Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-07-2011, 07:01 PM

Default Elk River Info

I have never been to the elk before but since it is now the closest tailwater for trout since moving, I'm going to start visiting this area. I have looked up access areas and seems the best areas are farris creek and hwy 50. How do these areas fish and does the elk have any good hatches? Anyone have any other areas to check out? Also I haven't laid eyes on this tailwater but what are safe wading conditions as far as flow from TVA? Sorry about all the questions, just trying to get a feel for the place before I get up there. Thanks, I appreciate any info.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:32 AM

I've only been a few times. Flows above 500 I would consider sketchy as it's narrow but I could be wrong. They do not follow the generation schedule nearly as accurately as the Caney so be prepared for heavy generation when they shouldn't be on occasion. I've never done very well on the Elk so I don't know where the best fishing is. Every time I've been I've seen pale dunn flies hatching. I would try small streamers too, maybe even some pheasant tail nymphs or hares ear and pull them like streamers. If you go below the dam, walk about a 1/4 mile down river and then fish back toward the dam with dries, then I would tie on my small streamers and start pulling them slowly against and across current. These are just ideas I have developed from fishing there and may or may not be good ideas. I haven't had a lot of attention on dries there. I have been told to rig a midge so that it floats in the film as a dropper. I have been wanting to try a midge without a bead head to see if it was more effective but haven't been down there in a while. I hope this helps.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the helpful info, looking forward to trying this place out.

Last edited by rbreedi1; 03-08-2011 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: add
Old 03-08-2011, 01:57 PM

the elk for me and my buddies has always been hit or miss.... the flies that were succsesful for us were... pheasent tails ,soft hackles, midges ,and a small fly we tie that is half soft hackle and and half streamer,size's would be 14 - 18 with a bead head.... a little succsess on small dries size 16 probably an attractor pattern in black, brown or a parachute adams i say black as i had some succsess on an ant pattern...fish below the dam starting at the bridge or further down river as blue raider suggested or even further down river as blue raider suggested ... hope this helps you a bit
dan
Old 03-08-2011, 02:07 PM

Hey Rbreedi1: E-mail me sometime and we'll go or i'll push you in the right direction. It's where I fish most of the time.

steve.w.miller@us.army.mil
Old 03-08-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
Hey Rbreedi1: E-mail me sometime and we'll go or i'll push you in the right direction. It's where I fish most of the time.

steve.w.miller@us.army.mil

Yes, for sure call Steve. A very good source and stop by Tim's Flies and Lies on the square to get some fly recommendations etc.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the info guys.. highpockets, I'll shoot you an email.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:40 PM

Stopped by the Elk today and met a young man that had never fly fished before...report on my blog:

http://tennesseeflyfishing.blogspot....chburg-tn.html
Old 03-13-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Stopped by the Elk today and met a young man that had never fly fished before...report on my blog:

http://tennesseeflyfishing.blogspot....chburg-tn.html
Thanks for the report, I'm going to try to make a trip over there next weekend and give it a try.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:08 PM

rbreed1,

Thanks, if you read my blog before I ammended it you may not have gotten all of the info. Bring tiny flies...maybe some size 18-20 pmds or stop by Tim's and ask about recommended flies. Whatever you bring, make sure it's small and you use lots of leader and tippet. Be very cautious...these trout are more spooky than trout in the Smokies!

Dwayne