Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-02-2015, 01:34 AM

Default Favorite Day Hikes/Fishing Spots

Just curious if you all would share areas that you enjoy hiking and fishing. I know there are a lot of choices for this, but I am interested in trying some new spots. I am thinking of spots around three or four miles away from the parking area.

I am trying to lose some weight and get back into shape, so if I have to hike in to some good fishing spots, than my reward is fishing. I just did Alum Cave Bluff trail up to Mt. Lecont, and that was a bit more hike than I want. It was hard not to stop in that stream too, but I had not brought my gear, and my goal was the peak. (I made it, but I was not sure if I would make it back down. Still sore four days later.)

I am thinking about going any Saturday that the weather is not nasty, so even this coming Saturday looks good so far.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:51 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by danp413 View Post
Just curious if you all would share areas that you enjoy hiking and fishing. I know there are a lot of choices for this, but I am interested in trying some new spots. I am thinking of spots around three or four miles away from the parking area.

I am trying to lose some weight and get back into shape, so if I have to hike in to some good fishing spots, than my reward is fishing. I just did Alum Cave Bluff trail up to Mt. Lecont, and that was a bit more hike than I want. It was hard not to stop in that stream too, but I had not brought my gear, and my goal was the peak. (I made it, but I was not sure if I would make it back down. Still sore four days later.)

I am thinking about going any Saturday that the weather is not nasty, so even this coming Saturday looks good so far.
Most places in the Park are great if you walk 3-4 miles. Problems this time of year will be water temperature. As for places to walk check out this link and you will see you have endless options
http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/vi...3.5166,35.6185
Old 12-02-2015, 11:51 AM

I have never actually fished Alum Cave Creek although I have fished Walker Camp right where it empties in. I wonder if it is too acidic up farther from the trailhead. I have fished every major stream in the park and and I think most of the smaller streams and tributaries.

On the NC side Twenty mile area was nice before the storm added so many blowdowns in the creek but it may still be good if you go up 2+ miles. The best 2-3 mile hike and fish places over there are in Cataloochee area probably just pick any stream.

On the TN side I guess Elkmont area would be the best for hiking and fishing on in my opinion. Lots of options in there also.

My wife and I are trying to hike ever trail in the park so far we are up to 750 of the 900 miles to complete should hopefully finish it around spring of 2017 we started in 2007. I normally fish in the park with my TFO rod but when hiking I have always carried a tenkara rod along with me and fished almost every little stream that looked fishable along the way. There have been many streams that I have never seen mentioned anywhere online that were great fishing and many that didn't produce anything. I caught a Brook trout high up in the Bradley Fork area once in a pool on a tiny little rivulet that didn't even show on the usgs map. A few times hiking in winter we passed streams when I didn't bring my tenkara that looked much bigger than I had imagined as I had never seen a pic of these just seen them on the map. I have a list of some that I need to re-visit. I think finding these streams on your own is much more satisfying than reading about them on a forum somewhere. If you publish them it is robbing someone else of the adventure and experience. It's the real thrill of discovery that I know Duckypaddler has experienced also many times. There is nothing better than sitting down with a map and looking at blue lines then going prospecting. You could spend years doing so and still just be scratching the surface then you will start going off trail to find streams that is the ultimate fun. Good luck Dan email me if you have any questions on a specific trail or area adam.s.beal at gmail

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 12-02-2015, 01:11 PM

Not surprised Ducky did not name fishing holes, here is a picture of him and Steve D on an average Saturday in the park! If he offers to take you check your copay!

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"
Old 12-02-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
Not surprised Ducky did not name fishing holes, here is a picture of him and Steve D on an average Saturday in the park! If he offers to take you check your copay!

That's awesome. I hope my wife never sees this - she'll board up the house and lock me in to keep from going fishing with Duckypaddler
Old 12-02-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsur View Post

Ducky and I need to do a trip then!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:28 PM

Not a big secret....my favorite fish/hike is up the Little River Trail above Elkmont....big water down low and great small water above the forks of the river....a 3.7 mile hike....you can bite off how ever much you want to walk and find fishing just about anywhere along the way....as with all streams in the park, the farther from the parking area the better the fishing.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:09 PM

Thanks, guys. I should have mentioned, I grew up here in the area, so I am familiar with a lot of the most popular areas of the park. I've been fishing up there for several years too. I have fished mostly on Middle and West prongs. I've done some up at Elkmont, but have not gone that far up the trail. Every time I have wanted to hike up there and spend a night or two, they have the campsite closed down due to bear activity.

I've done some on the NC side, but not much.

I like the idea of finding surprise spots. That may just change my approach to my getting fit/hiking/fishing idea.

I hadn't been on here in a couple of years. It is always helpful. Thanks, guys! Oh, and I have a fear of heights, so I will be hesitant about hiking with duckie.