Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:29 PM

Corbo, TU National is aware of the situation. Since this is a federal issue, it will affect trout fisheries all over the country plus Indian reservations who receive fish from the federal hatcheries.
Doesn't matter whit side of the aisle this came from, the need if for everyone to contact their senators and representatives to keep the funding for the hatcheries.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Doesn't matter whit side of the aisle this came from, the need if for everyone to contact their senators and representatives to keep the funding for the hatcheries.
I understand that, but I am trying to see if I can tell if this was being pushed by liberals who could care less about sportsmen and their rights, or if by conservatives trying to shave every ounce out of Obama's budget. I have already drafted up my letter to my congressman, but these letters get noticed more if you word them correctly. That is what I am trying to get a feeling for here. If I go in just ranting and raving to a conservative congressman about this stupid budget cut, and in turn discover that it was supported by the conservatives in an effort to cut government spending it will get less attention than if I wordsmith it toward my target audience. Trust me, I have quite a bit of experience preparing documents to be reviewed by persons in authority and in government, and the wording one uses in such documents can decide whether it gets thrown in the garbage or pinned to the wall as encouragement.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/
Old 03-07-2011, 06:32 PM

TU take action site
http://takeaction.tu.org/c.ntJSJ8MPI...x?auid=7820206
Old 03-07-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyben View Post
Can you point out the part in that letter that specifically involves the funding of hatcheries?

I have a very bad feeling TU national is going to come out against the hatchery programs.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Why would TU National come out against hatcheries?
Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old east tn boy View Post
Why would TU National come out against hatcheries?
Hatcheries to TU promote: non-native species, disease propagation, unfit fish, habitat degradation, and genetic degradation of subspecies by promotion of specific sub species. Those all could be options......
Old 03-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Not wanting to stir up any political debate here, but just trying to get all my facts straight in my letter to congress. Do we know which side of the aisle this proposal for the budget cuts came from? I can't find anywhere which side supported this cut.
Travis, at this stage I think we would do well assuming this is an initiative of the bureaucracy within USF&WS and perhaps peripheral government agencies. It is being said that it’s not that USF&WS doesn’t have the money to keep the hatcheries open, it’s just their choice of how they want to spend their money. For several decades the service has been working to recover costs from responsible agencies to mitigate the adverse effects of federal water development projects while focusing on native fish recovery and restoration. The USF&W’s proposed budget justification states “If full reimbursement is not obtained from responsible agencies in 2012, Fisheries Program activities could be eliminated or substantially reduced at nine facilities until reimbursement is negotiated.”

If we do our job of contacting them, I'm guessing there will be pressure from both "sides of the aisle" to get the USF&WS's house in order and not at the expense of those whose enjoyment and .... more importantly... whose livelihood is at stake.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-07-2011 at 09:22 PM..
Old 03-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Travis, at this stage I think we would do well assuming this is an initiative of the bureaucracy within USF&WS and perhaps peripheral government agencies. It is being said that its not that USF&WS doesnt have the money to keep the hatcheries open, its just their choice of how they want to spend their money. For several decades the service has been working to recover costs from responsible agencies to mitigate the adverse effects of federal water development projects while focusing on native fish recovery and restoration. The USF&Ws proposed budget justification states If full reimbursement is not obtained from responsible agencies in 2012, Fisheries Program activities could be eliminated or substantially reduced at nine facilities until reimbursement is negotiated.

If we do our job of contacting them, I'm guessing there will be pressure from both "sides of the aisle" to get the USF&WS's house in order and not at the expense of those whose enjoyment and .... more importantly... whose livelihood is at stake.

JF
Thanks JoeFred.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/
Old 03-08-2011, 09:49 AM

JoeFred, well put!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:24 AM

Correction: HOW THEY SPEND OUR MONEY!

Simple fact is "they" will protect "their" budget so long as they protect their job.
Closed Thread