Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-20-2015, 12:23 AM

Default little help with strike indicator?

I'm new to fly fishing. My question is ive read to put the indicator 1 1/2 x the depth your wanting to fish? What ive read is says to put the indicator on your leader. What if your fishing really shallow can i put the indicator on my tippet? Might sound like a dumb question but like i said I'm new to this.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:14 AM

I've fished one as shallow as 10" before, normally if i'm that shallow i prefer to put a dry fly on & add the dropper.
One other thing, that shallow, i use as little yarn(indicator) as possible to keep the depth.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:05 AM

Thanks grumpy! Wasn't sure about that
Old 06-20-2015, 11:54 AM

new2fly,

When you get out on the water try to observe what the fish are doing...are many fish hitting near the surface? The 1 1/2 depth is a general rule but I adapt to where the fish are feeding in the water column. Sometimes on the Clinch I have my indicator less than a foot from my fly because they are feeding near the surface. I recommend the stick-on Palsa indicators when first starting out and I still use them actually. They are light-weight plus they create very little noise when hitting the water. The only downside is you cannot adjust them unless you apply a new one. You can stick them right on your tippet as well.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:37 PM

Thanks lonely midge. I bought some orvis foam stick on indicators that i really like. Your right you can't adjust them but the pack came with white yellow orange and pink.12 each so i don't mind adding a new one.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2fly View Post
Thanks lonely midge. I bought some orvis foam stick on indicators that i really like. Your right you can't adjust them but the pack came with white yellow orange and pink.12 each so i don't mind adding a new one.

Check out the Turn On strike indicators LRO sells. They work and are re-useable. You can add them even after the line and tipper are tied together. They can all be removed and adjusted very easily.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:34 PM

Thanks Jay.i will check them out.