Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-09-2011, 01:35 PM

Default Planning a float.

Looking for some input from you fellas.

Next week (probably after Wed.) I will be free for a couple days and would like to get out and do some fishing on either Thurs. or Fri. I know with all the rain we have had TVA is pushing some water downriver these days so I was wondering where everyone thought would be the best bet to fish.

I was planning on bringing the canoe along and floating either the whole time or stopping and wading at certain points if the water levels will allow. But wherever it is I would like to float so I need a river with at least two good access points for a decent length float trip.

I wouldn't be opposed to going to a lake and fishing for bluegills or other warmwater fish either. Just want to get out while I have a chance next week.

So what are the ideas as to where to go to take a good float.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:30 PM

I am pretty sure Clinch will be out of the question for at least a week looking at the current lake levels. Unless you like floating with 2 generators racing you downstream. I would probably tell you to give the Holston or Hiwassee a shot. Looking back on my fishing logs for the past 6 years I see the following relatively consistent entries:

• I have had some fantastic days on the Hiwassee this time of year fishing Hare's Ear Nymphs, small BHPT's, Tellicos, zugbug's, and BWO's
  • Holston has also been a strong producer this time of year at Nance's Ferry using zebra midges, #18 BHPT, and olive streamers
Hope this helps some.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 AM

Clinch is going to be spilling through next week and maybe longer. I wouldn't even know where to begin to try and find a place to have a good float right now.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Clinch is going to be spilling through next week and maybe longer. I wouldn't even know where to begin to try and find a place to have a good float right now.
Agreed! You can float more places and then some right now; but, not at the pace you would want. You might want to consider a road-trip with a few friends...(?)
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-10-2011, 10:48 AM

What about a warm water float? Any lakes worth a trip or is it to cold still?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcunnin1 View Post
What about a warm water float? Any lakes worth a trip or is it to cold still?
You can search lake levels and water temps online. I am sure all Southeast Water-bodies will be at high-levels for some time. I would say that they TVA river system will be at high-flow for another 2 weeks at minimum. They may have to hold back on releasing to lower some of the levels downstream. However; the inflow rate is still very high on Norris and the water is about 12 feet above normal levels.

You can always catch fish in high water. The big thing is focusing on safety and being super-mindful of the conditions!

Another idea would be to check out the TN State Park Website and try and fish a few of their small-park lakes.
to choose, to respond, to change.”