Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-03-2015, 04:32 PM

Default Bow and arrow cast accuracy

How accurate are you on a bow and arrow cast? I'm not very accurate at all and I'm wondering if it's my technique or do I need more practice? Or is it normal?

Thanks in advance,
hNt
Old 02-03-2015, 04:44 PM

I just realized I didn't tell how accurate I am. If a hole of water is around 3 ft to 4 ft square I can usually hit it but there is no telling where in the hole it will hit. While if I'm casting normally I can usually hit in an area about the size of a trash can. Thanks again
Old 02-03-2015, 05:53 PM

Fish streams that force you to BaA cast for a month straight (5-8 trips) and you will astonish yourself at how accurate you can get. These are streams that don't require you to jump to cross the streams aka Rhodohell. Within 10 feet, teacup size targets should be batting 1.000 (I am talking single fly rigs) It is like everything else with fly fishing, PRACTICE! Make sure to have the same "starting position" every time, ie are you holding the fly in your left hand beside your ear, behind your head or in front of your eye. With time, just like your regular cast, you can change all of the angles to where it really does not matter and you don't think about it. Hope this helps and makes sense.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:34 PM

Talking

I'm pretty lousy at it but I need more practice. It's hard to practice in real world scenarios when you know it will just lead to a bunch of hang ups, but I'm sure that is what it will take. My fishing buddy Freddie has a deadly Bow and Arrow cast shooting fly deep under banks of rhodo. Always seems to be an eager fish (that doesn't get cast to much) when he does it too

Practice Practice Practice
Old 02-03-2015, 06:51 PM

Default Tenkara Archers

Now I have not done it, but I've watched some of the Tenkara flicking flies into coffee cups. My guess is that Tenkara is better suited for this type of trickery than is traditional fly fishing tackle.

Some years ago I went on a float trip down the Ogeechee River around Statesboro, GA. We were in a pirogue boat the old guy had inherited from his great grandfather. I was too scared to move in it. Talk about tipsy.

Anywho, we were after redbreast bream. The old man fished with a single-piece pole that was about 10-feet long. I am pretty sure it was from a cane brake along the river. He would hook a live cricket and then sling shot shot it up under the over hanging trees. Not only was he very accurate at doing this, but not once did he disturb one of the no-shoulders snoozing above the water.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kirk View Post
Now I have not done it, but I've watched some of the Tenkara flicking flies into coffee cups. My guess is that Tenkara is better suited for this type of trickery than is traditional fly fishing tackle.

Some years ago I went on a float trip down the Ogeechee River around Statesboro, GA. We were in a pirogue boat the old guy had inherited from his great grandfather. I was too scared to move in it. Talk about tipsy.

Anywho, we were after redbreast bream. The old man fished with a single-piece pole that was about 10-feet long. I am pretty sure it was from a cane brake along the river. He would hook a live cricket and then sling shot shot it up under the over hanging trees. Not only was he very accurate at doing this, but not once did he disturb one of the no-shoulders snoozing above the water.
No shoulders and a tipsy boat!!! I'm out!!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:01 PM

You probably just need to practice more.

While this has nothing to do with your post, it does pertain to now and arrow casting. I still remember the bow and arrow cast I made into a dinner plate sized hole in a stream thats 5 to 6 feet wide at best. I pulled a 12 inch fat wild brown out of that little bitty hole, I will never forget that.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodohunter View Post
Within 10 feet, teacup size targets should be batting 1.000

Teacup! I'd be tickled to death to hit a 5 gallon bucket at that rate!! Sounds like I need lots more practice. I can't wait to go get some