Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-01-2016, 02:34 PM

Default navigating the Clinch

I'm getting ready to take my aluminum 14-ft semi-V boat down the Clinch for the first time. My outboard isn't working, so I'm planning to float from Peach Orchard to the 61 bridge and take out there. I have a 55-lb trolling motor for navigation power. I've floated the Clinch a couple of times in drift boats, but one of those times was with 2 generators running. The first time there was one generator running, and I remember a single large shoal that was a bit tricky. Any suggestions for navigating the Clinch?
Old 11-01-2016, 06:57 PM

Well that depends on flow but I have driven that stretch in an 18 ft center console several times when they are generating. Other folks on here will be able to tell you better than me if there are any areas to be overly concerned about on low flow. The shallowest part is the mile maybe a bit more immediately above the highway 61 bridge
Old 11-02-2016, 06:16 AM

I would not plan my first drift when the water is down. You will spend most of your time dragging the boat off the shoals and snagging your trolling motor every few seconds. A good alternative would be to wait for the generator to kick on and drift with the flow.

Be mindful of Johnson Shoals, ColdWater Farms Shoals, and do not let yourself get pushed up sideways against anything. Also; loosen the tension knob on your trolling motor and just lift it up when you go over shoals.

Check out the ColdWater video on my YouTube Page to see how I cross it. I usually hit it about 25 feet off the right bank.

Take plenty of water, food, and some lights in case you need them.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-02-2016, 11:57 AM

Default Johnson Shoals

Shawn,

Is Johnson Shoals downstream from Coldwater Shoals? I am familiar with Coldwater Shoals, but I have only floated the Clinch once on only one generator. I do not know the name of the shoal that we crossed that was a bit dicey, but it was the only one that was rough at all. We need a video of Johnson Shoals.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smctrout View Post
Shawn,

Is Johnson Shoals downstream from Coldwater Shoals? I am familiar with Coldwater Shoals, but I have only floated the Clinch once on only one generator. I do not know the name of the shoal that we crossed that was a bit dicey, but it was the only one that was rough at all. We need a video of Johnson Shoals.

No, this is the branch of shoals right below Peach Orchard boat ramp. It used to be a ferry crossing because of its shallow depth. It is not that treacherous. However, it can be tricky to navigate on a busy day. The key is to the bow pointed in line with the seams, be ready to lift up the trolling motor (slide it up), have an oar handy to push and keep you straight.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-03-2016, 09:44 AM

Default mystery (to me) shoal

There is another shoal downstream of Coldwater Shoals that seemed a bit tricky to me when I floated it with a guide in June. There was one generator running, and the water was pretty rough. It would be scary to me if I were the pilot of the boat, at least the first time I crossed it. Does that shoal have a name, and what is the best path for crossing it?
Old 11-03-2016, 09:32 PM

Looks like my boat's maiden voyage will be with my ignorant self at pats.

I'm hoping I can catch one generator, put in at Peach Orchard and go to the jail.

Any advice for a first time drift boat rower?
Old 11-04-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Bone View Post
Looks like my boat's maiden voyage will be with my ignorant self at pats.

I'm hoping I can catch one generator, put in at Peach Orchard and go to the jail.

Any advice for a first time drift boat rower?
I like to think about "keeping my a$$ out of trouble..." I point my nose at whatever thing in the river I want to avoid, and backrow my a$$ out of there obviously way over simplified - but it helped me to keep that thought in mind when I first started.

Here's some more detailed info: http://www.flyfishingtraditions.com/...wo-the-basics/

Good luck

Todd Baker