Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

View Poll Results: When are you coming
Week of March 13th 1 4.17%
Week of March 20th 7 29.17%
Week of March 27th 2 8.33%
Week of April 3rd 2 8.33%
Other 10 41.67%
Not able to come this year 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 AM

Default GSMNP Spring Break Plans

Just curious to see how many people plan to come to the park during their spring break and when those dates are? I am trying to do some planning for future trips to the park.

If there is a particular week in the park that looks to be busy I will just not plan on coming for two reasons: 1) I don't really like to hike 4 miles to fish just to find footprints all over the rocks 2) I don't like to be the local guy who comes up there and gets in the way of other fisherman who are here for their one week a year Smokies fishing trip.

I do enjoy meeting new people on the water, and I usually learn something new in the process. So, if anybody is going to be in town and needing a fishing companion, I may be able to meet up if my schedule agrees. I am not antisocial or anything like that, just basically summed up my reasons for not going during a busy Spring Break time period. Completely different from the summer, where I basically try to stay away from the droves of people who think it is funny to throw rocks in the water while you are fishing.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 03-09-2011 at 11:13 AM..
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 AM

I am not a big fan of going when it is going to be crowded either, it just so happens that I have a 16yo daughter that loves to fly fish, and she has her spring break then. I guess beggars cannot be choosers so I will go and hope it is not too crowded.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 AM

I answered "other"..

I was in the park last weekend and just about swam down after all the rain Saturday night, and snow Sunday morning.

I am heading down again 4/6-4/10 and 4/27-5/1.

Just keep in mind, some of us tourists really enjoy talking to the locals and getting pointers from them. I might not be representative of all the visitors, but wouldn't ever consider a local in my way at all. I met a really nice guy from Maryville last weekend and had a great time talking with him.

-Matt-
Old 03-09-2011, 07:38 PM

I am so bummed out. My son and I had planned to come to the Smoky's the week of April 11.

Unfortunately, my wife has to have surgery on April 8 which means we won't be coming.

However, even though we won't be able to come to the mountains for our annual spring break trip, the news isn't all bad. My wife had a biopsy last week and the results came back to indicate she does NOT have cancer.

I'd trade a fishing trip for that kind of news any day of the week.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 PM

Jeff,

My deepest heartfelt joy on the good news concerning your wife's condition. Your wife, yourself and your son will be in my prayers tonight for her speedy recovery from surgery and a post holiday fishing trip you can all enjoy without worry!

By the way Jeff, I've always meant to ask you, are you in training on the guitar or the fly fishing? I have done both for over 50 years and still consider myself in training on both.

You never stop learning if the soul is willing!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefeather View Post
Jeff,

My deepest heartfelt joy on the good news concerning your wife's condition. Your wife, yourself and your son will be in my prayers tonight for her speedy recovery from surgery and a post holiday fishing trip you can all enjoy without worry!

By the way Jeff, I've always meant to ask you, are you in training on the guitar or the fly fishing? I have done both for over 50 years and still consider myself in training on both.

You never stop learning if the soul is willing!
Whitefeather,
first, thanks for the prayers. We're VERY happy and it's great to have the prayers coming in. I believe the Lord listens to prayers and has a soft spot in His heart for fishermen (He knows what a mess we all are).

As for training, well, both. I've been playing guitar for about 30 years and learn something new every day (and usually forget it the next day). I play in church now. I don't play in any other bands any more, no time and no real desire. I'm perfectly content now to just sit out in my back yard on a summer evening and play some bluegrass to the beat of the crickets chirping.

As for fly fishing, aren't we all in training?

Now that we know Leslie (My beautiful wife of 28 years) is going to be OK, the biggest goal I have is to retire sometime in the next 3 or 4 years and be a full time guitar playing, muzzle loader shooting fishing bum.

Jeff
Old 03-10-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
I'm perfectly content now to just sit out in my back yard on a summer evening and play some bluegrass to the beat of the crickets chirping.
Jeff,

Been there, done that a time or two. Bill Monroe's Festival grounds in just about a mile from my house, across the ridge and down the holler.

I met Mr. Monroe years ago. He was a good friend of a good friend of mine. I walked into a little restaurant in Bean Blossom to meet my friend, Carl Brummet. He was at a table with this big fella who had his back to me as I came in. Carl introduced us as the big fella stood up to shake my hand.

None other than Mr. Bill Monroe. He asked me to please stay and have some supper with him. I did. Then he asked me to come over for the show and he gave me a guest pass. I got to sit in the front row. During the show he motioned for me to come up on stage and do some "free pickin" with him and the boys. I never had so much in fun in all my life. I never will forget it.

Carl's gone now and so is Bill, but everytime I pass that little building where the restaurant was I have the memory of that day. Two fine gentlemen moved on to the Lord's glory in heaven. Some day I'll join them.

But I've got some more fishin' to do first and maybe a couple more tunes!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 03-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Jeff,

So happy your wife had good news! Your family can enjoy the next fishing trip without worries.

I hoped to come down last week but too much rain; then this week too much rain and snow! Next week, probably rain, snow and sleet.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 PM

Forget the mountains and fishing, I'm going to some beach in FL with all the girls I've got my speedo and my suntan lotion packed
Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 PM

Jeff - all the best to your wife.

Flyman - I'm sure we will be able to view your adventures during MTV's Spring Break coverage.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com