Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:17 PM

Default All the hatcheries closing?

I read on a low quality forum that all the hatcheries in the general Tennessee area may be closing. True?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:45 PM

The only one I have heard that they were considering closing was the Erwin national fish hatchery. Again this is what I heard..take it for what its worth.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 AM

Actually, there are nine that could be closed. As many as six in the region I think I heard.

See related threads.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=14865
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=14884

As I understand it, this could be nothing more than a leveraging ploy having to do with intra-govenment agency reimbursement matters, such agencies being U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, U.S Army Corps of Engineers, TVA, etc.

Erwin National Fish Hatchery Manager John Robinette was quoted by Brad Hicks in a February 22nd Johnson City (TN) Press.com article saying...

“It’s not the fact that they (USF&W) don’t have the money, it’s just their choice of how they want to spend it.”

Mr. Robinette went on to say,

“For several decades the service has been working to recover costs from responsible agencies to mitigate the adverse effects of federal water development projects while focusing on native fish recovery and restoration,” the USF&W’s proposed budget justification states. “If full reimbursement is not obtained from responsible agencies in 2012, Fisheries Program activities could be eliminated or substantially reduced at nine facilities until reimbursement is negotiated.”

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-07-2011 at 12:48 PM..
Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 AM

Sportsmen in our country pay their fair share in Federal excise taxes on everything related to fishing or hunting... no other outdoor sports are taxed like these two sports.

This money is "supposed" to support all kinds of worthy endeavors from fish stocking to habitat improvement to boat launches.

In fact a percentage of gasoline is actually figured into the equation as it is used in boats.

This tax is built into the price of everything you buy for fishing; sales tax is added on top.

Personally I think our government is horribly bloated with wasteful spending on all kinds of things BUT WE ARE ALREADY TAXED SPECIFICALLY ON FISHING & HUNTING GEAR WITH FUNDS RECEIVED DESIGNATED FOR RETURN TO THE FISHING & HUNTING COMMUNITY.

Everyone should be totally pissed off about this situation; while hatchery fish are not free YOU pay for them.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Not to mention the trout stamp in addition to the fishing license. Of course you do not need a trout stamp to fish in the Smoky's. Makes you wonder if trout stamp sales will decline if stockings in tailwaters, etc are reduced.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 AM

The trout stamp doesn't figure into the federal hatcheries but does contribute to the state hatcheries, which are supplied by the federal hatcheries. Obviously, if tailwaters are not stocked, people will fish elsewhere. There would be some holdovers as on the Hiwassee but they will be few and far between.
As the chair for the Tennessee Council of Trout Unlimited, I have urged all TU chapters and members to contact their senators and representatives about this situation. I already have. I urge everyone who fishes for trout to do the same. If we squeak enough, we will get the grease.
I collect an excise tax on every rod that I build, whether I sell it or give it away.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Knothead

If this is a federal budgetary issue then wouldn't this same "threat" potential exist in other States? Perhaps NATIONAL TU should get involved (even though they are largely gutless IMO)?

Yes; I'm a life member
Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Other states are impacted. Arkansas and I believe Georgia. There may be others.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:23 PM

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/sav...sh-Hactheries/
Old 03-07-2011, 03:13 PM

Not wanting to stir up any political debate here, but just trying to get all my facts straight in my letter to congress. Do we know which side of the aisle this proposal for the budget cuts came from? I can't find anywhere which side supported this cut.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Closed Thread