Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Correction: HOW THEY SPEND OUR MONEY!
Agreed.

JF
Old 03-09-2011, 01:26 PM

The petition noted on the South East Fly Fishing forum addresses the hatchery closings.

Make sure to sign the Petition
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/sav...sh-Hactheries/
Old 03-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Don't mean to rant or hijack this thread, as I am only trying to "prove a point". In Indiana our so called conservative governor has "privatized" or out sourced darn near everything we have in the way of state property to some private entity. For example, the Australians now own our Indiana Toll Road.

In the past few years he had the DNR tear down our shooting range at Camp Atterbury/Johnson County Park and build a twenty million dollar state of the art shooting facility. He then outsourced it to a private company, to run. Mind you, the land was purchased with federal and state taxes on sporting equipment, ammunition, and hunting/fishing licenses. (Pittman-Robinson Fund)

At first it wasn't all that expensive to shoot. One dollar to get in and a dollar an hour to shoot. Gradually over a one year period of time the prices went to $9.00 an hour + $5.00 to get in to shoot, to pay the "pro" range master and other expenses. In less than a year and a half the place closed, because the private company went belly up. Now the range is only opened on weekends, manned by DNR personnel, and the price is still high. It was completely closed for a while.

I feel our money, our range, and our freedom to shoot at a safe place was hijacked by the politicians. I have sought legal counsel trying to get a class action law suit against the state, but I can't get enough people interested to accomplish that. They just seem to say "Oh, well." and accept it.

Also, he just gave 1500 acres of our hunting land back to the military for an expansion of office and supply buildings in trade for some land three counties away, which most of the hunters in my area won't ever go to because of the time and distance, not to mention expensive gas to get there.

My case in point is, all the politicians (both sides) see is dollar signs, and forget about sportsmen's rights in hopes that they will too. They will do the same things across our country to anything sportsman related to justify their lust for money and power.

Our governor was "W's" financial adviser in his first term as President. He is now going to run for President in 2012. Don't be deceived! The man also was on the executive board of Indiana Power and Light company and totally wiped out the employee's pension fund. Many people lost everything they had saved over their working careers.

As sportsmen and sportswomen, we need to bring **** to bear for any attempt to steal our dedicated tax dollars and cheat us out of what we have paid for.

Please write your representatives and denounce this (USF&W) with holding of our money for its intended purpose. They don't have the right to do it and it's probably outside the "spirit of the law" in their mission statement.

And I wouldn't trust TU any farther than I could throw the State of Massachusetts!

Just my opinion!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather

Last edited by whitefeather; 03-10-2011 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: spl
Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefeather View Post
Don't mean to rant or hijack this thread, as I am only trying to "prove a point"....
Whitefeather, a neat way to relate such important, but somewhat peripheral, issues to us is to create a new thread and link to it from the other.

Just my opinion.

JF
Old 03-11-2011, 09:50 AM

I must say I am interested to see how this turns out. From the information provided in this thread it appears that the federal government has made a paradigm shift in it's approach to inland fisheries now along with its change in approach to saltwater fisheries.

Whitefeather, I'm not sure I see your point as this is not an approach of privatization but appears to be no support with existing funds. Interesting you should bring up the privatization as recreational angler in saltwater around the country are being excluded from fisheries access while ownership of the fish is being privatized and given to commercial anglers.

Overall it looks like the federal leadership at the executive level is looking to diminish all recreational angling be it fresh or saltwater.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:21 PM

Obama doesn't fish.... well except the one time he was taken fly fishing while on the campaign trail.

When it comes to fishing the ONLY thing the President worries about is his wife's need to consume Maine Lobster everyday; he is in the pocket of the far left enviro-nut bags AND THIS INCLUDES TROUT UNLIMITED.

CORBO FACTOID: Most of our coldwater fisheries cannot be "restored" but they can be sustained with non-native trout to support quality fisheries and LOCAL COMMERCE!

Yes I am unfortunately a lifetime member and anyone who needs help throwing Massachusets OR Arlington VA in the ocean can call me for help. LOl
Old 03-11-2011, 01:25 PM

I am rather used to many TU defenders jumping onto a post anytime even a perceived slight is leveled at TU. Is the lack of action due to ignorance of the existence of these posts or because the accusations against TU are accurate?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Please do not turn this thread into an argument. I mean it.

Also, all caps is considered shouting. It's against site rules. Please don't do it. "Baiting" is against the site rules too. Please don't do it either.

Paula
Old 03-11-2011, 01:35 PM

Gutshot,

I'm not against privatization per se, however there is a dark side to it where the "private side" is reserved for a select few, depending on who's in power.

They are doing this with a little bit of difference in strategies in different places.

DNR in our state has created a "land trust" from which they partner with certain private organizations. They post previous public land (water sheds) as being "endangered species" habitat (which they are not) and fence it off with out notice.

The DNR's law enforcement officers enforce the public laws for the benefit of the "private organizations" which I beleive is a huge conflict of interest. Land owners are losing their rights to their own land use because they are not complying with the whims of the "privates".

You have pointed out some worryingsom trends in this direction with your mention of salt water fishing.

Once again a "good sounding" idea takes on the undercurrents of the same old greed for power and bounty scheme.

I believe there has been, for a long time, a "silent movement" to eventually ban all sport fishing in the country, as well as hunting. This is just one of those dangerous precursers (IMO) of that movement.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:57 PM

I am not against the local chapters of TU in any way. They do good work and put in a lot of their time and effort for the benefit of all. I'd like to help them!

I am however in contention with some policies and the overall arrogant attitude of TU national. I would gladly donate the money I have given to TU national to a local chapter that is doing some good, like the LR chapter. I don't really feel the need to whip out a membership card to prove I love trout fishing. And I would sleep better knowing my money was going for the purpose it was intended.

While the situation in my state differs from others around the country, it seems to me like a very widespread trend ending at the door of shutting down or crippling the fisheries we have in the smokies, the blue ridge, and the coastal waters. The more eyes and ears we have, standing with vigilance, the better organized we can be to stop these trends.

Corbo,

I think it will take more than the two of us! LOL!