Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-13-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
rbreed1,

Thanks, if you read my blog before I ammended it you may not have gotten all of the info. Bring tiny flies...maybe some size 18-20 pmds or stop by Tim's and ask about recommended flies. Whatever you bring, make sure it's small and you use lots of leader and tippet. Be very cautious...these trout are more spooky than trout in the Smokies!

Dwayne
Sounds like I may have my work cut out! Hey, I'm fine as long as I can wet a line.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:30 PM

Default Elk River Info

Hey Guys, we were on the Elk yesterday and had a good day. We skipped the first section and started around the Bend Pool. Wading is good with a 250 CFS release or less. This is a fast flowing river on one generator and an angler could get in some real trouble when they are releasing water. Otherwise it is a pretty easy wade.

There are a lot of midge hatches up around the dam access especially later in the day. Also look for some big cream mayfly hatches down by Farris Creek in the late afternoon. The river really fishes best when the water is at it's clearest, but some fish can be caught when it is off color.

The bottom is mostly gravel with some areas of large flat stone. The stone is white in color and super slick. When I say slick I mean "float your hat slick". There are a few areas of the Elk that offer some challenges. Don't be afraid to walk to get into the fish, but if time is limited you can also catch fish without getting your feet wet.

The usual nymphs and soft hackles will usually do the trick. Dropper rigs will work but are not a must have. The crowds can get a little thick, but the majority of the people are friendly and courteous.

David Perry
Southeastern Fly
Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbreedi1 View Post
Sounds like I may have my work cut out! Hey, I'm fine as long as I can wet a line.

So, how did ya do?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:03 PM

Im on business in Oklahoma but will be flying back in Friday night and plan on going this Saturday if everything lines up! I'll be sure to share how it goes.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:03 PM

Well I got a chance to fish the Elk this evening from about 3-7 pm. Started out at the ferris creek area and got a big goose egg so I decided to head up around the dam and finish the evening. Ended up catching 5 nice rainbows up there. Wasn't a whole lot of surface activity but noticed a few flies coming off in kind of a cream color. Everyone I talked to complained about how slow the fishing was so I felt good about the ones I caught. I caught one on a woolly bugger and four on a soft hackle. Looking forward to trying again here soon.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:51 AM

I hate you You did much better than I ever do on the Elk! Did you strip on the swing or at the end to catch them or both?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
I hate you You did much better than I ever do on the Elk! Did you strip on the swing or at the end to catch them or both?
I thought for sure I was going to be skunked they way the day started out. I also saw a group of otters. As far as technique, I tried both and caught a couple each way.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:01 PM

Yeah, I think it's just me. I've tried swinging soft hackles, using dries, dries with droppers but haven't ever had any luck on the Elk. I'll keep going though. Beautiful river and a great change of pace from the Caney.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:06 PM

Hey guys, keep on drowning those nymphs, the fish are there and they are hungry. Concentrate on a good drift and the fish have been responding well.
David Perry
Southeastern Fly
Old 03-21-2011, 10:22 AM

Ah, thanks for the tip.