Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

View Poll Results: When are you coming
Week of March 13th 1 4.17%
Week of March 20th 7 29.17%
Week of March 27th 2 8.33%
Week of April 3rd 2 8.33%
Other 10 41.67%
Not able to come this year 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
Forget the mountains and fishing, I'm going to some beach in FL with all the girls I've got my speedo and my suntan lotion packed

Brazilian bikini wax?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:50 PM

Jeff,

Good news about your wife. I pray she has a speedy recovery, and maybe you can have an early summer Smokies trip instead.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 PM

Everyone, thanks for the prayers and well wishes for my wife. It sure was good news and well worth the fishing trip.

Whitefeather, great story about meeting Mr. Monroe. I never got to see him perform. I have stacks of his CD's and about 1/3 of the music on my iPod is his.

After about 5 years of playing guitar, I gave it up for a couple years. Job and family got in the way and there was that day when I realized no matter how much I practiced and how long I played, I'd never be Lester Flatt.

A few years later, with wisdom one only gets from age, I picked the guitar up again. My son saw it in the closet and asked if I could play some Christmas songs. I was really rusty (as were my strings) but I realized that it isn't about being famous or playing like one of the greats. It's about playing for enjoyment.

I've don the bar's thing and band thing. Now, the only band I play in is in church every Sunday morning. I play acoustic, bass, or one of my Strats depending on the song set and how we all feel that particular morning. I'm no great picker but the Lord only asks that we do our best and that we do it for Him.

There have been a few nights over the past 30 years where one of those old guitars helped me make it through. Something incredibly peaceful about making music.

(only wish I could sing... and so does my family...)

Jeff
Old 03-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Jeff,

A lot of sleepless nights around 3:00AM, I'd get up and grab the old guitar and start playing, my mind clear of all the previous days worries. Seems like I learned more then than any other time.

Then one day I had a "strange" accident. A really painfull one. I was putting in steel fence posts, leaned one up against the tailgate of my truck, and bent over to tie my boot laces, removing my gloves to be able to do it. I looked up just in time to see the fence post falling right towards my face and I deflected it with my right hand.

I severed all four fingers on my right hand to the bone on a sharp flange on the fence post. Severed the nerves in all the fingers at the first knuckle. Took seven years to get the nerves healed and the feeling back in my fingers tips. I didn't play for any of that time one single lick.

Then one day I bought a classical guitar from a friend of mine and I made up my mind, with the Lord's help, I was going to play again. After 4 years of constant practice, 3 to 6 hours a day after I retired, I finally got all the feelings back in my fingers. Doctor said it was the best therapy I could have had.

I tried everything, I went to every website I could find to learn how to finger pick, Flamenco style. I met Steve Paul (Esteban) and he showed me some things and encouraged me a lot.

What I learned is that the mountain has to be climbed one step at a time and your have to teach yourself to teach your fingers, one movement at a time. I'll never be as good as I want to be, but I'll keep pushing till I can push no more. After all, the audience I play for now is the Lord and I commit myself to doing my very best for the talent he loaned me so long ago.

I feel the same way about fly fishing. It is an art form in its grace and tranquility and brings me a great deal of peace and satisfaction, being in nature and one with the fishes. And every once in a while a meal or two! LOL!

Jeff, I hope to meet you some day, soon. Then maybe we can pick a little guitar and fish a little flyline.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 03-13-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Jeff, I hope to meet you some day, soon. Then maybe we can pick a little guitar and fish a little flyline.
Whitefeather, that would be most welcome.

Jeff
Old 03-13-2011, 11:13 AM

My son and I will be down for our annual trip April 10-14.

Chris
Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM

I can't believe it but I'll be headed down next week (March 20-26(?))! I've been checking the weather daily and reading the fishing report.
I'm usually haunting the Townsend area but I'm staying in Sevierville.

I am a sort of social outdoorsman (that's why I'd rather duck than deer hunt). I often walk up to someone fishing or hunting and chat a bit. I can usually gauge from their demeanor if I should move on or chat a bit more.

So if any of ya'll are going to be around I'd gladly like to put a face to a screen name!
jeremy.ross@hotmail.com

What's the fishing forecast look like for next week?