Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-24-2015, 09:55 PM

Default Not Lynn Camp

I had some free time Sunday and decided to go hit the Park. Figuring that the place would be crowded with fishermen and the majority of them would be fishing Lynn Camp, I decided to wait until the rain moved in before going, and stay as far away from Lynn Camp as I could get. My original intention was to target browns, hitting the trailhead and hiking a ways up, fish the last 2 hours of daylight and hike out in the dark. As I headed up the road, there was not a soul fishing roadside.

Change of plans. I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. So, I started hitting all my favorite roadside runs. I'd fish a section, jump back in the car and hit another. Since I was targeting browns and there was a recent thread on fishing mice, that's what I started with. In the first hour I had one missed strike. I'd had a small brown shoot the entire length of the river and nail my mouse, but I was not prepared and set the hook way to early on nothing.

There were no significant hatches going on, but every fly that floated by or even hovered near the surface brought a fish jumping from the depths. Before long I was soaked and had one missed fish to show for it. I changed to a size 12 parachute adams. This time of year is the only time I ever bother trying to match the hatch and a size 12 parachute adams is just the ticket.

I immediately started catching fish. And some decent ones at that. I usually lose count of how many fish I catch after about 3, but I caught a lot more than that; browns probably outnumbered rainbows 2 to 3. Nothing large. Here's a few pictures from the trip. Excuse the quality and lack of quantity, but it was raining and my fanny pack (I grew up in the 80's and that's what we called them) is waterproof but my camera is not. So, it stayed in the fanny pack most of the time.

First fish. Always take a picture of your first fish, it might be your only.

First brown

Random run

Downstream from same spot. It had quit raining so I snapped a couple quick stream pictures.

Average brown. This one was healthy looking, but its colors were washed out and just looked weird. Not the typical burnt butter I'm used to seeing.

Hope you enjoyed. I'm off to catch some largemouth and bream this weekend before our turkey season kicks in.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

I think one of my favorite aspects of spring is that its about the only time of year I consistently catch 3 browns for every rainbow! I love it! Just wish I knew where they all went come mid may!!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:49 PM

Great pics. I can hardly wait for my chance to catch a few in April_ __
Old 03-25-2015, 01:41 PM

Nice!! By the time I get there in June I couldn't buy a Brown! Nevertheless I am some kind of looking forward to some of that scenery, a few Bows and a few Brookies.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:28 PM

FUNNY!! That's the same stretch I fished on Tuesday!