on their computer and see which one I bought from them. (if permission is needed, you guys have it).

All I know is it's perfect for hooking on the back of my vest with a magnetic holder. It's not too heavy and has been with me all over the country fishing. I think it's the perfect net.

Jeff