Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-21-2016, 10:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default little river 2-21

Hit the little river with some friends this morning for some late winter pre spring action. We stated off at daylight, and to start the weather was beautiful. We had a nice orange sky at dawn with an awesome warm breeze. The water was strong ut by no means high but still a little chilly, so we went strait with some double nymph rigs. It didn't take long at all to catcha few fish, and I lost about a 12-14 inch fish within the first hour. By 9:30 the weather changed. the wind started blowing, rain started falling, and I could now see my breath... however, the fishing stayed great. in the second stretch we fished a few smaller bows were caught and I lost a nice 14+ inch brown. I didn't feel too bad about losing the fish however, because a few casts later I landed a nice 12 inch brown to make up for it. We fished a few more stretches of water until about 12:30 catching fish from pretty much every good looking run and hole.
early in the morning I saw a few BWOs, however nothing I would call a hatch. other than that and the odd ball small stonefly the bugs were non existent.
Im not sure how many fish we caught, over 30 but under 40 for sure, most of which were decent sized bows. Even with the rain and wind is was great to get out, and id say we are not far from seeing some surface action. The fish definitely seemed more than eager to strike, so I think the nymphs are definitely moving around and getting ready.