Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-25-2016, 08:35 PM

Default House Bills Threaten to Give Away National Forests - Outdoor Alliance

Americans collectively own millions of acres of stunning public land, and our vast national lands system is the envy of the world. Over the last year, however, the public land heist has gained momentum, moving from western state legislatures to Congress. Tomorrow, the House Subcommittee on Federal Lands is preparing to consider three bills that threaten to transfer control of public lands to states and private interests.

H.R. 3650 would allow any state to claim ownership of up to 2 million acres of a National Forest (roughly the size of Yellowstone National Park), on the condition that the state then prioritize logging over other uses of the land.

H.R. 2316 would allow states to take possession of 900,000 acres or more of National Forests and hand control over to a small groups representing special interests, appointed by the state?s governor.

H.R. 4579 would undercut potential Wilderness designations and careful land management by handing over travel management decisions of public lands in Utah, owned by all Americans, to a small group of counties.

Collectively, these bills would take lands owned in common by all Americans and turn them over to states, some with a mandate to prioritize timber harvesting. National Forests are owned in common by all Americans, not just residents of the states in which they are located, and have a wide range of stakeholders. These stakeholders include millions of Americans who use public lands to hike, climb, paddle, ski, and mountain bike. Our National Forests also provide wildlife habitat and ecosystem services, and are vital to the $646 billion outdoor recreation economy.

These bills are an attack on public ownership of public lands.

http://www.outdooralliance.org/blog/...tional-forests

Fill out this form to contact your Lawmaker: https://secure.everyaction.com/ZO7RR1xKLkekn-NG5HftJA2
Old 02-25-2016, 10:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

While I am against giving up public land to states to completely control I would like to see more timer harvesting in places such as the Cherokee national forest. Breaks in Tibet not to mention clear cuts themselves are vital to certain species such as roughed grosse and woodcock. We would also see a dramatic increase in the mountain deer herd with some clear cutting... the "special interest group" part scares the crap or of me though. ...and why give our land rights to foreign countries. ..?
Old 02-26-2016, 02:31 AM

I am young, so my opinions and thoughts on things like this are underdeveloped, and I not completely informed particularly on subjects like these. I am sure as time goes on and I see how certain things go in life, that my opinions and observations will change.

I do not have a problem with national land being claimed by a state necessarily(if it is done under the right and specific circumstances), but the contents of this bill are alarming.

The specific provision of logging being the prioritized use of the land is particularly bad, along with the special interest groups.

The part of this bill that is the worst, is the broad nature of the bill. For example it would seem that western states which are the ones driving this bill, would not be particularly affected, due to their larger size, huge national land ownership and lower population density. However for eastern states such as here in Tennessee, just imagine if they decided to take part of the GSMNP and begin logging again.

Secondly this bill does not seem to have any specific provision to protect and restrict valuable land that is used extensively for recreation(fishing hiking, hunting etc) from becoming possessed by the state as opposed to completely unused land that would not affect much.

Simply though, all elements of this bill stink. I do not see any reason to support it, and several good reasons to oppose it.

Thank you for informing us about this FOX.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Ownership transfer to state -> State has to maintain -> State gets in budget crunch -> Land sold to private ownership = Land is no longer public.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
Ownership transfer to state -> State has to maintain -> State gets in budget crunch -> Land sold to private ownership = Land is no longer public.
Or in Tennessee's Case; prominent developer offers tons of money to politician; land gets rezoned and sold to developer.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-26-2016, 10:39 AM

Grannyknot nailed it. I don't know why anyone would think this is a reasonable or good idea. I despise politicians.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:58 AM

This prospect terrifies me. Once land gets developed it is gone forever. I'm sure I'm not alone in choosing to live in East Tennessee because of the publicly available outdoor opportunities we are blessed with.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:42 AM

Should be noted, that these sorts of things are banded around pretty often over the past few years. Private companies (mining/logging/oil/residential development) puts a bunch of money into a politician's campaign with the return promise that this will be introduced as a house bill. They are, but go nowhere.

Here is the tracking on these bills:
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr3650
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr2316
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr4579

Doesn't appear any of these have much of a chance of making it past committee, if even that far.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
While I am against giving up public land to states to completely control I would like to see more timer harvesting in places such as the Cherokee national forest. Breaks in Tibet not to mention clear cuts themselves are vital to certain species such as roughed grosse and woodcock. We would also see a dramatic increase in the mountain deer herd with some clear cutting... the "special interest group" part scares the crap or of me though. ...and why give our land rights to foreign countries. ..?
Not trying to argue with you 2weight, but cherokee nf has some very large areas of both controlled burn and clear cut. Prime grouse habitat. Nobody ever seems to hunt them. I sort of feel like mtn grouse hunting is on a heavy decline as a sport.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:40 PM

If any of you fish Chilhowee Lake in TN you know the fun that is private ownership.

A Canadian power company (Brookfield) has bought the lake and banned all fishing, sitting, or trespass of any kind.

Canadians have posted guards at the boat ramp to prosecute any offenders.

This was one of the best Rainbow Trout lakes in East Tennessee.

If these Bills pass, this could be your story.