Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 PM

Default Best Way Into Townsend From Knoxville?

I am planning on coming down for my spring trout outing about the third week of April. I was wandering about the best/shortest way vs. the best/less incline way from Knoxville, I-275.

My inclination after looking at Google maps is to take I-275/640 to 66 down to 441 at Sevierville. Then down to 321 before Pigeon Forge to Wears Valley and pick up 73 into Townsend. That is the route I am most familiar with, except for 321 to Wear Valley. Don't know about the "hills" in that area. I will be pulling a travel trailer.

Or would it be better/shorter/less incline to take 71/441 from Knoxville to Seymour and then take 441/35 down to Maryville and then 321/73 into Townsend. I have never been this route. Don't know about availability of fuel stops and nothing about the lay of the land. (mountains to climb with the vehicle).

From there I am going into the park on Old 73 to Elkmont campground. Locals! Please advise!

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 03-11-2011, 07:04 PM

I would stay away from anything that is even remotely close to 66 and Sevierville, especially with a trailer. If you need to get to Elkmont with at trailer. Just go Alcoa Hwy US 129 through Maryville on to Townsend. Then of course go Little River rd, since you can't pull much the back way in to Metcalf.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
I would stay away from anything that is even remotely close to 66 and Sevierville, especially with a trailer. If you need to get to Elkmont with at trailer. Just go Alcoa Hwy US 129 through Maryville on to Townsend. Then of course go Little River rd, since you can't pull much the back way in to Metcalf.
Hans,

Are you referring to the traffic in that area or the hills?

I know about the traffic during the day and spring break is always a pain.

That's why I always go through at 2:00AM, but I've never pulled a trailer through there so I probably didn't notice any steep inclines if that's the case.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 PM

I was referring to traffic. If you are coming through at 2 am that point is moot. Anyway, if you are coming from interstate 275 going south I see no reason to go the directions you are suggesting. Longer travel time and more hills. If I were you. take US 129 also known as Alcoa Highway, past the airport through Maryville and then on in to Townsend.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:33 PM

I usually go to Knoxville, past McGee Tyson Airport/Alcoa, Maryville, and then Townsend. Traffic is generally pretty easy past Knoxville. At 2am that might be a moot point. I think it is about an hour from Knoxville to Townsend, but locals can give you a better estimate. I can't think of any hills that would give you trouble.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 PM

Beat by two minutes....
Old 03-11-2011, 07:40 PM

listen to the advice. i live in townsend... road through wears valley is a nightmare, WITHOUT a trailer. lots of SHARP curves and it's up and down. go into maryville, take 321/lamar alexander straight into townsend. logic?: i LIVE in townsend....

Mac29449@yahoo.com
Old 03-11-2011, 07:45 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahighlan View Post
I usually go to Knoxville, past McGee Tyson Airport/Alcoa, Maryville, and then Townsend. Traffic is generally pretty easy past Knoxville. At 2am that might be a moot point. I think it is about an hour from Knoxville to Townsend, but locals can give you a better estimate. I can't think of any hills that would give you trouble.
This is the fastest easiest way to Townsend from Knoxville, just like Hans aslo said. I would be wary of my speed coming through M'ville, the local police do like to hide in wide open places. This is overall an easy drive with some long broad curves, by going to Pigeon Forge and cutting over Wears Valley you are adding distance and time if Townsend is your first goal for arrival.

Vincent
Old 03-11-2011, 08:10 PM

Thanks guys,

That is just the advice I was looking for. I didn't know about the route from Sevierville so that is why I asked the expert locals.

No excess speed here, I can barely stay at the low end of the speed limit! LOL!

Taking your advice Hans, thanks so much!

Thanks again everyone!

Crockett,

Give me a repeater frequency and I'll give you a call when I roll through Maryville!

Last edited by whitefeather; 03-11-2011 at 09:09 PM..
Old 03-11-2011, 10:08 PM

I pull a 22 ft camper to Elkmont 2-3 times a year. I've lived here other than 4 years away for military service, my whole life. Why would you want to go through w. Knoxville then pell. pkway to alcoa, then maryville to Townsend and then have to drive the little river road which is very narrow and winding for what is it?, 18 miles or so back over to Sugarlands to fill up your water tank, and then back another 6 miles to Elkmont. I drive through Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, on up to the gatllinburg bypass and straight into Sugarlands to fill up water and then the 6 miles over to Elkmont for Spring break every year. Not much traffic this time of year. I work in Sevierville and go to PF , and gatlinburg all the time. 3 lanes of level to grad. slopes then 2 lanes easy driving on the spur then the bypass that is not that bad. I pull it with a 1/2 ton pickup with a small v-8. It will gear down pulling up the bypass but maintains a steady 30-35mph. I gear down coming down it to save the brakes. Your biggest headache will be coming off 40 east onto 66 at exit 407. road construction and only 2 lanes each directon into sevierville but if your coming in very early or late its no big deal.
Myself, I would not want to pull a camper, unless it's a popup on LR road. Too many curves with a rock cliff 2 ft off the edge of the pavement and no shoulder. I've met alot of cars riding the middle of the road around the curves on that stretch.
lots of places to stop for gas and groceries in Sevierville and PF.