Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-04-2014, 08:56 AM

Default Flies & Fly Hatches of GSM shipping Monday

Word came in yesterday from Stackpole Books that copies of my new book, Fly Hatches & Flies of the Great Smoky Mountains arrived there from the printer. I am told they will be shipping out Monday. They are excited as apparently the pre-press orders were pretty good. I have only seen the galleys, not the book, so I am excited to see it myself. I believe it has 120 color pictures, but none of me with dead otters. I have a book signing at the ICAST Show in Orlando in a couple weeks. If you are there, stop by the Stackpole Books booth and say hello. I'll be passing out Moonpies.

Working out a deal with a new publisher to redo the redid, revised twice guide to the GSMNP. I think this is the fifth deal on that stupid book. I wrote it so long ago that I barely remember being that young. If we do it, the newest new revision of the old book will have color pictures. As you know, color printing had not been invented when I did the first book with the Gutenberg's.

Big changes occurring at Southern Trout. I will share later, but it appears we are on the verge of a deal that will take this rag to another level, including to print. I really don't care. If the deal pans out, it will free me up to launch to more titles; Southern Fly Fishing and then Southern Kayak Fishing. Kinda exciting to see a plan work--Thank you LORD.

Any how, I hope some of you take time to leaf through the new book when it hits the shelf. The inherent problem with it is that I am sure some of the stuff I say in it will be wrong, and because we only covered 120 different flies, a lot of flies people like will not be there. The plan is for a second volume, so if you know of a fly I missed, email me. I am keeping a list of "missed flies," in the event we don't loose too much money on this book.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:54 AM

wish ya luck on the new deals don

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 07-07-2014, 10:53 AM

I just got off the phone with Stackpole. We've got a dozen books on the way. They are $24.95. I'll try to get them on the Online Catalog after we get the book for pictures. You can always give us a call to get a copy.

Daniel
Old 07-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Default books arrived

I got my first look at Hatches & Fly Patterns of the Great Smoky Mountains. I am generally pleased, but I already have a list of about 50 patterns I should have included. No doubt another 50 patterns will be pointed out to me in the near future. It's a pretty book--lots of color. It was a lot of fun putting together this hodgepodge of information. My guess is that LRO received copies yesterday too, so if you are there, leaf through it.

Word is going out today that Southern Trout will be co-published with Stonefly Press (West Palm Beach, FL). We remain at the helm in terms of content for the magazine, which will not change a lot. Stonefly Press will take over sales and associated things that I do very poorly. I like that it gets me out of sales, collections and billings to free me up to sleep a bit later in the morning and reclaim my afternoon snooze. It also allows me to begin work on a second magazine, Southern Fly Fishing. This title will cover warm/cool freshwater quarries as well as saltwater species.

This weekend we're off to the ICAST Show in Orlando. Upon returning we will decide more on Southern Fly Fishing. As it stands now, it may launch as early as October, or perhaps the first of the year. The saltwater market/interest is really robust, and muskie madness on a fly is pretty hot too. I suspect we'll even cover carp (oh well, we have them in our family too...).
Old 07-10-2014, 01:58 PM

Default Books are here!

Hatches & Fly Patterns of the Great Smoky Mountains just rolled off the UPS truck. It looks like it is full of great history and info. (Most of the patterns in the book you are going to have to tie yourself because they aren't available from the commercial fly companies.)

Stop in or give us a call.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 PM

Hi Folks,

You can buy Don's book on our online store. Free Shipping of course. Click the link below:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/sto...cat=995&page=1

Byron